JSE Investing

Wayne Potgieter

Yep, allowance is R 1m once off per person before SARB get involved (counted as Discretionary travel allowance) Otherwise it's R 10m per year per person.

we need to conclude some business ....

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been playing as a 'day trader' using the Nedbank Online Trading site.

If you have the time and the energy it's fun. I dont use large amounts but kinda set myself goals like 'try and turn R5000 into R6000 within 2 weeks'

I've been playing as a 'day trader' using the Nedbank Online Trading site.

If you have the time and the energy it's fun. I dont use large amounts but kinda set myself goals like 'try and turn R5000 into R6000 within 2 weeks'

And..?

:)

Try this - click on the 'read more' link...

http://vestact.blogspot.com/2016/02/bad-news-sells.html

Haha I know but one also can pick out the grains of truth in amongst the alarmism.

All I know is that the powers that be have much less at their disposal now than they did previously to ease the effects of falling markets. Not that any of this directly affects me as I do not have any investments in the market.

If I did have any cash looking for a home it would be all in krugerrands under my mattress [emoji4]

So, not having as much time as i used to. I have changed my tactic slightly.

It is early days and i am playing with small amounts to test.

I read the SENS and look for director dealings declarations.

If a SENIOR director or two are buying shares in their companies, i invest.

If they are selling, i sell.

No one knows a company better than the directors, so i am sort of piggy backing off of their knowledge. 

Its a pretty lazy way to invest.

So far its going ok. 

No one knows a company better than the directors, so i am sort of piggy backing off of their knowledge. 

So far its going ok. 

^^^this :thumbup:

Look at PSG last year

Edited by Goodbadugly

So far its going ok. 

That said, be wary as directors know this is how the market reacts and (cough) can use this to manipulate the share price.

So far its going ok. 

Be careful to consider the circumstances under which directors sell shares. Our share scheme is equity settled and accordingly directors need to sell some of the shares they receive to settle the 41% tax charge. OK, some of them sommer pay the cash out of their gatsakke over to SARS, but mostly, they need to sell some shares and SENS announcements don't give that reason. You should be able to pick this up fairly easily from the directors' remuneration and share-based payment notes in the last published annual report/AFS if the company did proper disclosure. 

Yes. This in particular. Stock picking is a dangerous game, and you would be well advised not to do it unless you have a LOT of experience in evaluating companies' financials the same way that, for example, Allan Gray / Coronation does with their 4 fund managers per fund and huuuuge research teams.

My advice is that retail investors should steer clear of individual company shares and rather take the cheap and easy sector and geographic diversification offered by exchange-traded products (an umbrella term for exchange-traded funds and exchange-traded notes).

Which, btw - I have started to do myself. Just small amounts, but yeah. Built up in a local investment first, until I have sufficient capital to buy enough units to overcome the minimum charges that these products normally have. 

Who is easiest/cheapest to trade ETFs through in SA?

Also, how would one trade US-based ETFs from SA?