Bycycle Imports

DieVlieg

Does anyone have experience bringing in a bicycle you bought on a overseas trip and bringing it in as luggage.

Does customs check the bicycle or does one have to declare it to customs. Is it possible to pretend you took it with in the first place or is the best just to pay up.

I have a beaut in Sweden waiting to come make love to SA trails.

http://www.blocket.se/helsingborg/Cube_stereo_120_hpc_race_29_53526414.htm?ca=23_11&w=3

Does anyone have experience bringing in a bicycle you bought on a overseas trip and bringing it in as luggage.

Does customs check the bicycle or does one have to declare it to customs. Is it possible to pretend you took it with in the first place or is the best just to pay up.

http://www.blocket.s...tm?ca=23_11&w=3

From what I have heard, and I stand to be corrected, take an old frame or bike with you and replace it with the new one when returning Edited by Wil6

From what I have heard, and I stand to be corrected, take an old frame or bike with you and replace it with the new one when returning

And yet again, that would be committing fraud. You won't get jail time for it, but SARS / Customs will sure make you pay.

Duties on full bikes are at 30% of the value, plus VAT. Remember to ask the guys to take the VAT off, or claim it back from the little VAT recovery department at the airport.

Saying that, even though it's immoral, you will probably get away with it and not have to pay anything. But if you get caught... Don't tell us we didn't warn you.

EDIT: Oh - and if you have a bike coming back, where you didn't have one going out, you will need to declare. It's normally noted against your departure that you have a bicycle / golf clubs etc etc.

Edited by cpt armpies mayhem

And yet again, that would be committing fraud. You won't get jail time for it, but SARS / Customs will sure make you pay.

Duties on full bikes are at 30% of the value, plus VAT. Remember to ask the guys to take the VAT off, or claim it back from the little VAT recovery department at the airport.

Saying that, even though it's immoral, you will probably get away with it and not have to pay anything. But if you get caught... Don't tell us we didn't warn you.

That

There is a nice afrikaans saying..."is die kool die sous werd?"

i know a lady at customs, im going to give her your details and ask her to organize you get "special" cavity search, ALEXANDER LOMBARD :ph34r:

Where's our resident Customs employee to comment?

Now, THAT is a SHWEEEEEEEEEEEET ride :thumbup:

Jup me think so too. And the Swedish Krona is also not that bad against the ZAR. R1 will buy you Kr 0.65. My brother stays there and that makes everything so much easier. He comes over every second year and our family goes to visit there regularly. Myself has never gone but have received an ultimatum to come visit.

I've taken a bike out more than once to ride & have never been questioned once about it on my return.

Mates from overseas have brought and taken back bikes often to ZA and none have ever been asked or questioned.

It's only a bike !!

Not sure where it is noted on departure! as it is handed in at check in

Edited by bloss

Take a bike bag with you - pack it in the bag and come back. Say you were on a cycling holiday.

I have done it a number of times. I have been stopped but have always had an explanation plus been carrying a helmet and ensured i have some really dirty chamois in the bags....

I have spoken and received lots of advice from Hubbers who import Chinese carbon frames and how to avoid paying tax for importing "Gifts". Some okes even resell on the hub. Lets not start a raid on here about what is moral or not. This can even end up as a political debate if you want.

DIPSLICK, Do as you please. I love using my real name on forums as it keeps me responsible for what I say. I might not always make sense or be correct. Unfortunately due to some people acting like asses I no longer associate myself with my place of work as people feel their anonymity vs my openness should and must give them an advantage.

Try the legal way.

There is no duty payable on bicycle parts, so buy everything except the wheels which you can get here.

When stopped at customs you can tell the truth without any problem.

I ave done ir twice..

Take a bike bag with you - pack it in the bag and come back. Say you were on a cycling holiday.

I have done it a number of times. I have been stopped but have always had an explanation plus been carrying a helmet and ensured i have some really dirty chamois in the bags....

Will do this one. (Oom Zuma has his nkandla and I will have my bike)

That

There is a nice afrikaans saying..."is die kool die sous werd?"

Het jy die bike gesien? Sy is dit werd. Gan sommer al daar begin toer. In die somer in Swede sak die son nie rerig nie. Die fiets gan tweedehans wees met import.

http://www.blocket.se/helsingborg/Cube_stereo_120_hpc_race_29_53526414.htm?ca=23_11&w=3

I was in the same boat. Bought a bike in Canada and brought it over. They wanted me to pay taxes but I kept to my story. They say even if the bike is 2nd hand you have to pay taxes. They can even tax you on your own bike if you don't declare it when you leave the country(that's what my friendly customs agent told me) I pleaded ignorance when they told me I should have declared it before I left.

So basically, if you bring it as luggage it can go either way. Ask the guys that went to the alps if they had any problems on the way back?