Building a Cyclo Cross bike

Meerkat82

With hydraulic disks.....  gonna be interesting.... :)

You didn't make reference to hydraulic...

Still can be done. TRP make a cable actuated/ hydraulic operating system... There are other systems too.

Otherwise go 2x10/11 and get hydraulic STI's  :clap: .

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now this is what I am talking about....

Please share on how you did this.

I am in love now :drool:

Cotic X frame. CX specific steel frame. (No longer made by Cotic but they now make the Escapade). I can put you in touch with them regarding the Escapade.

Sram Force group.

ENVE bars and wheels with Chris King hubs.

ENVE CX fork.

Bike is built up with Avid Shorty Ultimate canti's (I just prefer the look), but can be built with discs too.

Thomson bits thrown in for good measure.

Many CX frames and forks will run MTB hub spacing and your gearing should be easier than that of a road bike. Positioning on the bike isn't usually setup as aggressively as road either - all in, it's a bike that just makes sense for so many riding conditions in our country - road, district road, gravel, bit of single track - it handles it all.

Edited by Ryanpmb

With hydraulic disks.....  gonna be interesting.... :)

TRP makes a hydraulic caliper that is cable actuated and Hope makes a reservoir that fits under your stem that is also cable actuated which then activates your hydraulic caliperspost-26136-0-92408900-1416998035_thumb.jpgpost-26136-0-47339900-1416997918_thumb.jpg

Thanks - although looking at the monstercross above... maybe I might change my mind... in anycase, you have the frame.... I better talk to you soon.... :)

Looks heaps of fun doesn't it!

Ok guys so heres some info from the frontlines.

1) You get full carbon CX bikes (look at Colnago, Trek, Specialized etc) and then you get more the classic look of Steel frames like Ritchey (www.bicicletta.co.za) or Cotics.

2) a CX bike is purpose built with more clearance for wider tires. a typical CX bike will use 35mm tires (again Ritchey does an awesome CX tire)

3) a CX bike will typically have a slightly different geometry with a raised BB for more clearance over obsticles.

4) You can go Rim brake; disc brake manual or disc brake hydraulic.

You will have to choose your frame accordingly as the mountings are different.

5) then you can really mix it up and go Di2 Electronic Hydarualic group.

6) You would need to choose your wheels carefully too. HED Ardennes CX rims have a 25mm wide rim so allows for the tire to be set much better. they are also super light and strong.

Cyclocross bikes are very capable but not recommended for technical mtb riding (unless you have skill like Martin Ashton)

A top end Ritchey CX bike with HED wheels, Ritchey Carbon Components and Ultegra Di2 Hydraulic group will set you back R65k.

Carbon Frames you can add an additional R20k to that.

Some pics to follow

You build your build the way you want. I'm almost done mine, is up and running but not happy with gear ratios just yet. With that said it's not quite as simple as fat tyres on a road frame. Most of the components I have had to manufacture/modify.

You build your build the way you want. I'm almost done mine, is up and running but not happy with gear ratios just yet. With that said it's not quite as simple as fat tyres on a road frame. Most of the components I have had to manufacture/modify.

So I hope you will share some pics.

Drops.

Rigid fork.

Usually slightly smaller than MTB tyres but bigger than road - 1.8 - 2.2.

attachicon.gifOn One MonsterX.JPG

What bars are those? I admit I do like the look of this.. very much... wonder how it would look with 3 x 8 gripshifts..... :)

4) You can go Rim brake; disc brake manual or disc brake hydraulic.

You will have to choose your frame accordingly as the mountings are different.

The Cotic X will accomodate discs and cantis... if you can still find a frame...

Shouldn't be necessary if you get the correct components. Must be fun nonetheless  :thumbup: .

Edited by Ryanpmb

What bars are those? I admit I do like the look of this.. very much... wonder how it would look with 3 x 8 gripshifts..... :)

On One Midge or Ragley Luxy would be what you're seeing there.

How about some friction bar end shifters?...