The 36One MTB Challenge

TrailWarrior

Im a bit Sh@t Scared doing a Long Training Night-Ride All by my Lonesome self. Never done it before. But I Guess I have to do it......Cant just train in the day time, seeing as we are starting @ 18:00 at night..

The 1st part of the race rather congested with a lot of riders around you,if you want to train for the lonely part then you should start your training at around 01h00 in the morning :whistling:  :w00t: ......."Banggat"......Just Joking!!!! not that bad during the night always somebody in the close vicinity.

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 1st part of the race rather congested with a lot of riders around you,if you want to train for the lonely part then you should start your training at around 01h00 in the morning :whistling:  :w00t: ......."Banggat"......Just Joking!!!! not that bad during the night always somebody in the close vicinity.

Its that somebody in the close vicinity that also scares me lol. Those Mozambiquens would love to have a Trek Superfly :whistling:

Which is why I ride in a 2 man team. Rather nice have company in the wee hours...

Its a 60/40 split to the no I would think. there is no technical stuff but the decent of Rooiberg is going to test you kit.

Is it possible to do this ride/race on a Cyclocross i.e. is the terrain conducive?

Last year there was a few sections that would have been testing on a cyclocross bike.

Wet slippery mud in various places. (rain before event)

Bit of single track or offroad with a rocky/gravel section next to railway line.

Fast downhill sections on gravel roads in the dark with road surface not always the best.

Rooiberg descent as mentioned

Also - In my mind the little extra cushioning from the bigger tires would be crucial after 300km. Skiny(ish) tyres and no suspension...

Probably possible - I would prefer not too.

Edited by Bonk-king

Last year there was a few sections that would have been testing on a cyclocross bike.

Wet slippery mud in various places. (rain before event)

Bit of single track or offroad with a rocky/gravel section next to railway line.

Fast downhill sections on gravel roads in the dark with road surface not always the best.

Rooiberg descent as mentioned

Also - In my mind the little extra cushioning from the bigger tires would be crucial after 300km. Skiny(ish) tyres and no suspension...

Probably possible - I would prefer not too.

awesome stuff, thanks

Go and have a look at Strava. If you are on Premium, then you can just Download the GPX/TCX File and just Upload it onto your Garmin....

Thanks for the info Lexx.

I'm not really on Strava (have an account but rarely use it - so not on Premium),

so was hoping someone with a Garmin file would have had......someone out there?? :thumbup: .....

What sort of temperatures will we be contending with through the night?

My experience last year... it can get quite nippy, to downright freezing-arm/legwarmers/buffs/baselayers- you will need all of them. Depends at what time you are aiming for, best to get rid of all the thermal wear at the halfway mark, as temperatures climb significantly during the day.

Something about this race has me amped to do it.

What kind of training is required for it?

I can currently do a 60 to 75km ride on my MTB with no problems, and 100km on the road bike.

Excuse the n00b questions, but I am keen and would like some advice on how to properly prepare. This just looks too awesome to miss, and I am always up for a challenge.