How many plugs........

Justriding

At what point does multiple plugs in a tyre start affecting the performance of a tyre or is it just the eye sore of seeing the bulging brown goo that should make you put on a new one?

I see plugs as a temporary repair: when you have the time you can repair the hole ' proper' with a traditional vulcanise patch from the inside, so its down to how much time you have to fix it properly because that means taking the tyre off, cleaning the gunk out and the area to be patched etc refilling with sealant, doing sealing procedure etc

Edited by kosmonooit

A plug is way more permanent than a patch on the inside of the tyre. In many cases a patch will not stick on the inside of a tyre. If it bugs you take a black permanent marker and color it in.

A plug is way more permanent than a patch on the inside of the tyre. In many cases a patch will not stick on the inside of a tyre. If it bugs you take a black permanent marker and color it in.

Did you miss my bit about cleaning the inside of the tyre?

Did you miss my bit about cleaning the inside of the tyre?

No I did not, but I am speaking from experience. I have tried to patch a Maxxis Icon which had a sidewall cut. I cleaned it thoroughly and could not get the patch to stick, I even took it to several places that do vulcanizing and they could not help me.

If it works for you great, but IMHO it is not necessary to remove a perfectly good plug to try and patch the inside of the tyre. The plug is designed to block the hole and it does just that.

I leave them in until I need to replace sealant (every 3 months or so) It adds character.

But, when I do take them out, I stitch the tyre back together with needle and dental floss, then stick an old piece of tube to the inside of the tire to create an additional barrier...

The latter repair has worked on a 1 inch gash on an almost brand new tyre. No way I was gonna replace it.

I leave them in until I prepare my bike for a stage race. Then new rubber goes on. Its rather crp to have a DNF on a stage race you paid good money for because a plug decided to go AWOL.

Why take them out ? Replaced my tires after over 3000km and it had about 10 plugs !

Dont HAVE to, and one of mine (a wolverine) had a few in for as long as I had it, but yeah. Looks better when stitched and patched.

Nothing reminds you of a plug as much as that duk duk duk duk as the wheel turns

So true that, will drive me to frikkin drink!