The 36One MTB Challenge

TrailWarrior

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so i managed to win one of those final 10 entries, just got an email from dryland today about it, maar ek is pennieloos voor Vrydag  :(... i don't know how they work with substitutions... solo mens entry.

iemand nog op soek na 'n inskrywing? ek kan moontlik help.

i'd love to do the race... but i'm just too poor.

Edited by bobbejaan

so i managed to win one of those final 10 entries, just got an email from dryland today about it, maar ek is pennieloos voor Vrydag :(... i don't know how they work with substitutions... solo mens entry.

iemand nog op soek na 'n inskrywing? ek kan moontlik help.

i'd love to do the race... but i'm just too poor.

i don't understand, do you have free entry to give away? If so I might be interested.

i don't understand, do you have free entry to give away? If so I might be interested.

if it was a free entry i'd be racing ;) it's just a registration, for a race that's on a waiting list already... anyway, someone else has dibs at the moment.

Edited by bobbejaan

if it was a free entry i'd be racing ;) it's just a registration, for a race that's on a waiting list already... anyway, someone else has dibs at the moment.

sure no worries

This will be my fourth 36one

First year Freezing.

Second year Awesome

Third year heat wave

So it is very difficult to predict what to expect. This year I am riding as a mixed team and we aiming for 24hours. I have 2 DNF and then a 20hour finish.

A friend of mine finished in 19 hours last year and his furtherest ride was 80km BUT he rode 5 x a week and averaged 250km a week. My furtherest training ride was 120km but I did less rides per week and only averaged 200km a week. I found it was not the distance but the lack of sleep that hurt me most - I had been awake since 6am Friday morning !!!! - this year I'm arriving early Friday and making sure I have an afternoon sleep. Good luck all

I did a 160km solo ride past Saturday out on dirt. Heat was an aggravating factor. 38deg at times...Slowed me right down.... looking for shade in the middle of the day in the middle of nowhere with not much to offer. (Me and heat don't go well) 7.5hrs riding and 1.5hrs seeking refuge in a shadow.... :unsure:

Night riding and let there be cool temp....should run at optimum on the course....6.5 weeks to go!!....jinnne! :eek:

Edited by TrailWarrior

its a easy ride just enjoy  :thumbup:  last year i've done 300km per week training with only two rides being 150km each over two consecutive Sundays. It was my first 36one race and very happy with my time.

I did a 160km solo ride past Saturday out on dirt. Heat was an aggravating factor. 38deg at times...Slowed me right down.... looking for shade in the middle of the day in the middle of nowhere with not much to offer. (Me and heat don't go well) 7.5hrs riding and 1.5hrs seeking refuge in a shadow.... :unsure:

Night riding and let there be cool temp....should run at optimum on the course....6.5 weeks to go!!....jinnne! :eek:

I also struggle with/in heat, 

after our long ride on saturday (150km temp 30-34 deg) I decided that i'm carrying an extra water bottle purely for cooling purposes.

Anyone up for a training ride through and around the Overberg over the next couple of weekends?

I am getting a bit concerned that I have not done enough. Did a 7hr32 attakwas, and basically been doing between 8-10hrs a week since then. Longest ride since attakwas has been 7hrs.

Maybe I need to try fit in a few 15hr weeks??

I am getting a bit concerned that I have not done enough. Did a 7hr32 attakwas, and basically been doing between 8-10hrs a week since then. Longest ride since attakwas has been 7hrs.

Maybe I need to try fit in a few 15hr weeks??

In the same boat, doing 7-8hrs a week. Longest ride was 150km at 6hrs on the road bike. 

Need to maybe do 1000 push ups or something!

Guys the hardest and most strenous  training that we must do is to train the muscle between our ears (brain).The 36ONE is much tougher mentally than physically.

By that I'm not implying that it is not physically tough but 02h00 in the morning you have to talk to yourself and when you tackle Rooiberg with 290km in your legs you have to be mentally tough to go through it.

Listening to the training that you have put in I believe you guys would be fine......if you ride clever and conservatively,eat and drink enough,do not just use sweet stuff but make sure you have something salty to eat as well not get caught up in the hype of the start and start chasing we will meet one another on Sunday morning at the prize giving with a Cape Brewing Company bottle in our hands.

Now relax and enjoy.

Oh my goodness I have to go an train now gotta stop talking :lol: