Comrades 2015

RABUBI

oh...and get someone to evaluate your running style early on.....and do 30 squats once a week!

Thanks guys,

So it starts...

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We're getting paranoid as well! ;)

ALucas, best advice is to rest and some stretching. I'm also spending more time in the pool this month - great recovery.

Good luck to all running, and see you all at the Finish Line! 

Thanks will hopefully see you and the wife on the road at Big C.

24 Days, Cant Wait

Only Decided to do Comrades after 2Oceans.. (got a sub entry from a mate) so Mileage started a Little slow but had a good 395km April....

On just over 1220kms so far, hoping to get to race day on 1450km

Just the small issue of Sani2C to get through next week first before I can start a proper taper...

Bring it On

Will be my 3rd and chasing the illusive sub8....

So, those Fantastic Plans of hitting the 1450km mark didn't quite happen...

At least I kept Rubber side down at Sani2c Last week and didn't come back with any injuries, albeit a bit of Flu...

Haven't had the Running shoes on since the 10th May, (left to Sani on the 12th to ride the Adventure) so just gonna ease into the Taper now and hit the Start Fresh and Eager (hopefully) with about 1375kms under the belt...

Still plenty more than I did in 2012 or 2013 so still reasonably confident of a good run...

How's the rest of you crazy peoples Taper going?

At least I kept Rubber side down at Sani2c Last week and didn't come back with any injuries, albeit a bit of Flu...

Haven't had the Running shoes on since the 10th May, (left to Sani on the 12th to ride the Adventure) so just gonna ease into the Taper now and hit the Start Fresh and Eager (hopefully) with about 1375kms under the belt...

Still plenty more than I did in 2012 or 2013 so still reasonably confident of a good run...

can still feel my knee niggling...so resting it up entirely this week till saturday...did 2 fast track sessions on the grass on sunday and monday (22km and 10km) so knee is definitely easing up..just hope it will be ok on the hard tar. Reckon im gonna do a 15 on Sat and then a few short runs during the week next week (all gonna be track work)

Good luck to everyone....i will be glued to the TV on race day, with hopefully a run thrown in between.

My wife has convinced me to do the Big C next year....will be our 1st.  Never done a marathon on its own, except for the long run/walk after IM....3 times.

Never liked the run but i think it is time to commit and train.

Hopefully i see most of you on the start line in 2016

Good luck to everyone....i will be glued to the TV on race day, with hopefully a run thrown in between.

My wife has convinced me to do the Big C next year....will be our 1st.  Never done a marathon on its own, except for the long run/walk after IM....3 times.

Never liked the run but i think it is time to commit and train.

Hopefully i see most of you on the start line in 2016

I also want to do it next year. Think it sounds like a great plan..

a little too well  :D

post-21056-0-61343000-1432187617_thumb.jpg

well that makes me feel a whole lot better!...but id rather have your taper an no knee worries!

attachicon.giftaper.JPG

I want to do my 6th one next year, but I also don't want to give up cycling for 6 months. How do you fit your running into your cycling. How do you Balance both?

I want to do my 6th one next year, but I also don't want to give up cycling for 6 months. How do you fit your running into your cycling. How do you Balance both?

if cycled once this year :(

I have a new found respect for triathletes...to train for three different disciplines must take immense sacrifice

I started running end of feb, never really liked it, always said I will never do the comrades. did the 2oceans, and after that I was thinking about it. hurt my knees and itb's out of inexperience and now the comrades has become something I need to do and envy you guys for going. good luck to everyone, hope the hours on the road pays of and you have a great run.

You definitely don't have to Give up one to Prioritise the Other..

But I believe you do need to Prioritize 1 slightly..

I have Mountain Biked over 2200km since Jan 1st and Run just over 1350kms, with my Main Focus being Two Oceans and Comrades..

However in the Build up I have Done Garden Route 300, Argus, and Sani2C this year..

Personally I think the running Helps the Biking more than the Biking helps the running.

So I pretty much run the 80/20 Rule with Regards to Running/Cycling (Workout based not time or you wont get many Biking Miles in).

However leading up to a Cycling Race I add a few weeks of Biking Intensity just to get some Power back, as the fitness is already there from the running...

You will be surprised how fit you still are on the bike from all the running, my Average HR for the whole of Sani2c this year was around the 118mark... granted that was a reasonably chilled just sub13 Hour Sani in the Adventure.

At the very Biggest Block week in Comrades Training you may be running 10-11hours at Most, Compared to maybe a 20 hour week you would be putting in building up to a Epic or even an Ironman, so there is always time for a pedal.

I have Mountain Biked over 2200km since Jan 1st and Run just over 1350kms, with my Main Focus being Two Oceans and Comrades..

However in the Build up I have Done Garden Route 300, Argus, and Sani2C this year..

Personally I think the running Helps the Biking more than the Biking helps the running.

So I pretty much run the 80/20 Rule with Regards to Running/Cycling (Workout based not time or you wont get many Biking Miles in).

However leading up to a Cycling Race I add a few weeks of Biking Intensity just to get some Power back, as the fitness is already there from the running...

You will be surprised how fit you still are on the bike from all the running, my Average HR for the whole of Sani2c this year was around the 118mark... granted that was a reasonably chilled just sub13 Hour Sani in the Adventure.

At the very Biggest Block week in Comrades Training you may be running 10-11hours at Most, Compared to maybe a 20 hour week you would be putting in building up to a Epic or even an Ironman, so there is always time for a pedal.

Oh man, that's some good news. thanks a lot. Pm Sent

100% - although you get to like that bang for buck that running provides

2 hours of running is the same as 4+ hours of cycling...so your family get to like you much more for it. I definitely focused on one discipline this year - it being my first...but next year will definitely fit in a lot more cycling.....I have been given a lot of flack for my lack of cycling...blondieonabike reckons she wants to get me voted off the hub cos I dont cycle anymore!  :lol:

Ca

100% - although you get to like that bang for buck that running provides

2 hours of running is the same as 4+ hours of cycling...so your family get to like you much more for it. I definitely focused on one discipline this year - it being my first...but next year will definitely fit in a lot more cycling.....I have been given a lot of flack for my lack of cycling...blondieonabike reckons she wants to get me voted off the hub cos I dont cycle anymore!  :lol:

Cant Agree More, Running is the value

Comrades Marathon - R380 Entry Fee - 47 Fully Stocked Waterpoints (Water/Coke/PowerAde/Potato's/Oranges/Chocolate etc etc etc) - Up 12hours of running

Std 100km Cycle Race - R400odd - 1 or 2 Points, maybe water and Coke, 90% of cyclists wizz past - 3-4hrs

Std Average Triathlon (1500/40/10) - R750- R900 +  - Nothing on Bike, maybe 1 or 2 on Run with water/coke if lucky - 2.5 - 4 hours...