[Event] 2015 Ashburton Investments NATIONAL MTB SERIES #4 Van Gaalen

WesselvdWalt

So I had a tumble on the flouting bridge after standing in a queue behind some ladies competing for a top 20 in a national event, I think it's unfair for them having to wait in a queue behind guys not even competing for top honors ect. The guys she was behind where amateur altru rider and marathon riders.

Then... When I fell in the water there where no assistance from anyone to get me out, no marshal nothing just being told to hurry up I am keeping up the riders behind me.now trying to get out of that water (with rocks underneath which my head met) back onto the bridge with your bike is not easy. So **** everyone there for not helping and the zotters manning the bridge who just stood there laughing.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we need floating bridge riding training,   you okes keep falling off,  what is with that, forget to shower this morning?

we need floating bridge riding training,   you okes keep falling off,  what is with that, forget to shower this morning?

I cannot ride on a slime covered wooden ,moving ,sinking deck .For those who did not have the privilege to feel the surface while submerged in water and mud ,the surface was as slippery as Sepp Blatter,s future in soccer administration 

I cannot ride on a slime covered wooden ,moving ,sinking deck .For those who did not have the privilege to feel the surface while submerged in water and mud ,the surface was as slippery as Sepp Blatter,s future in soccer administration

I did the Ultra and got stuck at the floating bridge for over an hour with all the guys falling in.Walk,wait,walk,wait and so on.Eric from van Gaalens then told us to take the portage section because everything was taking so long.Then had to carry my bike over a kloof which took a lot out of me.Missed the ultra cut off and was sent on the marathon route.Told the organizers of DNF of the ultra at the end but at least I still rode the marathon route.I also think it's the technical downhill befor the bridge that slows the field down and causes a bottle neck.

Did the half Marathon and was surprised at how tough the trails are in terms of the trail conditions changing all the time (loose sand, rocks, marbles/gravel, steep rises and descends). I spent some time walking to get over the worst obstacles (and is that hard work!). The last 10km or so along the river was some good fun (but I was so stuffed I could not go faster to enjoy it more).

I had a bit of a stupid fall asking a youngster if he needed help with his flat tire at around 20km, could not get the cleat to release so I fell over. So since I stopped I quickly helped him (hope he finished the race).

Generally great event, but I think I need to sharpen up my technical ability to be faster.

From C batch about 28 minutes/10km into the ride on the first fast downhill, there was a lady who had a very bad fall, probably concussed. Some riders was already helping her to get out of the way of the other riders flying down the hill. Hope she's OK.

I had 2 falls. Both in the last 7 or 8km lol.

One I lost control of my front wheel and klapped the barbed wire fence. Nice hole in my left arm (added character along with the dirt :)).

Other one was on the one drop off. I went into it with some speed, only to find 2 guys had stopped half way down. Hit the brakes hard, and with the forward leaning I went straight over the handle bars. Landed on my feet so all was good.

Also got a puncture on the wire/wooden bridge. Sealant was pouring out the tyre. Quick dismount, spin the wheel, then finger over the hole for a few seconds sorted that out. Good to go again. So glad I converted to tubeless 2 weeks back.

Holy cr@p was I filthy when I got home. But loved every second of it.

While the Titan Comp may not be the best bike out there, it sure can take a beating. A solid one.

seeding results are out! (saseeding.co.za)

40 minute wait a t bridge did me no favors :cursing:

seeding results are out! (saseeding.co.za)

40 minute wait a t bridge did me no favors :cursing:

Just out of interest; what batch were you?

We stood 33 minute waiting at the bridge - started in batch D.

This was the most technical of the series so far. Waiting 40 min at bridge and thenbe told to do mountaineering . Moes eerder in die bed gebly het met die/^&&&€€€£ griep. Maar moes klaarmaak and

suffer.i did suffer. Magalies monster se moses

That mountain climbing was an adventure, you okes moan to much, we decided to take the mountain as everyone wanted to swim rather than ride the bridge,  I watched a few of you swimmers  the okes riding too slow bailed, MOMENTUM IS YOU FRIEND!  

THat is why we all need practice

and better tires   :clap:

Make it a proper 'Floating' bridge, that actually floats, and wrap it in chicken mesh for more grip. Ta daaaa...!

Just out of interest; what batch were you?

We stood 33 minute waiting at the bridge - started in batch D.

Also in D batch. Had a look and it seems like I waited 36 minutes. That took my finishing time from a respectable 4H30 to 5H06.

I know it affected everyone, but looking at the seeding distribution, everyone that were caught at the bridge for long, got a worse seeding, as we were too far off the winning time.

Looking at the times, seems that the A and B batches managed OK at the bridge, and then the bottleneck started.

If anyone from A,B or C can comment that would be great, would love to know where the bottleneck started in terms of batches and how long you waited.

The route was great, but I suffered on that technical downhill with my rigid. My choice to ride this with my Single Speed....not the best but it was fun and had a great day, except for the floating bridge cock up. Started in F batch for the marathon and waited 40min to get across.

If it was not for the single track the second part of the route after the floating bridge until the finish, I would have been a very pee off mtbiker

Edit : Stupid comment.  :whistling:  :ph34r:

The route was great, but I suffered on that technical downhill with my rigid. My choice to ride this with my Single Speed....not the best but it was fun and had a great day, except for the floating bridge cock up. Started in F batch for the marathon and waited 40min to get across.

If it was not for the single track the second part of the route after the floating bridge until the finish, I would have been a very pee off mtbiker

And for you dirt roadies, please sell your 60k+ mountain bikes and get the hell of our trails. You messing it up for everyone

Dirt roadies are SA Marathon champs this morning. Both ex roadies.

Archived