Where to MTB in the fairest Cape

Karooryder

A quick question (apologies if I'm repeating an exsisting thread). I will be in Cape Town for about a week after new years and for the first time my MTB will be travelling with. Being a Gautie I always hear of all the cool places to ride but never take note.

Having never MTB's in the Cape, I'm looking at hitting as many of the good spots as possible in and around the Cape Peninsula. Which are the ones not to miss?  

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The spruit... :whistling:

okay, okay, calm down...I am only kidding.

Tygerberg Hills: Meerendal, Contermans, Hoogekraal only for non-members at R30,00 per trail per person day permit - and remember..NO rogue riding ( this goes for all who are interested to ride our super trails over the festive season...We have some landowners who frown on that sort of behavior and we would be rather miffed at losing some trails as result of some "ingat" MTB'ers...

Edited by KarlvN

Jonkershoek, even if you leave out all the rest.

Tokai

In both cases it does help knowing where the good singletrack is.

Yep, for Jonkers and Tokia the best thing is getting to know where in these areas the single track that suits your riding is! Best to find a willing local to show you or at least ask some people at the gate which jeep track to follow to get where you want to.

Jonkers has a trail called neverendingstory for obvious reasons when you have done it! I ride this every time I go there!

Check out some maps at the irideafrica.co.za site to get familiar with some paths.

Enjoy the time in the Cape!

where will you be staying?

Heya Hairy. As per my (still very very tenative planning) a night or 2 in Blouberg, Sea Point and Stellies.

Yep, for Jonkers and Tokia the best thing is getting to know where in these areas the single track that suits your riding is! Best to find a willing local to show you or at least ask some people at the gate which jeep track to follow to get where you want to.

Jonkers has a trail called neverendingstory for obvious reasons when you have done it! I ride this every time I go there!

Check out some maps at the irideafrica.co.za site to get familiar with some paths.

Enjoy the time in the Cape!

Thanks so much for this Tubehunter, will do! I love the Cape and can't wait to (in true "surfer style"), pack my bike, my gear and my adrenalin and head into the mountains!

Heya Hairy. As per my (still very very tenative planning) a night or 2 in Blouberg, Sea Point and Stellies.

I might be able to take you on a guided ride to Hoogekraal or Konters for an early morning ride then as I live in the Blouberg area (Sunningdale)....when will you be down?

Doesn't matter where you ride this time of the year in the Cape - the WIND will find you and HURT you!

woes :P

Thats within easy driving distance (30 minutes tops) of all the trails already mentioned.

If you want a very slow guide around Tokai give me a shout, I basically live there.

"Doesn't matter where you ride this time of the year in the Cape - the WIND will find you and HURT you!" - Not in Jonkershoek, which adds to its already substantial appeal...

"Doesn't matter where you ride this time of the year in the Cape - the WIND will find you and HURT you!" - Not in Jonkershoek, which adds to its already substantial appeal...

I think Welvenpas is also still well protected from the wind?

I might be able to take you on a guided ride to Hoogekraal or Konters for an early morning ride then as I live in the Blouberg area (Sunningdale)....when will you be down?

That would be super awesome buddy!!! (On one condition,  I sponsor the coffee / beer afterwards :P). Will be in the Cape from 4 -  9 Jan.