Spill some chain lube on brake caliper.

Disco man

I need some help please, I've spilled some chain lube on my rear caliper and now sit with almost no rear breaks. I've removed the brake shoes, washed them with sunlight liquid and the disk it self, assembled but still nothing. The caliper pistons is moving fine and if I stand and lean forward on the bike then there seems to be something. What can I do to get my breaks back, the shoes are still new?

Search the many many threads about brake pad contamination. Id burn them, others soak them. Goodluck, they should be recoverable. 

So try this... Go to the top of a very steep hill. Go down with your brakes on. The heat will hopefully burn off all the crap. Please be careful though. It may not work and you may not stop. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Make sure your buddy follows with the GoPro

Take out the pads, pour petrol on them and set it alight. Wait till it have cooled down and sand them with some sand paper. put them back and go for a ride with your hand on the lever so that the brake heat up. when you stop pour some water on the caliper and then ride it warm again. After that it would become better with every ride.

The heating / setting them on fire option could cost you the pads if they are resin pads. It can burn off the resin that holds the pad together - been there done that. They just crumbled while out on the trail. If they are sintered (metal) then it should be ok to do.

The safer option is to take out the pads and soak them in something like Shield Blade, rinse them and soak them in rubbing alcohol for a while as well. A little bit of sand papering will help as well. You will need to clean / sandpaper the rotors as well and bed them in again.

So try this... Go to the top of a very steep hill. Go down with your brakes on. The heat will hopefully burn off all the crap. Please be careful though. It may not work and you may not stop. Good luck and let us know how it goes

Try and clean the pads and the disc before you go with some Isopropyl Alchohol or that Disc brake spray and then go to the top of the hill.  Make sure it is a tarred road so you have proper grip, and don't worry, you still have your front brake.  As you go down you should start feeling the pads grip more and more.  As soon as you feel them starting to grip, let the brake go for a second or two and do it again.  Do this a few times and it should burn off the oil.  If it does not work then just bite the bullet and get new pads.

Been there, tried most things. The pads will never be the same again. Go get new ones and call it school fees...

Very true story (I have been too embarrassed to admit to it)

But, I actually did Q20 my brake pads once as n "nat-nuut" noob... after misreading a joke on this here forum...

The LBS just laughed his head off as he gave me a bill for the new break pads...

I've had some good experience with this cleaning rotors, pads and brakes. Maybe it will help but it's great for general use. (Yeah it's overpriced Muc off, all the shop had and it smells nice)

http://ancillary.edinburghbicycle.com/image-cache/00014774/00015912/extra-large/muc-off-disc-brake-cleaner.jpg

I have held pads over a small camping gas flame (using pliers!), let them heat up a bit, you don't have to braai them too much. Leave them to cool down and then take some sand paper and lightly sand off some of the top layer. Do not touch the pads with your fingers if you can help it.

Then use some more clean sandpaper and lightly sand/buff the disc, don't use a very coarse grit or too fine grit and use a light circular motion. Lightly wipe off the disc with a clean piece of kitchen roll. The go for a ride, get some speed up (on a safe piece of road!) and then repeatedly brake and release. After a few goes you will see if the pads are usable and beginning to bite again or if you need to replace them.

Been there, tried most things. The pads will never be the same again. Go get new ones and call it school fees...

+1 I have never been successful with the petrol/flammable substance burn it or even the bake it in the oven at 220deg for 10 minutes etc.

Now if it happens I just get moerig with myself, throw them in the bin and get new ones .... I do however always clean the rotors with some of those alcohol pad thingys before using the new pads.

I've done this before too.  For the amount of time and effort that you're going to put in, my opinion is that it's just not worth it.  The pads will never feel the same again and will not have that sharp bite and responsive feel.

Just slap in a new set and forget about it.  I ended up replacing mine after hours of working on them and was left wondering why I bothered trying to do anything on the 'old' ones at all.

So try this... Go to the top of a very steep hill. Go down with your brakes on. The heat will hopefully burn off all the crap. Please be careful though. It may not work and you may not stop. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

LOL!!! This post wins :thumbup: Come to Tokai Disco man, we have an uber steep hill called The Mast!

I need some help please, I've spilled some chain lube on my rear caliper and now sit with almost no rear breaks. I've removed the brake shoes, washed them with sunlight liquid and the disk it self, assembled but still nothing. The caliper pistons is moving fine and if I stand and lean forward on the bike then there seems to be something. What can I do to get my breaks back, the shoes are still new?

take out the pads soak them in "muc off" brake fluid for 10 mins then in petrol for 15 mins after that light them on fire.(works 100% :thumbup: ) for the rotors(which you also wil HAVE to clean) take "muc off" brake cleaner spray them down GOOD and wipe them dry with tissues(nothing else) 

Let me know if it helped 

Regards Francois

Went through most of the burn soak spray clean advice listed here when my fork seal blew and contaminated my front brakes with fork oil.

None of it worked.

Here's what you do to restore braking to "as-before" or better :

1) throw the old pads away ( don't argue!)

2) clean disc and calipers as well as possible by scrubbing with a decent water based detergent like engine cleaner, clean green, dishwash liquid etc.

3) remove the disc and clean it with acetone. Don't get this stuff near your paint, that's why you remove the disc first!

5) use more clean acetone on a clean cloth to give the disc a final clean. Allow to dry

6) Re-assemble disc, fit NEW pads, align and bed in normally.

7) PM me and thank me for all the time I saved you and all the danger you avoided by not riding with faulty brakes ☺☺☺

Archived