Review: Onza Canis 29 x 2.25 Tyres

Matt

Need to replace my back tire, was thinking of the onza canis but from reading all the comments here im a bit skeptical, are people having sidewall cuts from the 120tpi or 60tpi tires????? Continental tires getting too expensive!

120tpi is the toiletpaper version. 60 is the stronger. I'd recommend it all day long. 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah my next set of tyres were also going to be Canis + Ibex, but now I'm having doubts...

Maybe Goma + Saguaro rather..

Yeah my next set of tyres were also going to be Canis + Ibex, but now I'm having doubts...

Maybe Goma + Saguaro rather..

Don't. As long as you go for the 60tpi version you'll be fine. All the complaints are in the 120tpi version which are like toilet paper.

After topping up sealant tyre seems to be holding pressure. Wife bombed it a couple of times when out a tvan gaalens last weekend, so I suppose it affected the sealant.

She has not complained about lack of grip, and she really tests them out properly. We have very rocky terrain up here, and it has been doing fine this far.

Not a bad tire all in all, but not something I will ride personally

yeah, the bomb would have had an effect for sure.,

Oh - it makes a fantastic rear tyre, but agreed - wouldn't use it on the front myself unless I was doing XCM. 

Going back to LUST Crossmarks. I had these fitted less than 2 weeks ago. So thankful that it lasted throughout my 5th TransKaroo. Today the rear tyre got a cut in Grabouw. I need reliability above everything else

"What tyre " debates make for great entertainment...

On za canis 120tpi see really good tyres if you run them with enough air.

They, like any other thin walled tyre , won't last if converted to tubeless. The 120tpi is a race day tyre. Not a training day for riders with no finesse. Think of them as tyres for 650b riders

Having read posts about sidewall cuts so many times on this hub and happening to ALL kinds of tyres I'm inclined to start think thinking that the occurrence of sidewall cuts is much more a skills/rider related issue than an actual shortcoming of the tyre.

Maybe the more experienced riders around here can jot down a couple of pointers on how to ride sensibly/cleverly/light to minimise sidewall cuts - that might just save us/me/you a whole lot of irritation/money instead of chopping and changing one "bad" tyre for another .

Likely a bit of bad luck, although I have heard from others using the 120tpi that with the thinner sidewalls they're susceptible to cuts. 

The thicker 60tpi I reviewed here only came off the bike in Feb this year. They held up impressively well in some seriously rocky terrain in Lesotho Sky 2014 and a bucket load of Epic training thereafter. 

I'd recommend opting for 60tpi if you'll be riding rockier trails.

I'd like to know what pressure (per rider weight) are these okes running that were getting these side wall cuts...

The rear tire on the missus's bike has been losing pressure of late, without any signs of puncture.

Last night after washing the bike, I found the "rabies" foam of leaky sidewalls.. so much that I could hear the air escape...

Tires are a couple of months old. Planning to take it back to the LBS in order to get some kind of resolve (new rear tire)

Was this pumped up with a hand/floor pump or CO2?

Having read posts about sidewall cuts so many times on this hub and happening to ALL kinds of tyres I'm inclined to start think thinking that the occurrence of sidewall cuts is much more a skills/rider related issue than an actual shortcoming of the tyre.

Maybe the more experienced riders around here can jot down a couple of pointers on how to ride sensibly/cleverly/light to minimise sidewall cuts - that might just save us/me/you a whole lot of irritation/money instead of chopping and changing one "bad" tyre for another .

What tyres are u running Naas?

What tyres are u running Naas?

Schwalbes mostly, both Racing R & Rocket R, both are SS. Have tried an IKON for the TK at the back to gain on less rolling resistance - kept it on for yesterday's Trucape - had no issues.

I have run the EVO Scwalbe RR and never had a problem with them. Too low pressure and they just skwirm about on the rim. They need around 23-25psi to even begin to feel like they doing anything.

I now have the SS version. Run those at 20 psi - no grip.

run them at 23-25 psi, hey presto grip and no punctures or sidewalls failures.

Strange that that is the exact pressure Schwalbe recommends as a minimum......wow. would never have though the people who designed the tyre know more than the end user.

Same with the Canis.

shirts not rocket science. Read and apply. go ride

sorry for the sarcasm but each time I see someone with a blown side wall its on technical terrain and tyres look and are flat. But a friend whose brother in law's cousin rides with a guy who works with the 2nd cousin of the wife of a guy at a tyre brand said lower is better...