The Munga 2015

StevieL

With that few entries this will be the first and last Munga....

Not so sure about that... I think they have gone pretty low key for a reason. Build back up slowly, last year would have done untold damage. I'd wager 100+ riders next year

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not so sure about that... I think they have gone pretty low key for a reason. Build back up slowly, last year would have done untold damage. I'd wager 100+ riders next year

Low key due to lack of interest, that is the reason.

Last year there was more hype around Munga than there was for anything else. Then boom... no sponsor and all interest vanished like a fart in a bubble bath and that interest level has been the same all of this year.

60 hours....

I was heading just a bit above that - will go with 68 for this year. 60 will be in jeopardy next year though once the guys have felt this one out

Low key due to lack of interest, that is the reason.

Last year there was more hype around Munga than there was for anything else. Then boom... no sponsor and all interest vanished like a fart in a bubble bath and that interest level has been the same all of this year.

Rebuilding... getting the right people riding. Last year was a completely different beast - this year is about selling the idea to the world again. The million dollar Hunger games slaughterfest on two wheels with the best of the best riding would have been awesome, but sadly it was not meant to be. 1000km for R12k. That's pretty solid value if distance is your thing

No ways... 43 entries not bad at all. Don't write this one off just yet. Throw the right marketing hype at it and okes will be queueing up

Rebuilding... getting the right people riding. Last year was a completely different beast - this year is about selling the idea to the world again. The million dollar Hunger games slaughterfest on two wheels with the best of the best riding would have been awesome, but sadly it was not meant to be. 1000km for R12k. That's pretty solid value if distance is your thing

R12k... hope the water points and accomodation is good.

i hope the good bag is good

so obviously no million buck prize anymore....what is the prize...a Ferrari?

edit: sp

You seem very angry... is this ride too tough for the mighty Chukky  :whistling:

I think the entry fee is reasonable . I think it is very unreasonable to expect you to only take your helmet of at one of the 5 CP's !!  :clap:

You seem very angry... is this ride too tough for the mighty Chukky  :whistling:

Trying to establish value....

It's not for everyone and certainly not for the faint hearted.

Munga is what it is. Alex had the guts to try something different so good on him. More than happy to give it a fair chance and hoping like hell it works.

For the rest ... there's always the Argus.

What accommodation? 5 water points isn't it? 

I think this is cool.

Just under 3 days is a good guestimate.

Are the Dreyers having a crack? It would surprise me an out and out 'cyclist' won this and not an adventure racer or Freedom Challenge local. The ability to tun the cranks for 70 hours non stop at a 14kph is not as simple as it seems on a mountain bike. 

I say good luck and hopefully this sticks. 

I hope this becomes a success, and reaches its dream of R1000000 prize money, it will just add value to cycling to south africa and exposure to our athletes to top international riders

Archived