Route markings with paint in pristine landscapes. F****!!!

HAKAHANA TRAILS

Pity.

Plascon Remove-all. It's used in the Table Mountain reserve for graffiti and is biodegradable. Works wonders, suggest it to the farmer.

Today I lived and learnt! :thumbup:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pity.

Plascon Remove-all. It's used in the Table Mountain reserve for graffiti and is biodegradable. Works wonders, suggest it to the farmer.

Yip, the stuff is pretty impressive, can even be used to strip a frame to bare metal!

Dont use paint for a temporary trail marker .... seems obvious. Every sq.m of land in SA is owned by somebody so it is real important to have owners permission for permanent markers

Pity.

thanks. I'll suggest it to the organizers and sponsors (now that we have worked out who is responsible).

Follow the paint * runs to the hills*

Thanks Gen..... where are they ? I normally start in moonooi and ride the barnards vlei dirt road, all the way up to the mountain.

Thanks Gen..... where are they ? I normally start in moonooi and ride the barnards vlei dirt road, all the way up to the mountain.

I was joking. . And referring to the topic ha ha sorry bad joke.

Talking about the Mooinooi area, anybody who can help me with some nice trails in that area?

Mooinooi - such a beautiful name!

The one race I helped to mark, I wanted to use droppers (was on a gravel road in a game reserve where they asked to mark the route in this way) with coke bottles painted white, that could be collected after the race. The droppers had to be at a height that the animals could see, but the one lady decided that paper markers would work better. Went out the Friday night, marked the route and had a huge storm that night.

So non of the markers were left. Went out after the race, collected the droppers (told the lady to get her paper from the ground) and left no damage to the environment. Even did the route again to clean up after the people who dumped 3 wrappers on the route.

So there are other ways to mark a route. Yes it is more expensive to mark the route with droppers, but at least it left no lasting impact on the nature reserve.

Oh and the lady asked me to help her do the event again at the same reserve, but I told her to forget it. The last time I wanted to use a 0% footprint, but she decided to cause pollution by using paper

Dirtopia (Meurant Botha) organize races in the Cape. They mark with different coloured plastic arrow signs on metal frames hammered into the ground. Short route green, long route red, medium route blue type thing. The initial cost must be high, but the signs get re-used many times over. It works in all weather and it leaves no footprint after removal. It is highly visible and works very well. I'm sure someone upcountry has the same system.

Hectic...but I do hope that all the riders safely discarded their used energy bar/protein bar wrappers... :whistling: