Building a Cyclo Cross bike

Meerkat82

Ok, thanks guys. Yeah, from my limited knowledge it looks pretty good.Though it might be worth upgrading sometime.

Aren't hydraulic brakes a pain to maintain though?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure, but they sure cost a lot. My TRP Spyre mechanical brakes are rubbish, almost no stopping power. Pretty scary on a downhill.

Oh hell, just what I wanted to hear! Well always wear shoes with thick rubber soles...

Zorro I have no idea where you heard that or how you came to that conclusion . I'm running spyres and cannot praise them enough. Super reliable and very low maintenance

Zorro I have no idea where you heard that or how you came to that conclusion . I'm running spyres and cannot praise them enough. Super reliable and very low maintenance

Just my personal experience with mine.  Have tried adjusting the brakes myself,  took it to LBS to adjust and fitted new brake cables.  The brakes just don't have any bite

I have ordered some Jagwire brake pads and compression-less cable housing which will hopefully help a bit

Edited by Zorro5614

Also happy with mine....

So I pulled the trigger on Chris' American Classic 30 Cx disk wheelset last week before I went on leave.

Nothing in life is easy.

Tried to fit a used 35mm Maxxis Cx tyre with a 35mm Kenda tube.  Tube valve too short!!!!!!!!!!  Luckily I had a valve extender in a box, but the tyre would not seat properly at the valve hole with the tyre bead protruding from the rim.  Seems to have too little space for the tyre/tube combo.

Am Classic did say the rims could be run with a tube!!

Then tried a normal road tube which seems too "small" and the same thing happens.  The bead does not want to seat in the rim hook at the valve hole????

Any ideas?

Next step to run them tubeless as intended, but this was interesting, since you might require to run a tube after a serious puncture.  So the tube/rim/tyre compatibility issue needs to be solved

So I pulled the trigger on Chris' American Classic 30 Cx disk wheelset last week before I went on leave.

Nothing in life is easy.

Tried to fit a used 35mm Maxxis Cx tyre with a 35mm Kenda tube.  Tube valve too short!!!!!!!!!!  Luckily I had a valve extender in a box, but the tyre would not seat properly at the valve hole with the tyre bead protruding from the rim.  Seems to have too little space for the tyre/tube combo.

Am Classic did say the rims could be run with a tube!!

Then tried a normal road tube which seems too "small" and the same thing happens.  The bead does not want to seat in the rim hook at the valve hole????

Any ideas?

Next step to run them tubeless as intended, but this was interesting, since you might require to run a tube after a serious puncture.  So the tube/rim/tyre compatibility issue needs to be solved

And its not a case of trying to just push the tube "deeper"?

Just my personal experience with mine.  Have tried adjusting the brakes myself,  took it to LBS to adjust and fitted new brake cables.  The brakes just don't have any bite

I have ordered some Jagwire brake pads and compression-less cable housing which will hopefully help a bit

hi bud

it is the cable housing that you are using... trust me. Change the cable and the housing and be prepared to get thrown forwards if you slam on the front brake.

They are very good. I have the SLC version and I can lock my back wheel up without trying very hard. The feel is also very good.

Your cable housing s compressing and flexing thus making them spongey.

Your bike is epic, it deserves epic brakes.

Make it happen!

And its not a case of trying to just push the tube "deeper"?

Nope, the normal road tube trick did not work :-(

Seems the larger tube is too big for the tyre and the normal road tube too small - if that makes sense?

Edited by Underachiever

hi bud

it is the cable housing that you are using... trust me. Change the cable and the housing and be prepared to get thrown forwards if you slam on the front brake.

They are very good. I have the SLC version and I can lock my back wheel up without trying very hard. The feel is also very good.

Your cable housing s compressing and flexing thus making them spongey.

Your bike is epic, it deserves epic brakes.

Make it happen!

That is good to hear.  Can't wait for the shipment to arrive

Nice wheels LOOK. Where can one get those carbon hoops?

Thanks Armand. Those are chinese rims I bought from yishunbike, hubs are novatec. Had a good ride today over tough terrain. Bike and wheels still going strong

PM me for contact details should you be interested....

Edited by LOOK695

Been riding my Wolverine for around 8 months now. Really enjoy this bike. Today's ride was on some really bad terrain in some sections. I even walked some steep downhill sections ????????. Honestly, it was more mtb terrain. Here some pics

post-26136-0-10429300-1499191349_thumb.jpgpost-26136-0-70009500-1499191360_thumb.jpgpost-26136-0-26263600-1499191372_thumb.jpgpost-26136-0-46490300-1499191384_thumb.jpgpost-26136-0-71620000-1499191396_thumb.jpgpost-26136-0-76840700-1499191411_thumb.jpg

post-26136-0-17922100-1499191422_thumb.jpg

Even had a river crossing. Ok, a small stream but I am a roadie remember ????

post-26136-0-23892600-1499191433_thumb.jpg

post-26136-0-54006800-1499191447_thumb.jpg

post-26136-0-50893700-1499191457_thumb.jpg