scratched stanchion... please help!

popcorn_skollie

Got a little over ambitious down Alice in Wonderland i think it was on sunday morning. Took a tumble. Nothing serious. There was no impact as such.

No air or oil leaks as yet. seals seem fine...for now anyways.

Been reading up about all sorts of fixes. Wondering if any lbs in cape town actually does them. Or if there is a mad scientist out there who knows what to do

this is the fork

http://www.marzocchi.com/template/detailProdotti.asp?idC=1528&IdFolder=113&idMY=30710&IdOggetto=30803

post-55369-0-50566300-1409744188_thumb.jpg

post-55369-0-84437000-1409744190_thumb.jpg

i "fixed" my fox using wet 1400 grit sandpaper, epoxy,elbow grease and patience-

sand the worst of the roughness off , then took epoxy resin filled the "holes" and let it rest overnight then 1400 again seems to be working so far...

Scratches are quite high up so you may get away with it. Maybe add a bit more air to make them a bit firmer. Otherwise a fork upgrade may be in order.

Oof. That's a proper one. Fortunately it's pretty high up, so it'll only affect the last 40mm or so of the stroke.

Your main mission is to make sure that there's no metal protruding from the scratches that will rip the seals. 600 grit sandpaper will sort that out in a few minutes. If you then want to fill the scratches with epoxy and sand them flush again, that's up to you - IMO it's not necessary for the amount of oil you'll lose from up there.

Had a similar issue. You're lucky its at the top of the stanchion. I used the finest water paper i could find to smooth out the burr's. Haven't had any serious issues. Maybe i have just been lucky. There are a number of posts online on how to do it though. Do your research and ask the LBS how they plan on trying to remedy the scratches. Remember, as it is not an approved fix, even if they stuff it up, they will more than likely tell you you need a new stanchion.

I would try decent quality black nail varnish - do a couple of layers, waiting untill each layer is 100% dry before applying the next. once you've filled the scratches - take 1200 or 2000 grit water paper and just make sure that it's super smooth - sanding it lightly with water, then possibly take a buffing wheel - and lightly buff it.

hmm i see your problem may have come from the bike trowing you off, long travel bikes dont like xking tires up front bud :ph34r:

as for a remedy........... i have no idea but eish and i am sorry. good luck with whatever fix you choose.

I would try decent quality black nail varnish - do a couple of layers, waiting untill each layer is 100% dry before applying the next. once you've filled the scratches - take 1200 or 2000 grit water paper and just make sure that it's super smooth - sanding it lightly with water, then possibly take a buffing wheel - and lightly buff it.

Industrial designers and water paper hey... you never forget.

Eeish sorry to see that man. I reckon you have missed a bullet though, near the top of the travel and as long as it's smoothed off and won't damage anything in the lowers, seals/bushings etc it's fine. Probably won't even lose to much oil from a mark that high up, if it was in the earlier part of the stroke it might have affected stiction negatively and allowed a fair amount of oil to weep out with each stroke.