Scam on Gumtree

sluiper

asked for a pic of the bikes.... got this

Here with full details of our bike

Mountain Bike 2013 - Full Suspension MTB ans we sell them at R12000 each waiting to read from you.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/_generated/_generated_uk/bikes/models/images/2000/2013/2013_GIANT_ANTHEM_X_29ER_3.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Except for the obvious issue of most of these ads that 1: the price doesn't stack up to whats being offered, 2: the knob copy and pasted the stats of a bike but on the photo you have completely different gear on it. easy way to spot the fakes, save the image and run googles image search on it, 99.9% will take you to someone who posted their bike somewhere and they just lifted the image. Scam.

Found this on OLX, sommer in my back yard.

http://brits.olx.co.za/men-s-mountain-bike-new-giant-anthem-full-suspen-iid-755458624

I asked if the bikes is still available...... this was the reply

"Dear client,

Accept worm greetings from us, we sell our Giant Anthem Full Suspension bike at R12000 we're actually having an end of year special which is running from the 10 November to the 10 December all client purchasing within this period of time will have to benefit from our promotion you are welcome to visit us any time from 8am to 3pm from Monday to Friday..but if the address is too far for you to come visit and make a choice or pick one of the Giant Anthem Full Suspension we can courier the Giant Anthem Full Suspension  to you where ever you are located through a reliable courier agency home delivery to your address. if that be the case the information I will be needing from you are found below."

HOME OR DELIVERY ADDRESS.......................

PHONE NUMBERS....................................

EMAIL ADDRESS...................................

NEAREST AIRPORT...................................

TIME YOU WILL LIKE TO RECEIVE THE Giant Anthem Full Suspension ..................

Best Regards

Sales Manager

Jumat

222 Paul kruggers avenue Bloemfontein.

Accept worm greetings? 

Sounds a bit like that first bite of a dodgy apple.

And the rest of the message does not detract from that.

asked for a pic of the bikes.... got this

Here with full details of our bike

Mountain Bike 2013 - Full Suspension MTB ans we sell them at R12000 each waiting to read from you.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/_generated/_generated_uk/bikes/models/images/2000/2013/2013_GIANT_ANTHEM_X_29ER_3.jpg

Me ruv you China scam, translated with Google translate!

So here are the specs of the bike  I asked them for.

Mountain Bike 2013 - Full Suspension MTB

Wattage:

200 - 250w

Voltage:

36V

Power Supply:

Lithium Battery

Wheel Size:

26“

Motor:

Brushless

Certification:

EN15194

Frame Material:

Carbon Fibre

Foldable:

No

Max Speed:

<30km/h

Range per Power:

31 - 60 km

Place of Origin:

Jiangsu China (Mainland)

Brand Name:

Aodeson or OEM

Model Number:

TM265T

Color:

Customer requirement

Logo:

Customer requirement

:mellow: Did I miss something in giants range of bikes?

Wattage:

200 - 250w

Voltage:

36V

Power Supply:

Lithium Battery

Wheel Size:

26“

Motor:

Brushless

Certification:

EN15194

Frame Material:

Carbon Fibre

Foldable:

No

Max Speed:

<30km/h

Range per Power:

31 - 60 km

Place of Origin:

Jiangsu China (Mainland)

Brand Name:

Aodeson or OEM

Model Number:

TM265T

Color:

Customer requirement

Logo:

Customer requirement

:eek:  :eek:  :eek:  apparently so did I. Should get some wattage and voltage for my bike as well.

Sorry for the late respond to your mail.

In order for you to secure the

Mountain Bike to yourself, you will need to pay the full amount of R12000 which is the net worth for the Mountain Bike because we need to carry out all the necessary expenditure as regarding the delivery proceedings .

Once that is done just forward to me the proof of payment so as to enable me proceed with your delivery arrangement without any delay.

BANK STANDARD BANK

Name :            S.T DIPHOFA

Acc Number:       10068282980

Branch code:      051 001

Can the above shown bank account be used to trace a person, would it help reporting the matter the the cops?

Wattage:

200 - 250w

Voltage:

36V

Power Supply:

Lithium Battery

Wheel Size:

26“

Motor:

Brushless

Certification:

EN15194

Frame Material:

Carbon Fibre

Foldable:

No

Max Speed:

<30km/h

Range per Power:

31 - 60 km

Place of Origin:

Jiangsu China (Mainland)

Brand Name:

Aodeson or OEM

Model Number:

TM265T

Color:

Customer requirement

Logo:

Customer requirement

bwahaha all that for only 12k, What a bargain. Scary thing is some people will still fall for it.

Sorry for the late respond to your mail.

In order for you to secure the

Mountain Bike to yourself, you will need to pay the full amount of R12000 which is the net worth for the Mountain Bike because we need to carry out all the necessary expenditure as regarding the delivery proceedings .

Once that is done just forward to me the proof of payment so as to enable me proceed with your delivery arrangement without any delay.

BANK STANDARD BANK

Name :            S.T DIPHOFA

Acc Number:       10068282980

Branch code:      051 001

Can the above shown bank account be used to trace a person, would it help reporting the matter the the cops?

You can trace the individual using the bank account number, but not just as Joe Public. The cops have to have subpoena his details and can only do so if there is an open case, with evidence suggesting an offence was committed. The subpoena to trace this person has to be signed off by both a prosecutor and a magistrate, on the face of prima facie evidence. 

Up to know, the scammer has not committed an offence, so the cops won't be interested (even though it is clearly and advance fee / "419" scam.

You can trace the individual using the bank account number, but not just as Joe Public. The cops have to have subpoena his details and can only do so if there is an open case, with evidence suggesting an offence was committed. The subpoena to trace this person has to be signed off by both a prosecutor and a magistrate, on the face of prima facie evidence. 

Up to know, the scammer has not committed an offence, so the cops won't be interested (even though it is clearly and advance fee / "419" scam.

Well, will just keep screwing him around then. 

starting to wonder what the net worth of my bike is, maybe i should try and finance a 2nd one against it

Archived