Mountain vs. Road

I have noticed that i am a better MTB climber than most ,but a worst road climber than most in my seeding groups. I do very little road training and only do races mostly .I have also noticed that without constant core muscle strength training my overall performance has declined .I also don,t ride my SS often enough .SS was great overall training .My 2C .Road for endurance .MtB for strength

Edited by Blitzer

Nothing compares to training on the road for fitness. MTB terrain is too varied to give you the same constant resistance unless you are very disciplined about choosing your routes carefully.

I experienced the same. Would be interesting if there were any studies on the benefits/disadvantages of mixing up your training between mtb/road. I also find that after a road season I struggle on the steep mtb climbs and I tire quickly because my body is not used to the bumpy trails, takes me a week or 2 to adjust.

Just personal preference but I generally don't "mix" my riding, when it's roadie season I spend the majority of my time on the road bike and visa versa for mtb season.

It's not about the bike ;-)

In terms of racing I'd agree with previous comments - mtb is more a long TT with road racing being more interval based.

In terms of training it's more about the terrain. Road allows you (within reason) to control the intervals - mtb terrain has too many interruptions to allow decent intervals. Mtb terrain is also more extreme than road. Roads are built within limited gradients - mtb isn't. Traction etc also affects pedaling/difficulty.

Which is better to train on? Doesn't matter. It's the quality of the training that matters.

Which is better to train on? Doesn't matter. It's the quality of the training that matters.

couldnt agree more ,when it's hurting it's working.

I think it does matter. Especially at a higher level.

On a road bike you can stay in the specific training zones quite easily and repeatedly.

MTB is a bit harder on the rest of your body, which can be a good and a bad thing.

MTB is fun, which should also not be ignored.

Yes, that's the dilemna. Road training is very focussed and pretty much "timed" as in start and end time is pretty much pre-determined. On the mountain - we mess around , do extra loops etc.

Edited by cadenceblur

I say a good balance would be 2/3 road training (for fitness and speed) and 1/3 MTB (for the fun and skill aspect). Also dont leave out the intervals during the week. But long road rides at sub-lactate threshhold level are very valuable. 

I can actually feel myself slowing down if I don't get on the road bike for too long, leg strength and power is just replaced with weak high cadence cowboy styles ;)

I say a good balance would be 2/3 road training (for fitness and speed) and 1/3 MTB (for the fun and skill aspect). Also dont leave out the intervals during the week. But long road rides at sub-lactate threshhold level are very valuable.

what about a riding your MTB on the road to the trails, have some fun there, and road ride back?

*edit* assuming that on-road MTB'ing will give the same results as regular road riding....

Edited by MTBc

*edit* assuming that on-road MTB'ing will give the same results as regular road riding....

It won't.  Apart from keeping the pedals turning, it's completely different

I am not a roadie, I just have a MTB, but I ride the road every now and then, but the trails are what keeps the stoke. Long road sessions do seem to make me faster and last longer in the saddle, MTB builds strength to climb the lovely hills in the Fairest Cape. BUT, MTB definitely is better in the wind, as you are riding all around the compass, so at times the wind is at the front, at other times you are being "pushed" uphill by a pumping South Easterly...In the road, for me at least, I have it at my back for half my ride, and in my face for the second half, usually heading back home...that just sucks the fun right out of riding tar for me..

Edited by KarlvN

It won't.  Apart from keeping the pedals turning, it's completely different

Isn't that the aspect of road riding that makes you faster? Consistent resistance, as apposed to bursts.