Goodbye Dstv

corriekuilder

Haven't managed to read through all the pages but want some advice on what I am thinking of.

We pay for DSTV premium, R800 a month. We watch the following:

* Probably about 2 hours a day during the week. Generally Mnet 101..americas got talent...those sort of talent shows :blush: . We watch no series at all. Just don't get into them. Some discovery. We got to bed fairly early, around 09:30 (new born in the house). After kids are bathed and sleeping and dinner is done we sit down about 20:00-21:00 watching Tely but really chat in-between, get up to see to the kids if they crying...etc. Our 2 year old likes Cbeebies but watches for a bit and then off to play with her toys.

* Weekends - Saturday sport if there is something I fancy like the championship rugby now but that really it. Don't watch soccer and watch some UCI stuff when its on. Sundays we watch cart blanche and the Sunday movie. A few things here and there on the weekends. 

I am now tossing with the idea of getting Rid of TV altogether and saving the R800 but not sure if I would manage to do that. We tried once for a week but failed and put the TV on but it was really more for the background noise that was missing although we had the radio/music on but felt a bit odd.

Who has got rid of TV altogether and what is your experience? just don't know what to do on this one as its a waste of money for what we watch but also a little vice as a go to "cheap" form of entertainment.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got UKTVNow loaded and working last night just to see what it was like. At least their EPG works. Did however find it a bit awkward working outside of Kodi as everything that we watch (with the exception or RedBullTV) is accessible within Kodi

There is a UKTV Again addon which works in kodi (same thing) and is linked to the ivue tvguide.

Also a new one, well a new updated addon with supposedly over 250 channel (I did a quick test this afternoon, seems good). Addon called Project Cypher

• 1 month later...

so apparently in order to get cheaper DSTV here people need to Vote with their Wallets.

http://www.channel24.co.za/TV/News/dstv-weve-got-some-good-news-and-some-bad-news-20161019

Read that.

they obvioulsy seem to think losing 2% of their South African subscribers in can easily be made up by reduced costs in the rest of africa?

all it boils down to, is that the South African subscribers are subsidising the rest of africa subscribers.

Glad I switched mine off.

Will consider switching on again once they offer pay per channel.

Edited by RocknRolla

Who has got rid of TV altogether and what is your experience? just don't know what to do on this one as its a waste of money for what we watch but also a little vice as a go to "cheap" form of entertainment.

DsTV for that little viewing is a waste of money

a $5 getflix subscription with streaming BBC iplayer for free will give your child cbeebies and enough interesting content for you and your wife

DsTV for that little viewing is a waste of money

a $5 getflix subscription with streaming BBC iplayer for free will give your child cbeebies and enough interesting content for you and your wife

Thanks. I am not really in touch with the tech world so what do I need to get this BBC iplayer and Netflix? We don't have any ADSL lines or anything, just a simple wifi modem that we use a USB through. Can I watch via the Tely or does it have to be a PC screen?

Thanks. I am not really in touch with the tech world so what do I need to get this BBC iplayer and Netflix? We don't have any ADSL lines or anything, just a simple wifi modem that we use a USB through. Can I watch via the Tely or does it have to be a PC screen?

ok i simplified it slightly:

1. you need a desktop media player that connects to your telly through hdmi and that is capable of loading the BBC iplayer (i.e. and android based device). These range from 700 and up

2. Monthly getflix subscription of 5$ to enable you to pretend you are in the UK

3. Internet Connectivity (minimum 4Mbps) and a min of 50 - 100Gb of data a month

add to that you can also get ITV, channel 4 etc  - so you can watch pretty much all TV from the Uk

Still waaaay cheaper than DSTV

Hi Alan

Most of the info is here

I'm assuming your modem is a cellphone type modem? if so.. your data fee's will be extreme

Hi Alan

Most of the info is here

I'm assuming your modem is a cellphone type modem? if so.. your data fee's will be extreme

It's a proper modem that can take an ADLS line and have PC's connected to it but yes, we use a cellphone dongle with data to connect to but just our phones. So, I would need an adsl line with min 4mbps and loads of data then as Stretch mentioned?

It's a proper modem that can take an ADLS line and have PC's connected to it but yes, we use a cellphone dongle with data to connect to but just our phones. So, I would need an adsl line with min 4mbps and loads of data then as Stretch mentioned?

afrihost at the moment you can get 50Gb + 50Gb for R99 which is more than enough for your needs

a 4Mb ADSL line is about R250 bucks a month

but if you dont have a telephone line then you would have to get that too (about R250/month) plus a R700 odd deposit for new telkom client

afrihost at the moment you can get 50Gb + 50Gb for R99 which is more than enough for your needs

a 4Mb ADSL line is about R250 bucks a month

but if you dont have a telephone line then you would have to get that too (about R250/month) plus a R700 odd deposit for new telkom client

So, R99 for data, 4mb ADSL for R250, then another R250 for a telephone line. Then 5$ monthly subscription, about R70 which is then R669 a month where dstv is R800 a month, R131 saving doesn't seem a lot or am I missing something here?  Plus a once off R700 for the deposit and anther R700 for that BBC thing, R1400 outlay :(

So, R99 for data, 4mb ADSL for R250, then another R250 for a telephone line. Then 5$ monthly subscription, about R70 which is then R669 a month where dstv is R800 a month, R131 saving doesn't seem a lot or am I missing something here?  Plus a once off R700 for the deposit and anther R700 for that BBC thing, R1400 outlay :(

The assumption is that you'd already have an ADSL line & telephone subs. 

Also - you'll have far cheaper interwebs per GB than you currently have. 

You are already paying for you data usage, so can discount that from your calcs as you use internet at home.

Of the R800 for DSTV how many channels do you actually watch and do you watch just because it is what is on as there is no real choice.

With internet tv you can watch what you want when you want and are not limited.... what price can be put on that... is up to the individual :)

I had a landline, a cheap 1Mb line and DSTV. I disconnected my DSTV a few years ago. With that money, I upgraded my ADSL line and bought more internet.

I haven't looked back. My landline rental (with the free weekend and afterhours option), 10Mbs ADSL line and a 100Gb Soft Cap (All with Telkom) runs me R720 a month. I usually buy another 100Gb depending on the usage for an additional R269. 

I bought an Android TV box (About R700 once off) and loaded Kodi, RedbullTV and UKTVNow. With those systems running, there is virtually nothing that you can't watch (local derby sports like Currie Cup are not available from what I have been able to find anyway)

So for under R1k/month I get to watch what I want, when I want. The choices are endless.

I will never go back.

You are already paying for you data usage, so can discount that from your calcs as you use internet at home.

Of the R800 for DSTV how many channels do you actually watch and do you watch just because it is what is on as there is no real choice.

With internet tv you can watch what you want when you want and are not limited.... what price can be put on that... is up to the individual :)

Ja, hear what you saying. We only watch what is on of course as that is what is on  and those are the choices you have. Freedom to watch what you want is pretty cool I must say :clap: