The 36One MTB Challenge

TrailWarrior

LOL! Weather is fine for me.. the night temp is even warmer than our day temp at the moment  :w00t:  :w00t:  :w00t:  :clap:

Fantastic victory my friend. You are a legend. Well done.

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow! What a ride! In hindsight I can honestly say that I enjoyed it thoroughly. I was in dark places in my head at 6am and promised myself not to do such stupid things ever in my life again. Not sleeping and riding alone for so long makes you really question your sanity. Since all of us anonymously decided at the impromptu 6:30 roadside meeting that sanity isn't required we felt much better about myself.

The slog to the end was achieved by those brilliant water points. The organizers can really feel proud with the event that they have dished up this weekend!

And a special ovation to the support staff - the food tables, friendly faces, holding bikes or just standing with chain lube in hand lying about how good the riders still look. Thank you.

DNF for me. Not enough training will surely bring you the fire of uncontrollable cramps & somehow I knew that. 20 years of riding/racing, 4th DNF achieved in all. The milk was spilt but I will not cry.

BUT....definitely back next year to finish what was started!! Big respect for those that went, saw & conquered! Amazing feat! And how were those waterpoints!!! Fantastic people!! Well done to all!

Me in a nutshell ;)

WOW that was tough The 36ONE MTB Challenge almost 2days without sleep as you start cycling at night and we were going constantly for 30hours, big climbs and the good thing about cycling at night is you cant see the climbs... the bad thing is... well you cant see the climbs. Cycling during night time twice makes it extremely difficult, bone rattling shivers at night in very cold conditions through the valleys, then almost and I mean fighting so so hard to keep your eyes open as they just start to close by themselves and falling asleep for a split second and realising your all over the road when you get a straight or downhill and you pray for a uphill to just make it a bit easier to concentrate. Hypothermia also started to come to mind with the symptoms such as heart feeling like beating in your through, heavy sweating in icy cold temperatures, low energy and slow reactions. Light batteries started giving in and you cycle to give light to your friend but in the same time trying to concentrate where you cycle and making sure the person next to you can see where he is going.

Lots of people are met on route and its almost as if you become best friends for a little while, starting to know everything about each other and then somewhere along the route you loose each other and hope that they make it. This is not a event to win, its called a Challenge for the simple reason to stick to your guns, get into the right mindset and push through 361kms and try and finish within 36hrs. I have never seen so many people not finishing an event, at each Water Point you come across there is loads of bikes standing around, grown men crying, others hugging each other and sharing some tears, vehicles traveling on route with lots of bikes on, people sitting and lying in the bushes that just cant go anymore that is either in pain or sick as a dog and then getting to water points and to hear about people that you met and overtook that pulled out and getting less and less behind you, its heartsore especially those that only have around 60kms still to go. I took this one easy after my failed attempt last year to only complete half after my knee gave trouble and told myself to finish even if it meant walking to the finish line (this year I dont have the Sani2C coming up, this time its balls to the walls) this time it was all about pacing and mindset. We kept a steady pace and had each others company the whole time for motivation and protection (Shaun Harris jou yster)

Legs felt great right through, my endurance kicked in after 200kms and it felt like I could just go on forever when I finally got into the zone, I was climbing like a monster and were going really good even went a little down Rooiberg again to give some good news to my friend and a another guy (Wayne Denysschen, a self-employed guy from Jeffreys Bay) we made along the route that the climb is finishing at the board on the top of the hill, first responded by a "why did you cycle down again" followed by a "YEAH, WOHOO!". Rooiberg Pass was the grand daddy, a massive, never ending, hidden curves around every corner that just kept coming up in the heat, a climb that started after cycling for 255km's where hills felt like mountains. Water points were well stocked, welcome by cheers and friendly faces and the 32Gi surely helped all the way to keep us hydrated. Then I MUST say thank you so much for Suskia Radermacher-Harris, that met us at each Checkpoint, took our bottles each time to fill it up, getting us nutrition, changing lights, taking bikes, gave us some warm soup, helped us with placing our numbers, gave us a words of "Good luck" and "you guys are doing great" and bought some more supporters with her. To my wife that come through so many times to Oudtshoorn and Rudolph Malan it meant so so so much to know that I'll see you soon. My cycling buddy that also did the Solo and so so nearly gave up at the 80km mark after feeling sick... I am so proud of you, thanks for hanging in there the whole time... The mind is a powerful thing and will play nasty tricks with you in this Challenge, I do have some good news now after your question after 300km's... "Die klimme is klaar " also thank you to all the phone calls and messages of good luck I kept them close by heart right through and the motivational letter I found in my box at the 1st Checkpoint from my wife, it almost brought me to tears.

This morning Im a broken man, joyful tears in my eyes as Im chatting to my friend that did this Challenge with me and celebrating with a glass or two of Champagne, from my hips down its sore, knees are aching, quads and calves muscles are paining, my bum... well we can leave it there, thanks to the full suspension bike my back is fine (not sore at all). The bike handled it with ease, no mechanicals what so ever ‪#‎IamSpecialized‬ a odd blister on my one hand, sore toes and still very tired, husky voice, just need a overdose of some Vitamins this morning.

250 riders started in the Solo category, almost 100 of them did not complete. When guys that did the Ironman says its the most difficult thing they have ever done, then you must know, maybe I am a bit crazy! Will I do it again? I don't think so, even though I did it at a easy pace and had the legs it was extremely long and tough, but damn... It was one extreme ride and certainly one hell of a journey. I do want to try my next adventure though if I can find the right partner and enough leave days... The Freedom Challenge Race Across South Africa

Me in a nutshell ;)

WOW that was tough The 36ONE MTB Challenge almost 2days without sleep as you start cycling at night and we were going constantly for 30hours, big climbs and the good thing about cycling at night is you cant see the climbs... the bad thing is... well you cant see the climbs. Cycling during night time twice makes it extremely difficult, bone rattling shivers at night in very cold conditions through the valleys, then almost and I mean fighting so so hard to keep your eyes open as they just start to close by themselves and falling asleep for a split second and realising your all over the road when you get a straight or downhill and you pray for a uphill to just make it a bit easier to concentrate. Hypothermia also started to come to mind with the symptoms such as heart feeling like beating in your through, heavy sweating in icy cold temperatures, low energy and slow reactions. Light batteries started giving in and you cycle to give light to your friend but in the same time trying to concentrate where you cycle and making sure the person next to you can see where he is going.

Lots of people are met on route and its almost as if you become best friends for a little while, starting to know everything about each other and then somewhere along the route you loose each other and hope that they make it. This is not a event to win, its called a Challenge for the simple reason to stick to your guns, get into the right mindset and push through 361kms and try and finish within 36hrs. I have never seen so many people not finishing an event, at each Water Point you come across there is loads of bikes standing around, grown men crying, others hugging each other and sharing some tears, vehicles traveling on route with lots of bikes on, people sitting and lying in the bushes that just cant go anymore that is either in pain or sick as a dog and then getting to water points and to hear about people that you met and overtook that pulled out and getting less and less behind you, its heartsore especially those that only have around 60kms still to go. I took this one easy after my failed attempt last year to only complete half after my knee gave trouble and told myself to finish even if it meant walking to the finish line (this year I dont have the Sani2C coming up, this time its balls to the walls) this time it was all about pacing and mindset. We kept a steady pace and had each others company the whole time for motivation and protection (Shaun Harris jou yster)

Legs felt great right through, my endurance kicked in after 200kms and it felt like I could just go on forever when I finally got into the zone, I was climbing like a monster and were going really good even went a little down Rooiberg again to give some good news to my friend and a another guy (Wayne Denysschen, a self-employed guy from Jeffreys Bay) we made along the route that the climb is finishing at the board on the top of the hill, first responded by a "why did you cycle down again" followed by a "YEAH, WOHOO!". Rooiberg Pass was the grand daddy, a massive, never ending, hidden curves around every corner that just kept coming up in the heat, a climb that started after cycling for 255km's where hills felt like mountains. Water points were well stocked, welcome by cheers and friendly faces and the 32Gi surely helped all the way to keep us hydrated. Then I MUST say thank you so much for Suskia Radermacher-Harris, that met us at each Checkpoint, took our bottles each time to fill it up, getting us nutrition, changing lights, taking bikes, gave us some warm soup, helped us with placing our numbers, gave us a words of "Good luck" and "you guys are doing great" and bought some more supporters with her. To my wife that come through so many times to Oudtshoorn and Rudolph Malan it meant so so so much to know that I'll see you soon. My cycling buddy that also did the Solo and so so nearly gave up at the 80km mark after feeling sick... I am so proud of you, thanks for hanging in there the whole time... The mind is a powerful thing and will play nasty tricks with you in this Challenge, I do have some good news now after your question after 300km's... "Die klimme is klaar " also thank you to all the phone calls and messages of good luck I kept them close by heart right through and the motivational letter I found in my box at the 1st Checkpoint from my wife, it almost brought me to tears.

This morning Im a broken man, joyful tears in my eyes as Im chatting to my friend that did this Challenge with me and celebrating with a glass or two of Champagne, from my hips down its sore, knees are aching, quads and calves muscles are paining, my bum... well we can leave it there, thanks to the full suspension bike my back is fine (not sore at all). The bike handled it with ease, no mechanicals what so ever ‪#‎IamSpecialized‬ a odd blister on my one hand, sore toes and still very tired, husky voice, just need a overdose of some Vitamins this morning.

250 riders started in the Solo category, almost 100 of them did not complete. When guys that did the Ironman says its the most difficult thing they have ever done, then you must know, maybe I am a bit crazy! Will I do it again? I don't think so, even though I did it at a easy pace and had the legs it was extremely long and tough, but damn... It was one extreme ride and certainly one hell of a journey. I do want to try my next adventure though if I can find the right partner and enough leave days... The Freedom Challenge Race Across South Africa

Well done Dom. After my first finish last year I also promised never again. But here's what I can tell you for sure, I will see you next year. This race is like a drug. You simply can't resist the challenge and the out of this world hospitality from the folks at the waterpoints and the Dryland team.

An event like no other, and despite the physical toughness of it all, a complete and utter mind game. Everything about this ride challenges the mind, from the absolute darkness, to the sheer scale of the distance covered.

I think The 36One has already achieved mythical status on our local calendar, and will probably be around for a long long time.The enthusiasm from the organisers, the sponsors, the volunteers, and lastly, and the riders (even those doing the half - 180kms is still massive) make this event a bucket list event. Whether I'll do it again is debatable, but I'll certainly recommend it to any one looking for that next big thing...

To those that finished, well done. And to those that didn't, well done - just rocking up on the start line takes a special amount of courage, and there is always next year. Sometimes, knowing when to pull out is the hardest decision of all.

Back home and tomorrow back to being part of the working class!! What an experience!! I'm bursting with pride that I was able to finish my first attempt of the 36One Challenge Solo!! Tears of joy for sure!! It has been by far the toughest, physically and mentally and emotional thing I have ever done in my life... "Take your passion and make it happen". Feel like wearing my medal, my shirt and my cap to work tomorrow and for the rest of the month, while I'm on this high!!

DNF for me with 100k to go.

Cut my Sidewall going down Rooiberg. Couldn't fix it properly as the tube I put it kept popping out. Decided to take it as a sign call it a day.

Saying I'm disappointed is an understatement.

Well done to the everyone that attempted this ride

DNF for me with 100k to go.

Cut my Sidewall going down Rooiberg. Couldn't fix it properly as the tube I put it kept popping out. Decided to take it as a sign call it a day.

Saying I'm disappointed is an understatement.

Well done to the everyone that attempted this ride

Tough break pal, give it another crack next year.

my head and body seperated after Rooiberg - the last 80km was tougher then the first 280 kmtogether. Those few climbs in the valley after rooiberg was really tough as well . The weather I think was great and not to hot ( which could have made it much harder) . Also the night riding was really nice I enjoyed that allot . I can only imagine if it was raining how tough that would have been. I developed new respect for myself :)

So how do you write a race report for a 36 hour event? it's in my case, not necessarily a race and its too long to remember much of detail.

We get to Oudtshoorn on the Thursdays midday and spend some time building our bikes, test riding and getting to know the lay of the land. Early dinner, some nerves and Friday is upon us all too quickly. The weather is playing with us all day, cool with intermittent showers, throws our cycle kit strategy into a tailspin. Worry that we were in a for a wet weather ride, prompts a stop at the bike shop. This results in 2 bombs and 1 water bottle which in hindsight wasn’t going to help much in the wet.

Rider registration at 12h00, again in the rain and then back to the b&b to try and crack a couple of hours sleep before the event. Surprisingly even with pre-race nerves we both crack a couple of hours sleep and this proves to be a solid strategy as neither of us are particularly sleepy tired during the race. 

Race kicks off at 6PM and we ride off into the night, very quickly onto lights and a very dark, new moon and overcast night. Its a blur from here pretty much, cold temperatures, steep climbs, muddy descents, and your little puddle of light to guide you, whilst all the time this enormous expanse of black sky surrounding you. Good conversation and connections with other riders from other times as you pass and then get passed by riders only to pass them again as you seesaw through the black. 

The 90k water point arrived - checkpoint one, time to let our wives and friends know that we are alive and well and making progress. Gareth battles to find his race box and to his credit keeps his calm and eventually tracks it down. I strip off all my sopping wet kit (from sweat) and put on a warm outer shell in an effort to dry off, this works, but my feet, hands, bib and buff are still sopping, which makes for a chilly start out of checkpoint one - there was also warm soup - we both have a couple of cups :) 

Battery conservation strategy, combined with Gareth’s music sees the miles tick by and pretty soon we have both passed the furthest distance that we have done on a MTB. (167km)  A tyre puncture and our only mechanical on G’s bike and a very clumsy attempt by both of us to fix it it in the dark, until another rider arrives to shine some light on the problem directly, these are clear indicators that the brain is getting fatigued and not thinking so clearly.

I don’t really remember this phase of the ride - it all takes place between midnight and 5AM and its a serious progression of climbing descending in pitch black until the stars come out at around 1h30, Gareth freaks some riders out, by switching his lights off and riding behind them - in the eery middle of the karoo, this is quite funny. But I guess you have to be there. Time passes and the legs are starting to get sore, thoughts of the long road ahead begin to haunt me and a little doubt creeps into my mind. Gareth tells me his legs are tired as well, this is re-assuring, good so its not just me, he is stronger than me though on the day, this will both hurt me and help us towards the end of the ride

Pretty soon we were heading for the half way point at 5AM - 11 hours of consistent riding under the belt. 

I am tired now, cold and worried that my much needed change of clothes won’t  keep me warm enough, Hungry too. we change on the lawn, oblivious to spectators, it’s dark anyway and if anyone really want to watch a pair of sweaty middle aged males changing, well then thats their stuff : More chamois cream (you begin to love chamois cream at this point) - lasagne, refills and another check in with the wives and we are ready to ride

In the words of Steve Forbert - "daybreak sorta seems to take forever” 2 hours of riding and its still dark. the moods good though, clothes are dryer, its not terribly cold and the knowledge that we are over half way and ticking towards to finish lifts our spirits. We have also made better time than anticipated, but on reflection have gone out too hard. The landscape starts to emerge from the dark, and the sun rises up behind us. It's not the 1st time we have ridden through a sunrise, we do it plenty in training, but for me this one is quite special, its very pretty in the desert sense of the word and the oppression of night is gone. 

Another is a succession of water stops (this one has tents) comes and goes and we see some of the same faces. its getting warmer, but thankfully not hot, legs, body and mind are tired, and things that done normally hurt and making themselves known, we are not talking much at this point, Gareth rides a hundred or so meters ahead and I keep him in my sights, catching and and drifting back as we progress. We are both now in the pain cave. 240Km in and we meet Rooiberg pass - 6,5km of climbing over 850m of ascent, its may as well be a wall. Its takes Gareth an hour and I am about 9 mins behind him. Its mind numbing, with lots of false summits, loose gravel and spectacular views. I have been running the music for a couple of hours now, but I turn it off as its making me emotional, my reactions and thought processes are not sharp. I stop 3 times and walk once for about 3 minutes to ward off cramps in my quads. the pain starts to bury you in a place you haven’t been before.

Now you might think that going down the other side would be a relief, well…. not so, after a somewhat emotional summit, and now deep respect for Rooiberg, G and I start the descent. its hard, loose shale, heavy on your hands and neck and everywhere. We slowly make our way to Calitzsdorp water point. 280Km is nearly down and i can honestly say that I haven’t every been quite so deeply in, whatever it is that I am now in. Gareth is in the same boat, but is having a slightly better day, he is patient with me, no pressure to ride faster or take any turns at the front. We are both now committed to getting the end no matter how long it takes. My reasonable brain has left me with a philosophical version of myself. We talk about why you would pull out of a race like this. About respecting the challenge and deciding that you won’t quit before you even start the race, so that when you face the decision (as you do) its already made and you go on to make another decision instead. We talk objectively about the pain cave and I become an observer to myself and my state, describing it rather than moaning about it. We stop talking almost as abruptly as we started as we hit Calitzsdorp. 80KM to go. At least 6 hours or more of riding. We talk to Franz’s wife who is waiting for him at the water point, we met him training, he is riding solo and has been tracking us within an hour so. We eat, but the food is running out or between being replenished and I forget to fill up my water. I get lost in conversations with two riders who we met the day before who bailed before the 180Km point, they are waiting for their friend who is a roadie and has never ridden a MTB before - he is still going (and incidentally finished in 29 hours— much respect) Gareth has to get me going as I am not mentally focussed and don’t hear him calling me. Once one the road he tell me of his experiences climbing mountains and that  the altitude creates similar confusion, which in that case is deadly.. Not so luckily on a bike, dangerous, perhaps potentially deadly but not necessarily. 

Part 2 to follow

Archived