Schwalbe vs. Maxxis vs. Conti

karlvand

So I've been a die hard Schwalbe fan since I started cycling 2 years ago. Running a Nobby Nic Snake Skin up front which I love, it's grippy and aggressive and the side walls seem pretty bullet proof. On the back I run a Racing Ralph EVO Snake Skin which is light, fast rolling, strong and grippy enough. My only problem with the Schwalbe tyres is that the tread doesn't last (especially if riding on tar) and secondly the price.

I'm in the mood for a bit of change so ive bought a Maxxis Ikon to try out on the rear but I'm in a bit of a pickle as to what I should try up front. The riding I do is mainly Cross Country style riding with a bit of aggressive trail riding every now and then.

I want something strong enough to flow through rock gardens without splitting and also something with awesome grip.

Should I stick to the Nobby Nic or is there something else I can try?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance:)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi

I changed from Racing Ralph snake skins to Conti X Cross Protection.

Very happy. Good tread wear and as strong as an ox. No side wall issues as yet and I weight 95kg.

One strange thing is it appears if the side walls leak sealant after a while. It looks strange, but to date no issues other the the strange look. Could be from running to low pressure or something.

Anyhow, on second pair and super happy.

Hope that helps?

Marc

I also run schwalbe and love them but considering keeping them aside for all types of races only and invest in Maxxis ardent race front/back for everyday riding.

My bike came with Ardent 2.25 UST front and rear. Very heavy, tough and a good compromise between rolling and grip but I would prefer something wider with more bite on the front. Have had a few front wheel washouts when leaning it over but maybe just poor technique from me. I had WTB Weirwolf on front of my old bike and preferred it...a lot.

The Ardents are made in a 2.4 version as well but I have not seen these in SA.

Try Ardent Race, I recently put them on my bike front and back. Love them! Grips like hell + fast. Will match the ikon at the back which looks cool

My bike came with the Nobbly Nic,s and up front they still look new after 1000k,s ...the rear not so hot. So im also looking for something to last longer on rear. 

If you running Ikon at the back, go for the Maxxis Ardent up front.

I have done this now, but my word, coming from a Nobby Nic that Ardent weighs a TON!

I have done this now, but my word, coming from a Nobby Nic that Ardent weighs a TON!

Very true, they are quite heavy, durability comes at a price (read weight).

How does the contis wear down compared with Maxxis ? road/off road riding

Conti X king protection has barely worn in front in 3 years .Maxxis will last longer on tar but the x.kings have worn very well .Nobby nic on tar is a bad idea.I am also using a vredenstein black panther in front ,it gives good on and off road performance .Currently have X_king protection rear and the standard non protection in front .I am impressed with the non protection.s performance .If I would put a new set on a new bike that would be .GEAX saguaro rear and X king standard in front Cost R1200 .I weigh a 100kg so tyres work hard

Archived