Sani pass

rudi-h

I have cycled and driven up Sani twice, but never in snow. The way down on a bike is crazy. I must agree with the comment to not attempt without a 4x4, and any sedan that makes it to the top will not do so without damage to tyres (especially front wheel drive) and burnt clutch.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Any of you folks who have cycled up the pass, how long did it take you and from where? Also, are you skinny climber dudes or not? I plan to do this in December, probably from the Sani Backpackers.

Any of you folks who have cycled up the pass, how long did it take you and from where? Also, are you skinny climber dudes or not? I plan to do this in December, probably from the Sani Backpackers.

Need to do it quick before it is tarred for extra bragging rights! I've only been up to the pub once (via car) and saw a few backpackers walking up. So worst case scenario you can walk up the last bit before you enjoy a beer :-)

Yeah, I walked up about 6 years ago in the winter, was awesome. My plan is to ride before the tarring is done, otherwise just take the road bike I guess. Though, its not really the same hey.

I've ridden it from the border post. Took under 2 hours but cant remember exactly how long. I wasn't that fit but do only weigh 68kg.

Coming down is super fun though. Takes 15 mins max!

Also something to keep in mind, the weather changed quite rapidly and is not the same at the top as it is at the bottom so take a wind jammer or a support vehicle with some extra layers if possible.

Fun day out nevertheless.

4 of us did it a few weeks back. Weather conditions were perfect, road in the best condition I've seen it and it was still a bit of an opfok. Traction near the top was an issue and the air is thin. Still worth doing though. Just take note that if the weather is good at the bottom, it may be a very different situation at the top. Make sure you have wind jackets available. Must try Maluti beer at the pub on top.

You need to do it from the tar road for it to count.

We did it as a day4 at this years Sani2C, was really cool.

Here is video with GPS data overlayed so you can see gradients etc.

Also, hows this, no matter where you are in Africa you have to deal with taxi's!!

this also gve you an idea how steep the last 1.5km is!

Gees that profile looks lekker! When is the best time of the year to go?

How far is accommodation from Jhb?

Would love to pack the bakkie and make a weekend out of it with some mates!

We're a few mates that will be riding Sani Pass the coming weekend. Starting just outside Himeville up to the top of Black Mountain and back.

Anybody who did this recently that has any info on the ride?

PS, we'll be riding up, but the girls :nuke: :nuke: :nuke: might want to ride up with a car. Can one get up there with a 2X4 bakkie (with diff lock) or is it 4X4 only?

Only problem I can see with this plan. :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Does anyone know when they're going to tar it? Been wanting do this trip. Also where is the best/ cheapest place to stay?

Does anyone know when they're going to tar it? Been wanting do this trip. Also where is the best/ cheapest place to stay?

There is a backpackers about 7km from the start of the pass on the tar road. Very nice and very inexpensive.

We entered one year for the Transfrontier 42km.  Due to issues with the roadworks near the hotel etc we ended up starting from the auction yard. A 42km ride ended up as a 68km ride. Lets just say that it was the longest time that I have EVER spent on a bicycle saddle and that if it wasn't for the mate that I was riding with I would never have made it to the top. Not enough food, water or stamina.....

That medal hangs proudly in my cupboard

We did it as a day4 at this years Sani2C, was really cool.

Here is video with GPS data overlayed so you can see gradients etc.

Also, hows this, no matter where you are in Africa you have to deal with taxi's!!

this also gve you an idea how steep the last 1.5km is!

what did you shoot this on - a Garmin VIRB Elite ?

Archived