How tough is the 1 Tonner

Dazshell

So, I am coming to Cape Town for my daughter's birthday in October. Turns out it is the same weekend as the 1 Tonner. I was going to have a chillax looong weekend after doing, hopefully, a sub 3.30 AmaShova the weekend before, but this one is tempting me now and I will be there anyway.

Will my legs hold up on Hellshoogte? Is the extra 54kms more than 'Shova going to kill me.

Apparently the Westcoast race at Langebaan is also that weekend. Which is the better race?

If you are not trained and prepared to roll for 4.30-5.30 hrs in the saddle, other than preparing for a century race, it can be tough.

Its a great race, if you stick with the bunches it is decent.

If the wind picks up it can be a sufferfest.

I could worry about riebeck Kasteel climb more than Hels hoogte.

Plenty of water stops along the way, good ride to do.

Will my legs hold up on Hellshoogte? Is the extra 54kms more than 'Shova going to kill me.

Apparently the Westcoast race at Langebaan is also that weekend. Which is the better race?

If you start in the middle groups the climb up Hells is fairly relaxed as it is right at the start and most riders are saving themselves for the long distance.

I didn't find the Riebeeck Kasteel climb that tough, but again it depends on where in the field you are.

What made the race tough last year was the conditions, strong headwind the last 50km and heat later in the day made for a sufferfest if you lost your group. Who knows what the weather will do this year?

The West Coast race is the week before the one tonner.

So, I am coming to Cape Town for my daughter's birthday in October. Turns out it is the same weekend as the 1 Tonner. I was going to have a chillax looong weekend after doing, hopefully, a sub 3.30 AmaShova the weekend before, but this one is tempting me now and I will be there anyway.

West Coast Express is 12 October...same day as Shova

West Coast is a week prior like others have already said.

The extra 50k must not be underestimated.

It can really hurt if you are not suitably prepared.

But seeing as you'll be here, why not give it a bash.! :thumbup:

Climbing is not my problem. Staying with a group is my nemesis. I always seem to fall off the back of the bus.

The one thing I remember from the terrain in Durban is there is no flats. but alot of rolling hills.

I think you will find the terrain much more friendly apart from the mentioned hills.

New to CT, was planning on doing the 1 tonner and the west Coast express.

Are there any other good road races around CT before the year end?

shova is downhill,

this is a windy sufferfest where its every man for himself

No ways boet! Of the 106kms over 44kms are uphill including the first 16kms. There is a common belief that Durban might actually be higher than PMB!