Scam Warning - Cape Town

Cookie88

Hi Andrew

Glad you saw through their shenanigans  :thumbup:

Just from our side, did they mention whether they saw your ad on the Hub or even contact you through the site?

Thanks.

Hi Nick,

I just got a call - no mention of which platform so could have been any of the three mentioned in my post.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done Andrew.

I was taken by a similar incident where confirmation of EFT payment was sent by text message to my phone and I then released the bike but the money never was depositied into my account. The text messages are sent from a computer using SMS software.

Fortunately the fraudsters were prosecuted after trying to sell the bike on Gumtree 5months later.

Unfortunately money cleared in the bank is the only proof of payment.

I am so glad that this did not end your bike being stolen. Was dreading it while reading the post! Good work and thanks for the tip.

Ja you can't be too careful with these things and cheques are a thing of the past in this kind of transaction.

Hi Andrew

I received a call on Sat from the same guy, same name cell no as well.

Ask one two questions about the bike and asked if he can send a friend to collect.

Only difference he said he was in vredenburg.

I immediately realised it was scam when he offered to pay such a huge amount without seeing the bike.

Initially I was thinking of sending his friend to a wrong address or police station but then realised why should I waste my time on this scamster.

Just told him cash and never heard from him again

Be weary of this guy.

Just signed up here to post this:

That same Nelson just contacted me by responding to a classified I posted via digicape.co.za, wanting to buy an old iMac I have for sale. He was also immediately interested in it, didn't even ask for the price. It went straight from "Is it available?" to "When will it be ready?".

Thanks to Andrew's post (Google found it based on his email address), I replied to him stating my offer, and that I don't accept cheques, only EFT/direct deposit. The emails stopped about as quickly as they started.

This time, his mobile number was stated as 083 693 7976.

Thank you for taking the time to register and post this wogan! Much appreciated!

Anyone have any cell phone tools we can use to flood a device with free spam from everyone and sundry.

Which are your biggest constant SPAM senders. Can't we all take turns and register this email address and the mobile numbers with people who bombard these contact details with ads?

well done guys. if RICA can't actually be used to trace a criminal by the police, then the next best thing is to use google to point out the bad eggs. post details post details post details. if anything they will just refrain from using online channels. not ideal, but a bit towards levelling the playing field.

Just signed up here to post this:

That same Nelson just contacted me by responding to a classified I posted via digicape.co.za, wanting to buy an old iMac I have for sale. He was also immediately interested in it, didn't even ask for the price. It went straight from "Is it available?" to "When will it be ready?".

Thanks to Andrew's post (Google found it based on his email address), I replied to him stating my offer, and that I don't accept cheques, only EFT/direct deposit. The emails stopped about as quickly as they started.

This time, his mobile number was stated as 083 693 7976.

Hi-Jack on: PM me the details to your iMac please :)  Hi-jack off.

I feel a sense of knop-kierrie justice brewing here. How about someone posts a fake bike for sale, wait for the @-hole to make contact, accept the viewing offer and do the sale. When the little ess aich one tee arrives, then a whole gang of hubbers who have been robbed this last year, who are all waiting in the wings by the way, all get to take a swing at him. He might not pull a stunt like that again. Ever.

Just saying...use it, don't use it... :ph34r:

We should definitely try and put them out of business... Problem is that as soon as they realise they will change the cell numbers and set up a new Gmail account.

Would it be worth sending him the link to this forum?

We should definitely try and put them out of business... Problem is that as soon as they realise they will change the cell numbers and set up a new Gmail account.

Would it be worth sending him the link to this forum?

Don't do enough to take the email down. But certainly slow them down! As seen already if anyone google's the email address they find this link! If they shut that down and start a new one, then the process has to start again and rely on someone posting a similar thread as this with the new contact info.

They will however be getting 3 emails from groupon daily though... Registered the address with groupon...

Hi chaps,

Looks like Nelson is doing his Christmas shopping ;)

I've been contacted by him today regarding a Canon lens that I've advertised at outdoorphoto. Similar story: very keen, no negotiation on price, located in Vredenburg but has a mysterious friend in Camps Bay who can assist with the transaction....

He's using 083 693 7976 and nelsluth@gmail.com as his contacts.

Found this thread by googling his email address, and it verified my initial suspicions that something was very fishy. Thanks for spreading the word!

cheers,

ben