Sani pass

rudi-h

You need to do it from the tar road for it to count.

We did it as a day4 at this years Sani2C, was really cool.

Here is video with GPS data overlayed so you can see gradients etc.

Also, hows this, no matter where you are in Africa you have to deal with taxi's!!

this also gve you an idea how steep the last 1.5km is!

what did you shoot this on - a Garmin VIRB Elite ?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Amazing to Think that in the Sani Stagger Marathon the front runners turn at the Top in 1h40-1h43 and come back in 1h20-1h23 for a Record 42.2km 2014 Time of 3h03.

That would put them 2nd in the Strava Cycling Stats.

Edited by Ferret69

Amazing to Think that in the Sani Stagger Marathon the front runners turn at the Top in 1h40-1h43 and come back in 1h20-1h23 for a Record 42.2km 2014 Time of 3h03.

That would put them 2nd in the Strava Cycling Stats.

I fairly certain even I would beat them on the return journey, tho  :whistling:  

• 1 year later...

Very keen to do this ride, where would you recommend to park your car. If we weren't staying in the area? At the back packers or at the boarder post?

Very keen to do this ride, where would you recommend to park your car. If we weren't staying in the area? At the back packers or at the boarder post?

At the hotel - although you should really do the full out and back from town.

Did this years ago from our holiday house in Underberg, stayed at Sani Top Chalet and then went back down the following day.  Was an awesome experience.

• 1 month later...

Awe thread!!!!

Planning a manne MTB weekend. When would be the best time to do this, end Sept or end Nov?

How is the backpackers?

Sani top is cool for a beer or lunch. Rather overpriced for what you get , so I would stay at the Sani backpackers or the hotel. Backpackers is quite simple but good value. Hotel a little more upmarket.End September is probably better from a weather point of view. End November could be quite wet if we have a normal spring. Both are good places to start if you want to ride the pass. Remember to take your passport. ID books are no longer accepted at the border post.