Goodbye Dstv

corriekuilder

We use  both. Both stable. Ethernet over Power is noticeably faster than wi-fi repeaters though.

We use wi-fi repeaters, with the same SSID as the main router, at the end of the passage to cover cellphones etc in the bedroom areas (backups at night when phones are charging)

All working like a charm :)

Edited by 'Kaze Pete

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I think the time has come to ditch the DSTV (well maybe not all of it).

Vodacom is rolling out fibre in our estate , with the cheapest package being R599/month for 100GB on a 10MBPS line. This seems to be about the best deal that I have seen, as it includes a free wi-fi router and installation. I don't think there are other charges such as line rentals etc.

In your guys experience, is 100GB/month sufficient for some live streaming and downloading movies and series? The 10MBPS line is more than enough AFAIK. Has anybody got experience with Vodacom Fibre?

Vodacom is rolling out fibre in our estate , with the cheapest package being R599/month for 100GB on a 10MBPS line. This seems to be about the best deal that I have seen, as it includes a free wi-fi router and installation. I don't think there are other charges such as line rentals etc.

In your guys experience, is 100GB/month sufficient for some live streaming and downloading movies and series? The 10MBPS line is more than enough AFAIK. Has anybody got experience with Vodacom Fibre?

Seems alright that. I recently "upgraded" to Telkom's 10Mb copper line on a 50+50 double data deal for R699/month.

The Fibre trenches are getting closer to home though.....

We are a tech hungry household and 100Gb got us to payday this month.....

In heavy months, we get through about 200GB, but that's also cos my wife is uploadign large files to her website. 

I've just had a look at our latest consumption figures, and we're through 125GB as of today. That's with streaming several series, sometimes 2 at once. Wife is a nutter for Criminal Minds, I find it repetitive as hell, so I stream what I prefer... :P 

we stream a lot ..and 100meg is enough...but...if you stream on hd or uhd...you gonna go through that chop chop. I stream 360p and 480p which is fine for my 40" TV

Busy watching the tour on itv.. And they had an advert for sky... Free decoder.. Free 32"TV and 20 pounds per month.... crikey you okes are getting ripped by dstv

Edit...ok 32 quid for the basic sports channels included

My brother relocated to the UK in May. He just got that very special and was shocked to learn that he needs to pay extra for the sport channels.

It works about at about R900/month (direct conversation) but there is uncapped data included, so yes... DStv is about double the cost #ripoff

Did a test the other night... Used around 250Mb on a 45 minute episode of Chicago PD streaming in SD (480p if I'm not mistaken?)

So if you stream 2 episodes a night and have time to catch a movie you should be looking at around 35 to 40Gb a month. That leaves you with 60Gb to download/updates/gaming/Youtube etc

For a single household I would say it should be enough as long as you have the option to top up at a reasonable price should you run out.

Did a test the other night... Used around 250Mb on a 45 minute episode of Chicago PD streaming in SD (480p if I'm not mistaken?)

So if you stream 2 episodes a night and have time to catch a movie you should be looking at around 35 to 40Gb a month. That leaves you with 60Gb to download/updates/gaming/Youtube etc

For a single household I would say it should be enough as long as you have the option to top up at a reasonable price should you run out.

Unless you have a big TV and Fibre, then 480p is not great quality.

I stream on Hd and i smash 100gig a month easily. I now have uncapped 25mgb line and am streaming UHD which would essentially be 4 x as much data as HD. 

So its all relative. What I have found while upgrading internet speeds over the years is your consumption increases with speed. Its just too easy to click on HD when it doesn't need to buffer.

Unless you have a big TV and Fibre, then 480p is not great quality.

I stream on Hd and i smash 100gig a month easily. I now have uncapped 25mgb line and am streaming UHD which would essentially be 4 x as much data as HD. 

So its all relative. What I have found while upgrading internet speeds over the years is your consumption increases with speed. Its just too easy to click on HD when it doesn't need to buffer.

Ja, true story. I have a 40" and SD is just fine for me. Wife and Kids are none the wiser either. Don't get me wrong, a movie or event in full HD (Even at 720p) is awesome but I still get to enjoy it in SD. 

Ja, true story. I have a 40" and SD is just fine for me. Wife and Kids are none the wiser either. Don't get me wrong, a movie or event in full HD (Even at 720p) is awesome but I still get to enjoy it in SD. 

Yep, my wife doesn't have a clue. I am the problem in my house.

I'm on a 8mb line with 100GB data capped from Axxess, I stream or download everything, watched every day of the Tour de France as well as F1 and all the rugby as well as Netflix on Apple TV and only managed to hit 70GB when checked yesterday. I get uncapped between 12am-6am, which means I schedule my downloads for then. 

so my Amazon Fire Stick Arrived on Friday - here's my little review

Plugged it in - found my wifi and added the password. It was already configured to the account that I used to purchase it. Installed plex and connected to my plex server fine, but could not find BBC iplayer, ITV hub etc (geographical restrictions of course). After hours and hours of trying different options eventually had to set my country to uk, change my delivery and billing address and delete my SA credit card (the main culprit). Once the apps were installed,  I could then go back and put my credit card back in. Bit of a schlep, but once off its ok.

The thing works fast and streams well. I have all the apps i need Plex, BBC, ITV, channel 4, Redbull, Netflix...and...i found an awesome app called TV Player (https://tvplayer.com/) which gives you access to live TV from all the major UK channels as well as an additional 20 channels if you pay 5 pounds  - of which Eurosport 1 and 2 are included.

Thinking about getting a prime subscription also because it makes accessing that content so easy through their interface.

tried to sideload a few apk's:

Tenplay - didn't scale properly - not really useable

FilmonTV - works well, but i had to download an app for an onscreen mouse for 2 pounds

I haven't tried to sideload kodi - but i know it works based upon youtube videos.

sideloading was a piece of cake

you can also mirror your phone and cast..although I have not got casting working yet - think i need to install an app

If you want a device that is cheap (R700) with a useable remote that has all the content you need - then i reckon it well worth the purchase.

oh - one more thing..my tv's usb did not provide enough power to run it properly so I had to power it from a plug point instead.

Amazon Fire stick update 2

just installed kodi and exodus addon....kids are busy watching Pretty little liars as we speak

works seamlessly with the supplied remote

this little device kicks ass!

I added an android media player that I had lying in the office to my setup. Netflix, Hulu and iplayer still through roku because its so much easier. Android for Kodi which works quite nicely.

Added bonus to the android is the dstv now app which I use for streaming sport etc.

now that I have exodus setup on kodi...whats the sporting equivalent?

realise i could go DSTV Now and use my b -in laws account...but that feels like cheating