Cyclist down at Llandudno entrance

Bernard Horn

This has gone awfully quiet...

Any updates on Alriza's condition?

Progress with promoting cycling safety awareness?

PPA Executive meeting (referred to above in kandui's post #164) that was to take place on Monday (6th?) - any developments?

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The family is keeping things deliberately quiet around her condition. Both for establishing a calm environment around her so that she can heal as well as to allow a formal legal process to gather momentum in a factually correct stance, rather than the emotionally charged event it already is.

There are many cycling safety initiatives already up and running. I think the value for us as a community would be getting to understand what each one specifically focuses on and where they have the greatest presence, so that we can plug into whatever works best for where each of us are located around SA. PPA has traction in CT. BicyclesafetySA exists, but I don't know what their charter really is or where their focal point is? (Guessing it is in Jozi, based on where the people promoting it are from)

As a member of the PPA I am genuinely hoping some of the PPA execs will put out some info around their plan of action related to this specific event soon.

The family is keeping things deliberately quiet around her condition. Both for establishing a calm environment around her so that she can heal as well as to allow a formal legal process to gather momentum in a factually correct stance, rather than the emotionally charged event it already is.

There are many cycling safety initiatives already up and running. I think the value for us as a community would be getting to understand what each one specifically focuses on and where they have the greatest presence, so that we can plug into whatever works best for where each of us are located around SA. PPA has traction in CT. BicyclesafetySA exists, but I don't know what their charter really is or where their focal point is? (Guessing it is in Jozi, based on where the people promoting it are from)

As a member of the PPA I am genuinely hoping some of the PPA execs will put out some info around their plan of action related to this specific event soon.

PPA should be hosting events from 1 Sept till April every weekend, this way cyclists have an alternative.

Thanks for the update.

PPA should be hosting events from 1 Sept till April every weekend, this way cyclists have an alternative.

Which is fantastic, that there are such regular races. What is being done for the rest of the time when you are training to actually enjoy the competitive experience on those race days??

Which is fantastic, that there are such regular races. What is being done for the rest of the time when you are training to actually enjoy the competitive experience on those race days??

PPA not doing it at the moment.

There should be events each weekend sat and sunday. (they do not all need to be timed) Just have a set route with bike Marshals and seeded groups (which they already have) If you dont charge entry fee you could even avoid those pesky event criteria. - Example: route starts here, route is x, groups will leave in 2 min gaps, each get a bike Marshal and off you go. You would have to stop at stop streets etc, as not timed, people wont care. Safe. Sort of like HUB rides on a large scale.

I find my weekday early morning rides I am back before retards get on road.

Evenings you can ride Killarney.

That would cover 95% of your riding unless you ride during the day or chose not to take part in PPA weekend rides.

Let PPA spend money on actual cycling events, get the specialized organizations to deal with road safety.

PPA not doing it at the moment.

There should be events each weekend sat and sunday. (they do not all need to be timed) Just have a set route with bike Marshals and seeded groups (which they already have) If you dont charge entry fee you could even avoid those pesky event criteria. - Example: route starts here, route is x, groups will leave in 2 min gaps, each get a bike Marshal and off you go. You would have to stop at stop streets etc, as not timed, people wont care. Safe. Sort of like HUB rides on a large scale.

I find my weekday early morning rides I am back before retards get on road.

Evenings you can ride Killarney.

That would cover 95% of your riding unless you ride during the day or chose not to take part in PPA weekend rides.

Let PPA spend money on actual cycling events, get the specialized organizations to deal with road safety.

It is great that the PPA have through all their years continued to grow and put on more events throughout the year. I remember during the 1990s when the calender only had road rides from spring through to the Argus and then there was nothing. The January and February time would see a different race on both days of a weekend and get decent support at each. So yes, the possibility to host more does exist, but like you say they need to look at something that does not necessarily involve all the timing and other bits that mean huge entry fees and come up with something creative as an alternative. Therein lies the space filled by cycling clubs at the moment. So it would have to be something that involves the club structures too, yet is unique enough to get participation.

All of that aside though, the PPA should expand it's cycling safety program as it has something specialized organisations don't. Critical mass from the target group, namely us cyclists. We're already a captive audience, who are all super amped to see safety go to a new level. They should carry this banner more than simply lobbying for a 1.5m law change.

PPA has instructed a legal mind to keep an eye on the case and report back if and when there are developments.

The Hub is not necessarily where PPA or members or the Executive are going to for information. I suggest you start sending your suggestions, criticisms, demands, etc  to the PPA office directly.

info@pedalpower.org.za

If it's in response to this accident, then put Alriza in the subject line.

Hi guys,

There has been a bank account opened for those who would like to help with Alriza's medical bills, she still has a long, long way to go. Not sure if I am allowed to post details here but if you would like them, please PM me and I will share.

Hi guys,

There has been a bank account opened for those who would like to help with Alriza's medical bills, she still has a long, long way to go. Not sure if I am allowed to post details here but if you would like them, please PM me and I will share.

That guy who knocked her over, must pay for all the bills and damaged...

It is great that the PPA have through all their years continued to grow and put on more events throughout the year. I remember during the 1990s when the calender only had road rides from spring through to the Argus and then there was nothing. The January and February time would see a different race on both days of a weekend and get decent support at each. So yes, the possibility to host more does exist, but like you say they need to look at something that does not necessarily involve all the timing and other bits that mean huge entry fees and come up with something creative as an alternative. Therein lies the space filled by cycling clubs at the moment. So it would have to be something that involves the club structures too, yet is unique enough to get participation.

All of that aside though, the PPA should expand it's cycling safety program as it has something specialized organisations don't. Critical mass from the target group, namely us cyclists. We're already a captive audience, who are all super amped to see safety go to a new level. They should carry this banner more than simply lobbying for a 1.5m law change.

when the ppa was run from jasmine griffiths car boot there were funrides every weekend from sept to May.now what do we locals get for our buck from the ppa?

when the ppa was run from jasmine griffiths car boot there were funrides every weekend from sept to May.now what do we locals get for our buck from the ppa?

That's what I was getting at...

• 4 weeks later...

Don't you just love our Judicial system ....

All rights and privileges given to the perpetrator and none to the victim !

He goes on Holiday whilst Alriza has to recover !