Effing import duties!

AndrewF

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's R2180 for items costing R2100

Sheet! Something wrong there. Ask them for a breakdown of the costs...

Watch out for the new(?) Extra charge from couriers listed as "Disbursement Fee". This gets added on to Shipping and Duties right at the end before delivery or collection may take place.

An article valued at around R500 will have a "Disbursement Fee" of R150.

Don't know whether this fee rises as the item value increases...

Edited by play fair

Duty on clothing is either 40% or 45% depending on the product and composition. To calculate VAT, uplift the invoice amount by 10%, add the Duty and X the total by 14%. Clearance fee should be around R25 per entry

Watch out for the new(?) Extra charge from couriers listed as "Disbursement Fee". This gets added on to Shipping and Duties right at the end before delivery or collection may take place.

An article valued at around R500 will have a "Disbursement Fee" of R150.

Don't know whether this fee rises as the item value increases...

Recently had a package from the UK which was sent via courier, value war R700.

Dawn Wing phoned to ask if I wanted to use my own clearance agent or was ok for them to handle it, I agreed to let them handle it.

When their invoice came it with a "documentation fee" of R180 and an "agency fee" of R180 (R360 total), plus they still added VAT on that.

I complained and apparently it's a standard fee but they agreed to drop the "documentation fee".

I order lots of bike stuff from overseas and I work on an average duty of 20% and this

also applies to the two pairs of shoes I recently received. Never 40 or 50%, leave alone

100% or more. Better query that.

Sounds like you were not charged Duty. A bicycle parts purchase (Duty free) normally costs me around 16% on top of the listed price. This is made up of VAT and bank charges on my credit card.

I have had the same problem with some stuff imported - "take it or leave it" was customs' response. also about 100% of the value. THIEVES!

Had a similar issue, R4000 clothes (gift) wanted R3400, I was a student, could not afford, told post office to send back. Got the refund and got EFT'd the R4000. Maybe just send it back.

Do you have contact details for this?

in the link provided (see below). If you cannot get it re-assessed to something you can live with then do as others have said, request it to be sent back to supplier, discuss with supplier and ask for a refund of the original purchase.

• For further Customs queries, please contact our office at:

Physical Address: JHB International Mail Centre, Corner Jones & Griffiths Road, Jet Park long term parking

Telephone Number: 011 390 1962 Fax: +27 (0) 11 961 6077