The 36One MTB Challenge

TrailWarrior

juts find some characters that can take the boredom away when you ride - it will be much more bearable when you have a partner to ride with at least some rides. Find some decent recovery supplement ( there are plenty on the market ) and you will see as you get more fit recovery will be much quicker as well. Small steps and before you know it you will be in great shape

Thanks Heel Drop, really appreciate it.

I will have to wait another four to six years before my twelve year old son will be old enough to join me.. Here in Carletonville everyone is interested in everything else but just not mtb-ing.

What products do you suggest?

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Heel Drop, really appreciate it.

I will have to wait another four to six years before my twelve year old son will be old enough to join me.. Here in Carletonville everyone is interested in everything else but just not mtb-ing.

What products do you suggest?

32GI is always good en Hammer products  also - its more a test and see what works for you thing.USN also have some recovery supplements

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cant wait. Going to be my First 36one. So I guess I have to do lots and lots of riding.

Best one day endurance MTB on the calendar by some way... organisation, best water points in SA, etc... - looking forward to the 2016 challenge... eish, and that's coming from a roadie!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I see the registrations are open only to previous entrants at the moment.. And for the others, like myself, it will only open on 7 Sept.. 

I just hope I will be ready.

I actually started traing a few months ago, but busted my knee at work; can only get on the bicycle again end of this month..

Any advice?

This is a strange event. I fear it for months beforehand, and hate every second of the first half, thinking that I'll never make it. And then from the last checkpoint a small glimmer of hope starts to manifest, that maybe, just maybe, I'll get to the end. The closer I get to the finish, the stronger my white line fever gets (much to the annoyance of my partner). And then it's over. There is no elation, just relief that my bum and my saddle can have a small time out from each other. For the next month I vow to never do this event ever again, but the pain fades, and the experience somehow sucks me back to where I am now - having just entered again. And now I can feel the fear already!

Best one day endurance MTB on the calendar by some way... organisation, best water points in SA, etc... - looking forward to the 2016 challenge... eish, and that's coming from a roadie!!!

This is as close to road riding as you'll get on a MTB. There are even some lovely bits of tar to sooth the soul in the wee hours of the night. Agree 100% - this is the benchmark that other events need to aspire towards. Already we're seeing an improvement in some of the other endurance events.

My option: more mental than physical. Done 3. All solo. 2nd,top 20(mechanical), 5th

The first 3 hours are physical, until you find happy place, and then it's just plodding relentlessly onwards. The only person you're really racing is yourself (or, if you're in a team, your partner;) )

I see the registrations are open only to previous entrants at the moment.. And for the others, like myself, it will only open on 7 Sept.. 

I just hope I will be ready.

I actually started traing a few months ago, but busted my knee at work; can only get on the bicycle again end of this month..

Any advice?

Still very early, so build up slowly to being able to do a few back to back 6hr rides. LSD for now. Closer to the time you can aim for some speed and strength, but make sure you have a solid base.