[Event] 2015 Ashburton Investments NATIONAL MTB SERIES #4 Van Gaalen

WesselvdWalt

Man, what a challenge that Ultra was! Was a long day in the saddle, but so worth it. Every bit the challenge you would expect from a SA Champs course. Did it in 6h40, which I am very pleased with.

Quick comment on passing people (or being passed) in single track. Thank you to all of the A batch Marathon guys who asked to pass when safe and thanked you when you moved over (literally every single oke who went past me from A batch, no exceptions). Then the ladies in the UCI category who I passed, who moved over when it was safe to do so and spurred me on as I came past, you girls rock! Wish the same can be said for the people in the last 5km's.

Anyway, it was an awesome day out. Glad I didn't have to queue for the floating bridge. And well done on all for finishing, it was proper tough out there!

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hehe, julle manne is taai. OK OK hide your pitch forks and settle down :clap:

Stupid comment and I do apologize.  What was your time man?

I did a 4:00:17

Started in C, won the batch (no time for loooosers, coz we are the chaaaaampions...!), rode through B and a lot of A (I'm kind of a big deal). Waited at the bridge for 4:55 for those losers on the expensive bikes on our trails.

What a lekker day it was!!!!

I woke up at the obscene time my alarm went off, knowing there was gonna be some *** I decided to roll over and spoon with the Mrs :thumbup:

She got a temp report from 2 of her mates doing it, I got chilly listening to that, snuggled in a bit closer.

Woke up again at 8am, had an awesome cup of coffee with biscuits and a fire heating the lounge.

Cruised to the shops at 12 and then to a braai in the afternoon, sucked back a good few beers.... day was great.

I didnt fall in any water

I didnt get cold

Great success of my Van Gaalens day

Weren't you at a water point...?

Man, what a challenge that Ultra was! Was a long day in the saddle, but so worth it. Every bit the challenge you would expect from a SA Champs course. Did it in 6h40, which I am very pleased with.

Quick comment on passing people (or being passed) in single track. Thank you to all of the A batch Marathon guys who asked to pass when safe and thanked you when you moved over (literally every single oke who went past me from A batch, no exceptions). Then the ladies in the UCI category who I passed, who moved over when it was safe to do so and spurred me on as I came past, you girls rock! Wish the same can be said for the people in the last 5km's.

Anyway, it was an awesome day out. Glad I didn't have to queue for the floating bridge. And well done on all for finishing, it was proper tough out there!

We must have been very close, did a 6:42, what kit and bike were you on?

What a super race! Pity I couldn't climb faster, was really shocked with the skill level of the A-batch riders. 

Why do marathon riders never do skills training??? 

easier that hill climbs and way more fun!

Thanks Eric, was a awesome route!

I did a 4:00:17

Started in C, won the batch (no time for loooosers, coz we are the chaaaaampions...!), rode through B and a lot of A (I'm kind of a big deal). Waited at the bridge for 4:55 for those losers on the expensive bikes on our trails.

Good time :thumbup:

When will you be allowed back to ride the Epic after your positive test?

Weren't you at a water point...?

Not a chance.

I battle to move before before 8

thats 8 degrees

I did the same route as chukky.

Worked in an extra loop of Mad Max before finishing off with the cold ones.

Good time :thumbup:

When will you be allowed back to ride the Epic after your positive test?

Never, but thank you for your concern.

When will you be taking part...?

Oh, wait, it's more than 60k, which puts you out...

Haha Wil6 - jy't nou 'n by nes gaan staan en oop skop, nou gaan jy gesteek word!!!

One must be careful to judge, and I'm just as guilty! I got my ass handed to me quite a few times by people you least expect it from just by looking at their kit/bikes.

If someone can afford the R60K bike and it makes them happy pootling about at the back of F-batch, good on them - at least they are trying. We don't know how long they have been saving/working/dreaming to ride that bike. 

I started in D (was late for the C-batch, and it was ½ a degree warmer) and tried not to go too hard because of a fat head-cold. That satelite down-hill had me swearing the whole way down and I was on and off the bike all the time, not always voluntarily! Nearly moered in the water but kept it upright on the bridge. Finished with an "official" time of 4:51.

Must say Van Gaalen never dissapoints!

Always a great day out there!

Looking at the profile before, you think, cool from about 50km, it's flatout to the finish along the awesome VG river route!... errr not! sheesh, being by myself into the wind on the district road was seriously hard work! having a clear run (well passed 1 guy) along the river made it worthwhile!

No idea what the delay was at the floating bridge, think i was only stopped for 3-4min thankfully.

Only had two points stuck behind slower riders, along dagga pad and down the satellite descent, they were riding everything and i wasn't going for a win, so just waited until there was a spot to overtake, no use taking stupid risks.

Slowly but surely worked my way up towards the front end of B batch (Started in B ), think i finished 6th/7th B batcher in 3:53.

As Nibali said, common curtsy goes a long way... thanking everyone as you pass/they move over, waiting until it's safe to move over and not forcing people to move when it's not safe.

Was a little worried starting with the new bike, going from a HT to a dual and only having done a 40odd km ride the week before on it, but it worked well and glad I was on a dual.

All in All, what a great day out!

What a lekker day it was!!!!

I woke up at the obscene time my alarm went off, knowing there was gonna be some *** I decided to roll over and spoon with the Mrs :thumbup:

She got a temp report from 2 of her mates doing it, I got chilly listening to that, snuggled in a bit closer.

Woke up again at 8am, had an awesome cup of coffee with biscuits and a fire heating the lounge.

Cruised to the shops at 12 and then to a braai in the afternoon, sucked back a good few beers.... day was great.

I didnt fall in any water

I didnt get cold

Great success of my Van Gaalens day

The differencr between knowledge and wisdom........wisdom gained by experiaaaans.

(pick your battles)

We must have been very close, did a 6:42, what kit and bike were you on?

Think we rode together most of the time, was in the Lynnwood Cycle Club kit on a Spez Epic. Were you on the Cannondale?

Posted this in Lost and Found as well.

I found a GoPro Hero 3 while taking part in the marathon race At Van Gaalen this past weekend (06\06\2015). I picked it up at the 35km mark. It contains some footage of a family doing a ride at The Big Red Barn. Here are some screenshots taken from the GoPro. Apologies for invading your privacy a bit but I thought taking some screenshots might help the owner get his GoPro back a bit easier.  

post-52018-0-53499500-1433752169_thumb.png

post-52018-0-80610200-1433752170_thumb.png

post-52018-0-15491000-1433752171_thumb.jpg

Archived