Rim Tape

Longbarn Killer

I use insulation tape if I don't have proper rim strips. Over 20 wheels are currently rolling the roads on bikes I've donated with 3 layers of black 3M insulation tape between the tubes and the spoke holes.

Yip, it works very well, but not for tjoopliss.

Luckily the OP is on tjoops .

I've found that silicon tape works the best, easy to remove if need be, you don't spend hours trying to remove excess glue on the rim that gets left behind when you remove the old rim tape, and seals brilliantly, also pretty cheap at around R60 which is good for both wheels.

Can I use normal insulation tape instead of proper rim tape?

It's for a mtb wheel with normal tubes.

It appears that most responses assumed you were asking about tubeless.

Insulation tape is for insulation. In an emergency you can use it to prevent damage to your tube, but it leaves a sticky residue. If you do use the insulation tape, increase it's chance of success by filing off the protruding bits of the spoke ends ( which is what damages your tube)

Personally, gorilla tape seems to work better than stans, and its cheap enough even if you're not running tubeless

25mm wide, R50 for a roll at builders

Can I use normal insulation tape instead of proper rim tape?

It's for a mtb wheel with normal tubes.

A lot of people are talking about Gorilla Tape........what is Gorilla Tape? is it a type of duct tape?

I kept getting punctures in the same spot on my road bike and I realised the rim strip wasn't doing its job. I stuck some normal duct tape at that spot and haven't had a problem yet.

Edited by Eugene

A lot of people are talking about Gorilla Tape........what is Gorilla Tape? is it a type of duct tape?

I kept getting punctures in the same spot on my road bike and I realised the rim strip wasn't doing its job. I stuck some normal duct tape at that spot and haven't had a problem yet.

Yes it seems that its a brand of duct tape, though I haven't seen it myself here on any shelf although cant say I have made an effort to notice, 3M is normally the one I go for, they are not all equal. What i have found with el-cheapo duct tape brands on other applications is that the adhesive can go 'off' after a while and it becomes less sticky.

Rim tape is probably about R200-250 retail here, and its really a unique type of tape, You spend how much on rim,. tyres, hubs, groupsets etc? yet want to skimp on the correct tape? I don't get it.

There's a pic of the famous Gorilla Tape. Builders Warehouse R52.27.

(2.5cm x 9.14m) - no need to cut.

Best rim tape for tubeless.

post-3806-0-83781100-1409577657_thumb.jpg

It appears that most responses assumed you were asking about tubeless.

Insulation tape is for insulation. In an emergency you can use it to prevent damage to your tube, but it leaves a sticky residue. If you do use the insulation tape, increase it's chance of success by filing off the protruding bits of the spoke ends ( which is what damages your tube)

If the spokes are protruding through the nipples then they're the wrong length.

Insulation tape works fine for double wall rims with tubes, but it's not the right stuff. The proper stuff is a cloth or plastic rim tape which is sold as rim tape.

Gorilla tape works well for tubeless conversions on non-tubeless rims, as does normal gaffer tape. Stans tape works well on tubeless rims, since that's what it's designed for.

If the spokes are protruding through the nipples then they're the wrong length.

Insulation tape works fine for double wall rims with tubes, but it's not the right stuff. The proper stuff is a cloth or plastic rim tape which is sold as rim tape.

Gorilla tape works well for tubeless conversions on non-tubeless rims, as does normal gaffer tape. Stans tape works well on tubeless rims, since that's what it's designed for.

Droo....what the hell is gaffer tape?

Droo....what the hell is gaffer tape?

It is what gives film crew "credibility" ... tough, tears clean and comes off without leaving a residue

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/indepth/sites/default/files/maingrips-w-belt.jpg

There's a pic of the famous Gorilla Tape. Builders Warehouse R52.27.

(2.5cm x 9.14m) - no need to cut.

Best rim tape for tubeless.

This^^ don't waste your money on Stans tape for tubless.

It's also decently thick so can be used as normal rip tape as well.