2015 Giant Reign 2 availability?

Brawler

26er or 29er? Will be interesting to hear how the Reign compares to it, on the way up. I think it will feel better, regardless of which one you had.... The Maestro system really deserves all the Kudos it gets. I never even lock it. Trail on the way up and descend on the way down.

26".

It didn't climb all that well as I am 1.86m and it was a medium. I just couldn't get comfy and the power down no matter what I did. I wasn't convinced with the FSR suspension either. Also DH tyres (to make it descend better) didn't help...

Look, the Reign is def no mountain goat but most reviews I have read say it climbs phenomenally for a 160mm bike. I only read one negative review on its climbing ability.

I'm hoping the correct size, 27.5 and maestro suspension will help things but I didn't buy this bike for its climbing ability.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm hoping the correct size, 27.5 and maestro suspension will help things but I didn't buy this bike for its climbing ability.

I know I know, but unless you only do shuttle days, you still have to pedal to the top :)

I know I know, but unless you only do shuttle days, you still have to pedal to the top :)

My reign x still pedals pretty well.

Well, it'll be better when I have a volume reducer for the shock!

26".

It didn't climb all that well as I am 1.86m and it was a medium. I just couldn't get comfy and the power down no matter what I did. I wasn't convinced with the FSR suspension either. Also DH tyres (to make it descend better) didn't help...

Look, the Reign is def no mountain goat but most reviews I have read say it climbs phenomenally for a 160mm bike. I only read one negative review on its climbing ability.

FSR and all the rest aside, you were definitely on the wrong size bike. Have you ordered a Large Reign?

Had my first ride yesterday on this beast. It really is a monster! Compared to my old Stumpjumper FSR (Medium) this Large Reign is so much longer, wider bars and I feel a lot higher too. Maybe its the 27.5 wheels.

I need to make a few adjustments to the seat and bars to get the setup right but the bike climbed pretty well. The bike being the right size for me made all the difference. I'm probably the most unfit I have ever been as I haven't been riding for a few months and have had a mild back ache that just won't fully go away but even with that I was able to ride up most yesterday.

On the way down this thing just eats the trail. Ended up going right over a whole bunch of stuff that I would previously tried to go around.

Both front and rear suspension actually working and super plush. The suspension isn't quite perfectly set up yet though, the fork is a little too hard (pumped a tad too much, easily resolved) and the shock a little too soft. Anyone have any tips on setting up the Rockshox Monarch Debonair RT? On the shock it says max PSI of 350 and online it says I must pump it up to 350 IFP. What is IFP? My shock pump only goes to 300 and its set at about 280 now and its fine, not bottoming out but I suspect on the bigger stuff it will.

Thanks.

Although surely the PSI should be dependent on my weight?

Anyway had another ride today, this time at gspot and I'm even more impressed. After many hits to the main line I didn't need to push up once, something I have never been able to do. So that pretty much for me confirms that this bike is a far better climber than my old bike.

On the first run down the shock was a bit springy and I was leaning a bit too far forward and nosediving. Adjusted the shock one click towards the 'tortoise' and on the next run was immediately at home on the bike and hit all of the big jumps with ease. Bike jumps super well. Best bike i've ridden. Stoked.

post-10402-0-73892600-1411935371_thumb.jpg

i dont ascribe much to the prescribed sag. While its a good starting point, ultimately, what pressure's in the shock or fork is very much up to you, as there's also rebound and compression damping that come into play. So i'd suggest you set your sag according to the guide, which relates to your rider+kit total mass, and then play around with Rebound and compression. if you've run out of options there, then play around with the pressures.

Sounds like a blast of a bike. My 2013 reign needed a lot of shock and fork tweaking. I suspect because it was all Fox. How was teh bar height on the climbs, bearing in mind you don't have travel adjust. I use my lower position (120mm travel) a lot on climbs and even flatter descents where the weight over the front helps with cornering? Oh, ya, what is the weight like?

Archived