Bike Choice - Giant Anthem 29 vs Silverback Strada 1

Etienne Van Niekerk

I am in the market for a new bike. I have been offered a Silverback Strada 1 for R26k and a Giant Anthem For R24k. Giant has Fox CTD front and rear with XT/SLX Drive train. Silverback has Fox in the rear Rockshock SID up front and also XT/SLX drive train. WHat are the opinions out there. Currently on a Silverback Mercury Sport

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an Anthem(my bike has been build up) if you are going full suspension you wont get better then an Anthem that maestro suspension is just flawless, the frame is also extremely light even when compared to Carbon frames. I had a Silverback before, but I will newer trade an Anthem for any other Full suspension. Go for an 2014 Anthem you wont regret it,

I looked at the same two bikes two weeks ago.

It didnt make sense to pay more for the silverback when the anthem gets such amazing reviews.

Its really hard to beat the anthem.

I have an Anthem(my bike has been build up) if you are going full suspension you wont get better then an Anthem that maestro suspension is just flawless, the frame is also extremely light even when compared to Carbon frames. I had a Silverback before, but I will newer trade an Anthem for any other Full suspension. Go for an 2014 Anthem you wont regret it,

Agree 100%

Why not look at a trance?

anthems are great bikes but the trance is just that much better and seeing as you are not a podium racer you might aswell go for the added comfort and control and alround awesomeness of the trance :D

but if not then anthem...

Just my 1zim cent worth.

Edited by eye i

Had the same choice to make and loving my Anthem, never rode the Sprada more than parking lot ride so can't comment on how it rides.

I was in the same boat two months ago, although I was choosing between the Sprada 27.5 and the Anthem 27.5. My LBS offered me the Anthem 1 (Full XT) at a better price than the Sprada 1 so I obviously took the Anthem. I would say take the Anthem, both are bloody awesome bikes though.

oh and take your wife out for a nice dinner when you break the news of said purchase...always factor this into CTC....(cost to cycle)

True, I had to get my wife a Juicer, I still owe her a gas oven/stove, a Kenwood Mixer and have to scrub her heels every now and again... but it was worth it.

Rouxtjie, you got away easy.

Edited by Catatonic_Joe

Just to add fuel to the fire.

i moved from an anthem to a Silverback Sprada 1.

The suspension is a lot similar to maestro. More travel. Better wheels.

I am absolutely in love with the silverback. IMO it is a better bike. I found the Giant cockpit too tight, and the head angle to relaxed.

If you are 185+ in height, the silverback will probably suit you better like in my instance.

OH, and Giant do not offer lifetime warranty.. it is 5 years.

Silverback is 3 years