Building a Cyclo Cross bike

Meerkat82

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

wow dudes... I go away for a month and this thread just explodes!!!

so many cool bikes being delivered and built, super excited to see them all. :thumbup:

You started feeding the beast and it just kept growing........

And welcome back. Was wondering where you've been

Edited by LOOK695

I'm trying to get my head around compatibility of shifters with derailleurs and cassettes.

From what I've read on this thread and on the google-machine, it seems there's scope to mix and match components to an extent?

I'd like to use as much as I have available, which is: 2x10 105 STIs, 10-sp 105 RD - short cage, 105 - FD, 105 crankset (53, 39). And a complete 3x9 MTB Deore XT groupset. 

I'm thinking of cantilever brakes, so the STI's should work for braking.

Now for gears and drivetrain. Using the complete 105 drive-train seems over-geared for me (I'm playing with the idea for a gravel tourer and...I have puny legs. I ride 50/34 and 11-28 on my road bike so granny-gearing and I are good friends), so I'd like to utilise some of the 3x9 Deore if possible.

From what I've read, 10-sp STIs can shift a 9-sp RD (on a 10-sp cassette ?). Presumably this needs a 10-sp chain (?) but can one use 9-sp chainwheels? And presumably not a 10-sp STI with a 9-sp MTB cassette?

If I take the smallest chainwheel off the crankset, leaving the largest 2, and add spacers if necessary, then the 105-Fd or XT-FD and 105 STI will presumably work? 

If I haven't gone wrong so far, I'm left with:

2x10 105 STI,

9-sp XT RD,

105 or XT FD,

10-sp cassette (11-32 or whatever) - can 9-sp be used?

Double chainwheels (can 9-spds be used?)

Chain - 9 or 10-sp required?

Any suggestions or incorrect assumptions, other compatibility options, or no-nos will be gratefully received!

Edited by Fat Boab

I'm trying to get my head around compatibility of shifters with derailleurs and cassettes.

From what I've read on this thread and on the google-machine, it seems there's scope to mix and match components to an extent?

I'd like to use as much as I have available, which is: 2x10 105 STIs, 10-sp 105 RD - short cage, 105 - FD, 105 crankset (53, 39). And a complete 3x9 MTB Deore XT groupset.

I'm thinking of cantilever brakes, so the STI's should work for braking.

Now for gears and drivetrain. Using the complete 105 drive-train seems over-geared for me (I'm playing with the idea for a gravel tourer and...I have puny legs. I ride 50/34 and 11-28 on my road bike so granny-gearing and I are good friends), so I'd like to utilise some of the 3x9 Deore if possible.

From what I've read, 10-sp STIs can shift a 9-sp RD (on a 10-sp cassette ?). Presumably this needs a 10-sp chain (?) but can one use 9-sp chainwheels? And presumably not a 10-sp STI with a 9-sp MTB cassette?

If I take the smallest chainwheel off the crankset, leaving the largest 2, and add spacers if necessary, then the 105-Fd or XT-FD and 105 STI will presumably work?

If I haven't gone wrong so far, I'm left with:

2x10 105 STI,

9-sp XT RD,

105 or XT FD,

10-sp cassette (11-32 or whatever) - can 9-sp be used?

Double chainwheels (can 9-spds be used?)

Chain - 9 or 10-sp required?

Any suggestions or incorrect assumptions, other compatibility options, or no-nos will be gratefully received!

I understand your assumptions are correct BUT I'm not a fundi on mixing the 10spd and 9spd equipment.

Ping ChroMo - this man should be able to offer some advice here?...

10spd STis will shift a 9spd MTD rear derailleur just fine.

You can use 9sp chainrings, but I would advise moving to 10sp as soon as is possible.

Cantis should work. V-brakes will most probably not work as efficiently.

If you use the outer two chainrings on a triple, you will need a Triple MTB FD.

2x 9 or 10 Road will not have sufficient throw, and the shape of a road triple FD is not the best for an MTB crankset.

All the above come from BITTER personal experience. :thumbup:

10spd STis will shift a 9spd MTD rear derailleur just fine. Understood.

You can use 9sp chainrings, but I would advise moving to 10sp as soon as is possible. Understood.

Cantis should work. V-brakes will most probably not work as efficiently. Understood.

If you use the outer two chainrings on a triple, you will need a Triple MTB FD. Understood.

2x 9 or 10 Road will not have sufficient throw, and the shape of a road triple FD is not the best for an MTB crankset. Huh? Can I use 2x10 road STIs, with a triple MTB FD on a MTB crankset with the smallest ring removed? Perhaps I'll need to extend the in-board limit screw?

All the above come from BITTER personal experience. :thumbup:

Font of knowledge!

Right so all my parts have finally arrived and tonight or early tomorrow morning i will complete my build and post pictures. cannot wait! :)

Looking forward to that!

Font of knowledge! - not really ;)

As to your question:

MTB triple - is it 9 or 10 spd?

I've never done that, but the 10spd road Dynasys system differs from the 10sp MTB in terms of pull-ratio.

I would think that a 9spd MTB  FD would work, a 10spd not.

Anyone else like to weigh in on this?

Edited by Chro Mo

Font of knowledge! - not really ;)

As to your question:

MTB triple - is it 9 or 10 spd?

I've never done that, but the 10spd road Dynasys system differs from the 10sp MTB in terms of pull-ratio.

I would think that a 9spd MTB  FD would work, a 10spd not.

Anyone else like to weigh in on this?

MTB triple is 9-spd, with a 9-spd triple FD.

If I measure the width of my road double-chain rings (outer to outer), it's the same distance as the width from large to mid chain ring (outer to outer) of my triple MTB cranks. But I think you're driving at whether the range of pull, from the STI, would be sufficient through a 9-sp MTD FD to change from large to mid chain wheel. Hmmm, let me ponder further.

Many thanks for your help so far.

MTB triple is 9-spd, with a 9-spd triple FD.

If I measure the width of my road double-chain rings (outer to outer), it's the same distance as the width from large to mid chain ring (outer to outer) of my triple MTB cranks. But I think you're driving at whether the range of pull, from the STI, would be sufficient through a 9-sp MTD FD to change from large to mid chain wheel. Hmmm, let me ponder further.

Many thanks for your help so far.

Also, with this talk of cranks, MTB are 73mm and Road are 68mm in terms of axle length, so you will need BB spacers.

Your LBS should have some - if not, give me a shout, as I have some spare.

I presume this is a road frame. Ignore if an MTB frame.

Enjoy!

Drops.

Rigid fork.

Usually slightly smaller than MTB tyres but bigger than road - 1.8 - 2.2.

attachicon.gifOn One MonsterX.JPG

I've looked at the pic in the above post for years (I've had it from way back when) and always wondered what it would be like to have/ ride/ experience one of these...

Thanks to a good friend and fellow hubber, ChroMo, who pushed me over the edge with regards to the decision and has been a huge source of advice and knowledge... this just happened...

post-12909-0-84555800-1445077720_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ryanpmb