The 36One MTB Challenge

TrailWarrior

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For me the toughest part is the 40Km after check point 3. The two sets of hills with the water point in the middle. The first set was a killer 6km of hills and another after the water point made it tough. 

But I will be back next year. Rooiberg wasn't as bad as I thought

Hi, did you manage to go under 20 hours? That would have been an awesome ride.

For me the toughest part is the 40Km after check point 3. The two sets of hills with the water point in the middle. The first set was a killer 6km of hills and another after the water point made it tough.

I felt the same way - was even telling myself that if I go at 7 k's an hour for the last 40 I would finish well before cut-off. The legs just didn't have another mountain them.

Best sound was hearing the generators in the middle of nowhere and the people at all the water holes were truly amazing. Will probably go back for one more....

Well I did it!! this is a brute of a race! very well organised, and the water points were great.

the thing I was most worried about was getting sleepy, but this did not happen .... have to agree the last 60km's were not fun.... hill after hill in the high 30's made it tougher. but I accomplished my goal... and even got a podium!

definitely :eek: bucket list stuff... will I do it again... no!

Well done to everyone that started, let alone finished. And to those that finished - what a fantastic effort!

To the 100 or so riders that finished during the second spell of darkness - you men and women are the real heroes.

So how many people are entering at 12pm today for 2017?

Well done to everyone that started, let alone finished. And to those that finished - what a fantastic effort!

To the 100 or so riders that finished during the second spell of darkness - you men and women are the real heroes.

What a fantastic ride and well organised. I am in for 2017.

That was a goosebump moment coming in just before 10, not expecting much more than the wife and a timekeeper, and suddenly there is this loud cheering and clapping from amongst the trees and the tent - it was great!

Yes, I did carry too much food and spares and spent too much time at checkpoints, but overall it's worth the effort. Only regret is that I did not take many photo's along the way.

Have my confirmation for next year's entry.

Cheers

Yeah guys, this is one awesome race, my 2nd one in the bag and yip I will be back.

Last year I said never again, the following week I bought my entry again...

This year however my approach was totally different, I decided to help a friend of mine who's wish it was to finish the 36One, I made it my duty to assist and motivate her all the way through this monster of a ride and try and get her in within 36hours, here it is in a nutshell:

It's not always to see how hard you can push your body... if you have a passion for it, patience and are strong enough, why not use it and help someone else achieve their personal goals, assist with guidance, share what you have learned, be the mentor... the reward is so much better seeing the tears of happiness in their eyes and I'm sure it will last a longer time. 

When a friend said she wants to do The 36ONE MTB Challenge and asked me if I will do it with her I couldn't resist, it would make me very happy if I could help someone to achieve their goal rather than for me just to race it. It's a monumental distance to do and I would make it my duty to assist in making sure that she gets over the finish line by motivating, pushing or by whatever means, doesn't matter what time it would be but finish we would finish within that 36hours. Afterwards she had one more goal... to beat her husbands time (with who I did it the previous year)

At times when she just wanted to walk a bit on the big uphills, I went down again to go fetch her bike, just to make it a little bit easier or I jumped in and helped some others up Rooiberg Pass, getting some weird looks and words of "ahhh what are you doing" when I go past them going down again to accompany others thats struggling or telling them "get on the bike Im going to push you" Nothing is quite as satisfying as seeing the smiles on their faces or their friends telling you "thank you for helping"

Im proud to say that she didn't just finished it (through all the sweat and tears) but she beat her husbands time by just over an hour. With the extreme distance and amount of climbing this race has to offer one can quickly see why its probably the easiest race to drop out of and quite and explains why there is so many people that don't finish it.

Thank you Dryland Event Management yet again for another awesome Extreme Endurance Challenge, really for volunteers and crew to be up for so long waiting at waterpoints for everyone still with a smile is awesome. Thank you to my wife and friends of ours for the great support and to the rest of the crew that came through to checkpoints to come and support. Going over the finish line was awesome with the MC making us feel like a million dollars in the way he congratulated us. I love ‪#‎TheUltimateRace‬, 361km's in one go with almost 6000m of climbing this is extreme endurance.

Edited by Dominik

I will def be back for no 2. I have to break 20h. Just had a sh@t start this year. Within the first 5km, I accidentally dropped my waterbottle. And didn't stop and picked it up. So I was a bit dehydrated when I got to WP 1. But felt better after an hour or two.

At the moment I'm between two biggies - Joburg2c and the 360ne..

Please hubbers, which one do you suggest I do next year?

36One you know you want to

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk