Okay. So who rode on this guys runway?

Meentb

But they are right. There are complete chops out cycling everyday ..... and then they get into their cars after words and drive like complete chops.

Problem is society and not the persons preferred means of transport.

Recon these guys on that aviation forum just like getting together and then getting high.

Correct. I know a few pilots who are plonkers. You just have inconsiderate people everywhere I am afraid.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am all for the right of cyclists to be seen as a legitimate vehicle, with all the attendant rights.

Riding on private property is not one of those rights.

With rights, there are important responsibilities - among them are respect and common decency.

Common sense may be a bridge too far.

Just ask the President what caused the blackouts.  

To deviate from the original topic, I think load shedding (ok, we're not allowed to call it that, the 'previously lit' times ;)) was all in the old Eskom CEO's head, after all, they put a new guy in there, and just like magic, power every day so far... ;)

To deviate from the original topic, I think load shedding (ok, we're not allowed to call it that, the 'previously lit' times ;)) was all in the old Eskom CEO's head, after all, they put a new guy in there, and just like magic, power every day so far... ;)

The new guy has the power.....

People riding on runways have no lights on!!

But seriously now...who the **** wants to ride on a runway?? I highly doubt its a challenging climb or a technical downhill...

probably a short cut to some awesome singletrack.

But some of these aviator okes are really serious people. can't see the light ......side of anything

Dany wrote the following on AvCom. 

They very very brave when in packs. When it is gatherings on weekends they more arrogant. I feel nothing for a cyclist. They do not pay lisence fee ,so they do not belong on roads. End of story. Got more respect for taxis then a person on a bicycle,and all because of their attitude.

But seriously now...who the **** wants to ride on a runway?? I highly doubt its a challenging climb or a technical downhill...

Well I have done a few road races where 10 kilometre of  runways and Taxi-ways were included in the middle of the race. With even the most gentle breeze there is nowhere to hide on a 25 metre wide perfectly flat strip of tar.  It makes for hard riding. (AFB Ltt)

Well I have done a few road races where 10 kilometre of  runways and Taxi-ways were included in the middle of the race. With even the most gentle breeze there is nowhere to hide on a 25 metre wide perfectly flat strip of tar.  It makes for hard riding. (AFB Ltt)

It was probably a grass runway.

Dan and Christo seems like real boxes.

But in the pilots defence on small private runways like that its very dangerous. Iv landed at a runway before at a game lodge called singita near sabi where one the first fly by to check the wind and see if the runway was clear all was good, Then just as we approached the thresh hold two giraffe ran across the runway. Had to do a go around and no harm was done. But it could have been much worse if the timing was against us.

Then just as we approached the thresh hold two giraffe ran across the runway. Had to do a go around and no harm was done. 

Are you sure it was not two large cyclists in some garish garb?

Just thought I'd cut & paste this delightful little bit........The attitude is shocking! Even if you consider it as tongue in cheek.

Here it is:

Re: Idiot cyclists

by Swartbok » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:04 pm

A Ruger 308 and some moving target practice ( with the Ruger on my property or my car on the road) will get my eye infor the winter. I'm still waiting to see a cyclist in a group or alone that would stop at a r light or stop sign. The day I do I'll be prepared to listen to a cyclist's side of the coin.

Also remember that most people in vehicles are driving somewhere for a practical purpose not just to make up some empty time and look cool when they join in the 94,7 or Argus, so the argument of the cyclist taking up less space on the road holds no water unless he can prove to me he cycles ( and not drives) every where to get some practical business done.

I bet the author of this charming segment is fat and overweight and hasn't performed any physical activity since he ran to the toilet after a recent hot curry dish... :whistling:

That thread on avcom highlights the situation cyclists are faced with WHENEVER they break the law...how many of the avcommers dont mention the issue of not stopping at intersections for example

I think in all honesty the biggest problem is the attitude of people, one of the avcommers got it right with this statement

post-182-0-62718700-1418805094_thumb.png

It was probably a grass runway.

Dan and Christo seems like real boxes.

But in the pilots defence on small private runways like that its very dangerous. Iv landed at a runway before at a game lodge called singita near sabi where one the first fly by to check the wind and see if the runway was clear all was good, Then just as we approached the thresh hold two giraffe ran across the runway. Had to do a go around and no harm was done. But it could have been much worse if the timing was against us.

You brought back childhood memories of flying in the Karoo in the 70s and 80s. All landings were preceded with buzzing the runway to chase sheep away first.Thought it was fun then.....not anymore. :D  

You brought back childhood memories of flying in the Karoo in the 70s and 80s. All landings were preceded with buzzing the runway to chase sheep away first.Thought it was fun then.....not anymore. :D  

Iv heard stories (heard, not experienced) of guys doing that in harvards just for the fun of it. O and it wasn't just to chase away sheep. There are 2 certain harvards that are close to me that came back after a flight with scratches under the wings and fuselage, Further investigation proved one of the pilots had a farm and him and a friend decided to chase away(so they say) some people and both guys grazed the top of his fence poles. That is crazy low. Imagine the warnings going off if you did that in a boeing or airbus.

Iv heard stories (heard, not experienced) of guys doing that in harvards just for the fun of it. O and it wasn't just to chase away sheep. There are 2 certain harvards that are close to me that came back after a flight with scratches under the wings and fuselage, Further investigation proved one of the pilots had a farm and him and a friend decided to chase away(so they say) some people and both guys grazed the top of his fence poles. That is crazy low. Imagine the warnings going off if you did that in a boeing or airbus.

That would take some seriously amazing skills to not strike the propeller but still scrape the underneath of the aircraft. Not that I am saying it would be impossible or that there are not pilots crazy enough to do it...

Archived