ASG Bestmed Paarl MTB Classic 16 November

Rydogg

Thanks Darren

check you next yearthanks Darren

check you next year.

Yes, because the success of the race grants immunity to the organisers for a complete disregard for property owners whose land they pass through.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, so my previous post re Playgrounds (the track below Taalmonument) refers.

I just spoke to the marketing manager at TM and she confirmed the following:

- ASG, represented by Darren, requested permission from TM to access TM from Spice Route's side and then pass through the lower gate down Gabema Doordrift road before connecting with Jan Phillips again. This was agree to by TM.

- NO permission was given to use the downhill tracks through Playgrounds.

- NO permission was given to make use of trails inside Taalmonument, since those are hiker's trails which were built by Bennet Nel at great cost to Taalmonument.

- ASG then went and taped the race through Playgrounds and in order to accomodate unskilled riders (since was a flippen full-blown DH track) demolished built features which we had built ourselves. The tabletop feature at the top no longer works because the berm step-down feature is gone and the lip has been cut in to lessen the angle.

-ASG also cut additional track to link the race to that very hiker's trail without permission.

- ASG took the race through that hikers trail. It is now ruined thanks to wet soil and a 1000 tyres digging ruts into it. Come winter it will erode away.

- If ASG wanted to the race down Playgrounds they would have had to pay R20 per rider since that's the cost to ride these trails. They didn't pay a cent. How much did TM lose out on here?

On Friday I personally spoke to Darren and he assured me everything they did was with the knowledge and approval of Taalmonument. Management has now confirmed this to be false.

When I informed him that they seriously ruined the track and that it was disrespectful to us builders and local riders he accused me of being ridiculous.

Darren personally assured me that they would see to it that the features affected would be fixed after the race. I was there today. Nothing has been fixed.

So basically, ASG did what they wanted, on the effort of others, to the detriment and cost of local riding and hiking community, free of charge.

And that's not being disrespectful.

Yes, because the success of the race grants immunity to the organisers for a complete disregard for property owners whose land they pass through.

Would like asg to reply in detail to your post Nico. ......hoping they are not just going to come down to ct like rock stars, mess everything up without making good, before high tailing it back to where they came from.

Might I suggest a dedicated thread maybe so that the feedback won't be lost.

Anyway, my wife is now put off from MTB events, so now I'm looking to take her somewhere where she can build on her skills and get confident on her MTB again. Any ideas?

Welcome to the sport Afdraand.  We all started there.  To contribute to previous advice, I had the same scenario with my missus.  She is a demon on the climbs and downhill but are petrified of singletrack (where she fell a couple of times).  Thus making her avoid it like the plaque. 

I wasn't sure on the last fall if it was pain on her face or being pissed off cause of the damaged to her Spez Rumor Expert.  To afraid to ask.  :eek:

The answer was Jo Dobinson from Biking-in-the-Bosch.  She also helps Arianne Kleinhans with jumps and bootcamp, so she has to be good. 

Within two (hour) lessons my missus went down Jonkies singletrack like she owned it.  Its going to take another couple though, but Jo is good and teaches the girls a lot of skills and technique.

If you interested, PM me for her number. 

Hold the phone.. did the organiser take a xc event down a downhill track and then onto hiking trails in the wet?

What gives?

If you think Rhebokskloof is technical, maybe you should consider a road bike. Rhebokskloof actually has no rocks, compared to Muratie. G-spot is a definite no go for beginner riders.Thats just stupid advice sending them to g spot.

I disagree re g spot. It's perfect for beginners. All the jumps can be bypassed, it's smooth and flowy and only has jumps if you decide to take them, and all but the biggest jumps are rollable.

It's perfect for bike handling skills and movement on the bike and if yiu come off there's nothing to hurt yourself on

Welcome to the sport Afdraand. We all started there. To contribute to previous advice, I had the same scenario with my missus. She is a demon on the climbs and downhill but are petrified of singletrack (where she fell a couple of times). Thus making her avoid it like the plaque.

I wasn't sure on the last fall if it was pain on her face or being pissed off cause of the damaged to her Spez Rumor Expert. To afraid to ask. :eek:

The answer was Jo Dobinson from Biking-in-the-Bosch. She also helps Arianne Kleinhans with jumps and bootcamp, so she has to be good.

Within two (hour) lessons my missus went down Jonkies singletrack like she owned it. Its going to take another couple though, but Jo is good and teaches the girls a lot of skills and technique.

If you interested, PM me for her number.

Jo Dobinson is brilliant as is her brother Dan. Dan is a DEMON on the bike and holds his own skills clinic through iRide Africa. Won't go wrong with either of them

I disagree re g spot. It's perfect for beginners. All the jumps can be bypassed, it's smooth and flowy and only has jumps if you decide to take them, and all but the biggest jumps are rollable.

It's perfect for bike handling skills and movement on the bike and if yiu come off there's nothing to hurt yourself on

But its busy. She wil be put under pressure from riders from behind, just like in the race she did. Also intimidating for a new rider with all the Specialized pros out there. 

Hold the phone.. did the organiser take a xc event down a downhill track and then onto hiking trails in the wet?

What gives?

Barely. It was a really short section. Like 100m. I think this guy is over-reacting. 

Barely. It was a really short section. Like 100m. I think this guy is over-reacting.

"This guy" is the person who is negotiating with TM to keep mtb trails on the monument grounds, as well as maintain them, build new ones and make it accessible for those who want to ride it.

Do you have ANY idea how much work goes in to that, whilst also building and maintaining the trails?

But its busy. She wil be put under pressure from riders from behind, just like in the race she did. Also intimidating for a new rider with all the Specialized pros out there.

Yeah, sometimes it's busy, but the type of rider that goes there and goes really fast is the type of rider that will wait for her to be far enough ahead, or give her pointers, and help her progress. Plus it's not always busy. Last 2 times I've gone there it's been dead quiet.

Barely. It was a really short section. Like 100m. I think this guy is over-reacting. 

Nico really does put a lot of effort and money into the trails. I often read his posts on the Paarl downhillers facebook page. 

We are collating all the facts and will then reply.  If an undertaking was made to repair sections of the trail to what it was before it will be done (please consider the race was on Sunday and it is Tuesday morning now - the team is actually still out cleaning up).  We invite anyone that feel unhappy to contact our race director directly (he actually lives in Paarl and will be open to meet with anyone feeling aggrieved) - we will do our utmost to resolve any issues but obviously prefer (and think it will be more constructive) to do that face to face and not online at this stage...rest assured that all necessary approvals were obtained in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Just seen there email, the entry for this ride next year goes up to R350 for the 60km route.

This just pis@#@es me off, pure greed, keep your damn goodie bag,I'm out

PREFERENTIAL ENTRY WINDOW FOR 2014 PARTICIPANTS

http://i3.cmail2.com/ei/j/CA/C50/CDA/csimport/PaarlMTBClassicJpeglogo.230117.jpg

We have been humbled and are incredibly thankful for the feedback we’ve received after this year's Bestmed Paarl MTB Classic, presented by the City of Drakenstein.

Many riders have said the event is likely to rival the traditional stronghold mass participation MTB events in the Western Cape as far as participant numbers are concerned, but we have decided to limit the event to 1700 riders for next year to try guarantee a solid measure of route experience to all participants without sacrificing their quality of ride.

We are pleased to announce that we’re increasing the entry value package for next year’s event, which takes place on 22 November, with the help of our sister company ASG Sport Solutions.

It brings with it an increase in the entry fee but it also brings a stack of value which we believe will be well received.

The entry fee will be R350 for the 60km ride and R280 for the 30km ride.

Archived