Long distance touring bike

_freak_

Question for those running 48t up front - how good is front derailleur shifting? What derailleur are you using?? I want to run this combo as well but have been warned it's a b!tch to get right (if at all).

Awesome thread.

About the bike: I know a couple of people who've done many kays of loaded off-road touring on old Trek 4700/4900 frames who are very happy with them.

For wheels, make sure you get strong rims and spokes - Mavic with DT Swiss are great. Also look at using brass nipples not aluminum - works better and easier to repair should you break one. Having a good wheel-build is obviously very important for loaded touring but often overlooked.

No problem at all with 48T up front.  Using LX Dual shifters if that makes a difference.

Standard SLX FD up front.  Heard these stories too so I guess I am just lucky.  Works like a bomb!  As smooth as........

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Factory built wheels are not the best.

Spot on.

But I do have to say, I got mine from Chain Reaction (couldn't get/afford local options) and the build has proved fantastic. Bike dropped off a carrier at +/-100 km/h, bounced along behind the car on its front wheel for some distance, scraping the rim, and was still true afterwards. All that was needed was a hub service as some bearings had popped out of position. Not one broken spoke. I've been waiting for one to break since, but nothing yet...

CRC's wheels are pre-stressed as part of the build process. So far, has worked for me.

Strong rims, reliable hubs, good spokes and a solid build. Spend the money on that now and avoid paying later! A proper touring frame might be nice to have but you can get away with a reliable MTB one, whereas light-weight wheels won't do it for long.

Also get a spoke key to match along with a few spare spokes.

And PLEASE post photos!

No problem at all with 48T up front. Using LX Dual shifters if that makes a difference.

Standard SLX FD up front. Heard these stories too so I guess I am just lucky. Works like a bomb! As smooth as........

Excellent! That's what I'll do then. Am on a 42t and spin out on the flats. 44t would be nice, but doesn't seem like much of a difference.

post-52292-0-01295500-1416552665_thumb.jpg

Do you guys use anything like this? This is an early 90's Rock Ring bash guard. Was very useful on the Mid East and Africa portion of our tour.

Bash guards are definitely not a new idea!!

• 1 month later...

Spot on.

But I do have to say, I got mine from Chain Reaction (couldn't get/afford local options) and the build has proved fantastic. Bike dropped off a carrier at +/-100 km/h, bounced along behind the car on its front wheel for some distance, scraping the rim, and was still true afterwards. All that was needed was a hub service as some bearings had popped out of position. Not one broken spoke. I've been waiting for one to break since, but nothing yet...

CRC's wheels are pre-stressed as part of the build process. So far, has worked for me.

Strong rims, reliable hubs, good spokes and a solid build. Spend the money on that now and avoid paying later! A proper touring frame might be nice to have but you can get away with a reliable MTB one, whereas light-weight wheels won't do it for long.

Also get a spoke key to match along with a few spare spokes.

And PLEASE post photos!

Hundreds of photos here....

http://www.seeyouwhenwegetthere.com/photo-album.php

• 7 months later...
I am almost finished with my new project, a long distance tourer, will post a picture when done,

Basically mtb hardtail frame and 26 wheels with a triple ring 48-38-26 and 11-34 at the back, mtb bars and solid aluminium fork, disc brakes (160 f & b), frame, saddle, handlebar, saddle bags and rear carrier with medium/small panniers, will carry a small backpack as well.

At the moment there are tubed slicks on but would probably go to tubeless mtb tires for mainly gravel/off road.[/

I am almost finished with my new project, a long distance tourer, will post a picture when done,

Basically mtb hardtail frame and 26 wheels with a triple ring 48-38-26 and 11-34 at the back, mtb bars and solid aluminium fork, disc brakes (160 f & b), frame, saddle, handlebar, saddle bags and rear carrier with medium/small panniers, will carry a small backpack as well.

At the moment there are tubed slicks on but would probably go to tubeless mtb tires for mainly gravel/off road.

My 26er no suss steel Claud Butler Shaman was awesome back in the early 90's. UK to north Norway to Cape Town. A mix of tar and dirt, 21000+ km's, great bike. We loaded front and rear racks with Karrimor paniers. The front racks were high rise. Triple ring Mavic and Onza chain rings with XT mechs, Campag wheels, gosh memories........

Nice build....that seat angle brings tears to my eyes.

I think it's a bit of a "photo illusion", the saddle is actually level with the ground, checked it with a spirit level!

Archived