Giant Anthem 29er frame broke

Pacman777

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bad luck bud, Sorry. Get it exchanged, maybe get a better size so you don't have to run post so far out? Whatever you do, don't buy a Spez mtb.

What happened with spez that you're so anti?

What happened with spez that you're so anti?

You mean you have not been sued yet? Using such defamatory as spaz ... sorry spez!

giant have 5 year replacements on their bikes just go back to the shop they wil sort it out fast

I also thought there is only a 5 Year but was informed that Giant had changed it to lifetime as long as you are the first owner.

Quite a few of the Club members had Anthems that the frame broke or crack. All the frames was replaced in a week without  ANY issues.I just sold my 2011 Anthem X1 and ordered the 2015 Anthem Advance.  That is the reason why I only ride Giant bikes..... 

It's a weak spot on the anthem. Happened a lot to them. I believe the new model is much better

It's a weak spot on GIANT.  Still Happens on a lot of them.  I believe the new models isn't much better.

There I fixed it! :thumbup:  :thumbup: :thumbup:  

I had a Reign - craked in same place, My friend had a Glory - cracked in same place......

It's a weak spot on GIANT.  Still Happens on a lot of them.  I believe the new models isn't much better.

I had a Reign - craked in same place, My friend had a Glory - cracked in same place......

This is the sole reason why I will never buy a Giant again - poor engineering that they haven't resolved in 8 years!

The top tube / seat tube design has been fixed on the 650b Anthem and I'm told that the same fix/design will be implemented on the 29er versions in the 2016 models.

I had an anthem that cracked there. I replaced the 385mm stock seatpost with a 420mm when I got the new frame and it's been ok since.

You'll get a newer version if the one you have is no longer available, but you won't necessarily have much choice in the colour scheme.

Not sure if it has been covered or asked, so sorry for duplication if already brought up:

is the failure common to a specific frame size?

Everyone always talking about cracks on the Anthem but you mention the same failure on two other frames as well.

Just curious if failure is specific to frame size?

Guess like I'll probably get the same model as replacement then.  From all I've heard, their service is good ito replacement.  My biggest problem though, is that this may happen during a stage race.  From the posts it seems that the seat post may be the issue so I will try a longer post as beanz suggested.  It irks me a bit that I should spend money to cater for a design shortcoming...

post-65603-0-42755700-1414477465_thumb.jpg

At Sani2C, saw 2 identical breaks on Large size frames, after day2. One guy bailed at that point. The other gent  got it welded, glued, cable tied, pop riveted for day3. Don't know if he made it though, but it was a brave attempt by the bike shop to try & assist. As a lay person, I just think there isn't enough real estate on that tapered top tube join, to dissipate a rough landing. 2cents.

If its a big concern, get the replacement and sell it on before you put any miles on it.

Then look at a different brand....

Archived