Front Brakes (MTB)

Mar

Hi all

I hardly ever(more never) use my front brakes, but I know I should be.

Is it possible to explain in simple terms when to use front brakes?

And, does it matter which brake lever is on which side? My back brake lever is on the right, bought the bike like that.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My head say to me that you can brake later if you brake with your front brake, because of your body weight, I might be wrong on this one, but that is what my head say to me.

The other thing is your brakes should be comfortable for you, so you can put them arround just as you want as long as you know where your brakes are. Most brakes are Right Rear and Left Front.

My head say to me that you can brake later if you brake with your front brake, because of your body weight, I might be wrong on this one, but that is what my head say to me.

My head usually tells me "Don't touch those front brakes!"

I prefer having my back brake on my stronger side.

Use your front brake when you have to slow down quickly, but it is always used to "supplement" the rear brake, it's very rarely used on its own. When your rear wheel goes into a slide it doesn't help with slowing down anymore, so it's always good to use your brakes in a 80/20 or 70/30 ratio where the bigger amount is rear brake. Front brakes in a corner is not always a good idea

Don't fear the front brake!

I use my front and rear brakes equally. 

As an example: If you're riding tight, twisty singletrack and you have to rapidly slow down for a sharp turn or switchback, slamming the rear brake will cause your rear wheel to skid and you will lose the balance/speed you had. 

Using the front and rear brakes will allow you to slow down, but still maintain your balance and you will likely also have a higher exit speed also. 

I use both brakes, never really giving much thought as to which I am using. It is more a natural reaction for me depending on what the terrain and my speed is. As hubbers have mentioned above, the right is usually the rear brake, makes sense if this is your stronger side as you would typically use the rear brake more than the front brake.

Thanks all...

So basically use with back brakes and in straight lines.

all brakes should be used in straight lines, dont brake in corners

I know I have my front brake on the right, and that I use it more often, but, to be honest, I can't even tell you what I do when it comes to cornering or braking. It just sorta happens - or doesn't...

80% of your stopping power comes from the front brake - learn to use it...

I prefer to have my front brake on my non dominant hand - just in case, because if you get a fright/suprise that causes an involuntary clench of the fingers.... more on the dominant side than the non dominant - and that's not good on the front brake side....

Umm,

Beg to differ a bit.

Dont get confused between power in braking (where the front brake has by far the most - about 70 to 80% of the power owing to weight transfer etc.) and usage - where the back brake often gets used a lot more. So you may use your backs a lot more than the front, (which is also really what a lot of less skilled riders do ) but your braking power is in front. 

Raw braking power = front brake. Brake hard in straight lines before a corner. Stop braking when turning - unless you are experienced.

Back is more for steering and directional control than front, sliding, squaring a corner etc.. Slows you down a lot less than the front, but owing to the drag, turns the bike. 

Try it on a straight tar road to prove it to yourself.

Learn to use your front brake - its where most of your slowing down happens. Its also the one that if you get it wrong you get a big fall as you will lose control of the front of the bike which is normally very difficult to recover. Lose the back you can recover easily.

Most noobs will have an incident when they brake hard and wash the front out or go OTB and the result is  that they don't ever use it properly again.

Do a skills course where they teach you this stuff for do some googling and videos of how to control it.

Also get some good brakes and ensure they have lost of modulation - control, so you can feel when they are biting. This gives a lot more confidence. Ramp up the bite when you are more confident, but at the start have it pretty mushy if you have had a bad experience.

I use both brakes, but probably a bit harder on the front.  The only time that I back off on the front brake is on a steep downhill when the risk of going over the bars is high.  Also in corners - that's a no no.  Using both brakes keeps the bike nicely balanced 

Also, front brake should ALWAYS be on the right - like a motorbike.  I feel very very strongly on this!  I rode my cousins bike a few months ago and his brakes were the wrong way around.  Long story short, I face planted breaking one of my front teeth out, chipping another, fracturing my skull where the teeth go in, breaking a finger and getting killer roasties on my face and knuckles.  All because the brakes were the wrong way around!
i have a deep hatred for the front brake being on the left!  :whistling:  

I prefer having my back brake on my stronger side.

Use your front brake when you have to slow down quickly, but it is always used to "supplement" the rear brake, it's very rarely used on its own. When your rear wheel goes into a slide it doesn't help with slowing down anymore, so it's always good to use your brakes in a 80/20 or 70/30 ratio where the bigger amount is rear brake. Front brakes in a corner is not always a good idea

It should be 70% front/ 30% rear, break BEFORE the corners, not in them if you can.

Also, front brake should ALWAYS be on the right - like a motorbike. 

That is not the "normal" way round on a bicycle - normally the left hand lever is on the front brake - 90+% of manufacturers fit them that way round - same way they fit the rear shifters on the right - that's the default - probably because mose people are right hand dominant, and they shift more often using the rear DR than the front.

I am not saying you are wrong - just that that's not the normal way round - I also ride a motorbike with brakes the other way round (reversed compared to my bicyles) - but somehow don't seem to confuse the 2 setups.

Umm,

Beg to differ a bit.

Dont get confused between power in braking (where the front brake has by far the most - about 70 to 80% of the power owing to weight transfer etc.) and usage - where the back brake often gets used a lot more. So you may use your backs a lot more than the front, (which is also really what a lot of less skilled riders do ) but your braking power is in front. 

Raw braking power = front brake. Brake hard in straight lines before a corner. Stop braking when turning - unless you are experienced.

Back is more for steering and directional control than front, sliding, squaring a corner etc.. Slows you down a lot less than the front, but owing to the drag, turns the bike. 

Try it on a straight tar road to prove it to yourself.

Learn to use your front brake - its where most of your slowing down happens. Its also the one that if you get it wrong you get a big fall as you will lose control of the front of the bike which is normally very difficult to recover. Lose the back you can recover easily.

Most noobs will have an incident when they brake hard and wash the front out or go OTB and the result is  that they don't ever use it properly again.

Do a skills course where they teach you this stuff for do some googling and videos of how to control it.

Also get some good brakes and ensure they have lost of modulation - control, so you can feel when they are biting. This gives a lot more confidence. Ramp up the bite when you are more confident, but at the start have it pretty mushy if you have had a bad experience.

THIS!!!

Archived