Review: Onza Canis 29 x 2.25 Tyres

Matt

The one positive thing about the Canis 120tpi is it gave me a very good ride on the Trans Karoo. I had them on 3.5 bar and seeing as the road was not very rocky it all went well. That is because that is what they were designed for. 

When I fitted them I did not know the difference between 60 and 120 TPI or even what TPI meant... and so we learn. School fees paid  ^_^

If you ride Crossmarks long enough you adapt to their limited grip and they way it fades as you near 10,000km. Great for a fun rider, commuter or anyone not to concerned about racing. 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

fade?

do you mean how they start to steer right or grip levels drop from 0 to - numbers?

When they start looking like this and you have gone beyond 10,000km they tend to grip a bit less than new.

post-38519-0-95225000-1460902825.jpg

One thing's for sure, Roux. You certainly don't need side knobs cos it looks as if you only go in a straight line... 

Mostly yes and I take my corners like I take my brandy, slowly  :whistling:

When they start looking like this and you have gone beyond 10,000km they tend to grip a bit less than new.

post-38519-0-95225000-1460902825.jpg

That tyre is faaarked  :eek:

You'd be surprised how much more life you can get from them if you just apply super glue to the damaged areas. 

Don't want to hijack this fred but anyone have any experience with the Crossmark 'II' tyres?

attachicon.gifmaxxis-Crossmark-II-mountain-bike-tires02.jpg

Havent seen these yet, but they look a lot more grippy than the normal Crossmark and I might give them a go if they become readily available at my Lbs.

That is if they come in something wider than 2.1 though,if not they wont see anything other than the rear rim on my bike.

Sent from my S40 using Tapatalk

Just completed the Gravel & Grape on a set of Onza Canis - the "toilet paper version"

For those who do not know, the Gravel & Grape takes part in the Breede River Valley, and each day you spend at least a 3rd of your ride going through un-manicured, rockey footpaths and trails. A lot more testing terrain than what the regular Cape Town events offer.

On day one, I had my bit of bad luck, when I cut the beading of the tire, which is a true recipe for disaster, as one cannot plug it - it is normally a very tiny cut on the beading itself, just where it enters / meets the rim. Some proper sealant took care of the cut, and I did not have any other problems for that stage, or the rest of the event.

The other two stages, was ironically also full of sections of very gnarly rocks waiting to cause havoc, but the tires took everything that came their way.

VERY happy with them, again, if the sidewalls withstood the trails of the Breede Valley, it sure is a compliment.

Have not read any of the other comments above, but as for tires, I personally believe, if it is your day, it is your day - yes, lighter tires will add more risk, but I have seen my friends on the so called bulletproof tires, get sidewall cuts, whilst I was riding the same events, with a lighter tire (thinner sidewall), without issues.

Glad you enjoyed the race. Now that you have seen what the terrain in the Breederiver Valley looks like you know that this is rough stuff.

This is why I will always recommend Crossmarks in my valley. However, as I've said previously the Crossmarks do not suit my riding style, to little grip on them. The current Onza's are wont last long, as youve seen for yourself, on our trails.I am very happy with my Vitorria Barzo/Saguaro combo on my 29" XC bike,they offer a very good balance between grip, weight and strength.

I would like to try Onza's on my 26" 'trail bike' for better grip, but would prefer if they were to import a UST/full tubeless type tyre.

Glad you enjoyed the race. Now that you have seen what the terrain in the Breederiver Valley looks like you know that this is rough stuff.

This is why I will always recommend Crossmarks in my valley. However, as I've said previously the Crossmarks do not suit my riding style, to little grip on them. The current Onza's are wont last long, as youve seen for yourself, on our trails.I am very happy with my Vitorria Barzo/Saguaro combo on my 29" XC bike,they offer a very good balance between grip, weight and strength.

I would like to try Onza's on my 26" 'trail bike' for better grip, but would prefer if they were to import a UST/full tubeless type tyre.

Onza are a full tubeless tyre and they only bring in the 26" tyres with FR casing.

Onza are a full tubeless tyre and they only bring in the 26" tyres with FR casing.

Thanx for the correction Robodog,I was sure that I'd read something about 'tubeless ready' on a Onza a while ago. Will check with my Lbs what they can get for me.

Had a look again today,this is what I saw previously aswell.In my mind I compared this to the Schwalbe tueless ready tyres wich have extremely thin sidewalls. 70782f64f2a0f722270a64642ae7886d.jpgOnly 26" tyres available at my Lbs are Crossmarks wich I have mentioned before I'm not keen on riding with, especially on my trailbike. But there seems to be light at the end of the tunnel, my Lbs have some Onza Ibex 26"×2.25 on order for me. Looking forward to giving these a go.

Had a look again today,this is what I saw previously aswell.In my mind I compared this to the Schwalbe tueless ready tyres wich have extremely thin sidewalls. 70782f64f2a0f722270a64642ae7886d.jpgOnly 26" tyres available at my Lbs are Crossmarks wich I have mentioned before I'm not keen on riding with, especially on my trailbike. But there seems to be light at the end of the tunnel, my Lbs have some Onza Ibex 26"×2.25 on order for me. Looking forward to giving these a go.

And you're in luck - that's the FreeRide Casing, which is their toughest. 27.5 & 29 don't get brought in with that casing, and have to get teh normal 60tpi and paperthin 120tpi

How would one identify the difference between the 60tpi version and the 120tpi version. They are already mounted and the packaging long gone.

Thanks

Paul