Dropper Seat Post Query

Rodsmyboy

I am looking at replacing my seatpost on my MTB with a dropper post.

However, I sit with the problem of where should I buy one and which one is the better of the lot? 

RockShox Reverb, Reverb Stealth, CrankBrothers, Thomson Elite????

Anyone have an idea or some sound advice on this or whether I should rather not get a dropper post....?

Bud, a dropper post will change your riding life. Just do it! Now! Depends how much you want to spend. In my opinion the best brand is KS Lev. I have bought four of them and have not had one minutes problems. A bit pricey but worth every penny. Contact jason at International trade.

Best piece of kit I bought for my bike - I've got the Specialized Command Post. Automatically drop every time I head downhill.

Just keep in mind your weight when considering a post - the one I have isn't really designed for people over 100kgs, not too sure if the other brands have the same issue.

Tom

Also got the giant, it is my first, and had the idea that maybe if it was not so good I would upgrade later. Over a year now, and the only minor hassle I had was to replace the seat allen bolt.

I am really pleased with it.

Go for the Giant if it will fit. I have had the crank bros, was not the best and I had the KS Supernatural, which is great and is still working perfectly on a friends bike, 2+ yrs later. Been riding the Giant for almost a year and its great apart from only having 75mm travel, or 100mm if you get the 400mm post.

I have the Lev. It's been great, apart from the flippin kevlar string that connects the actuator to the cable snapping. Good thing it's easily replaceable with something more hardy. Otherwise - If I were buying new I'd get the reverb stealth or lev integra. They're the ones with the least reported faults.. stay very far away from the Crank Brothers ones though. Useless.

Been through 2 x Rock Shock Reverbs.... 2102 and 2013 models - both had air bubble / bleed / seal issues and were replaced under warranty.

Whilst RS were great with both repairs and warranties, I decided hydraulic droppers were a pain and went the route of a simple, cable-activated alternative.

I chose the KS Supernatural and have 3 of them. Not a days' problem with all 3 over the past 18+ months in all weather, through all seasons. As smooth as hydraulic with no fuss, zero maintenance.

Seriously worth a look as a fit n forget option.

I just got the reverb from chain reaction cycles and I'm very happy. A lot cheaper than buying locally and the shipping is free. Arrived in 3 days.

I have a KS LEV. The main reason i got the KS, I liked the cable setup. Its not under the seat so it doesnt move or create a loop when you drop the post. I also preffrered the cable actuation over the hydraulic actuation....just simpler. Never had a minutes problems with it.

Its the best upgrade you can do on a bike. But you need to check your budget because its also one of the most expensive.

+1 on the dropper. It's a must have in my books. The reverbs are very nice in that you can decide how much you want to raise or drop it. Not sure whether the other brands have that feature as well.

Just a quick unusual question, do you guys put them on a 100mm XC bike?

Put them on anything - lowers centre of gravity on the downhill and gives you more confidence which means more speed (or stupidity)

Put them on anything - lowers centre of gravity on the downhill and gives you more confidence which means more speed (or stupidity)

That was the answer I was looking for, thanks. On a downhill I always feel someting up my ass, so I was wondering about getting one.