Goodbye Dstv

corriekuilder

Is Unotelly working properly with netflix to pick up the US feed? I tried it before netflix "shut it down" then after that announcement I battled to connect.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It might be time. I don't watch the Barclays Premier League so not that thrilled to be funding the R6 billion rand expense so I can watch some rugby and cricket when you can get the soccer channels cheap cheap on DSTV Compact.

Is Unotelly working properly with netflix to pick up the US feed? I tried it before netflix "shut it down" then after that announcement I battled to connect.

No issues with Netflix since the announcement.Struggling with Hulu though,I have to update my IP every 2nd day or so

yeah, there were problems just after the announcement, due to the SEACOM and other cables having a drastic failure. Took about 3 or 4 days to work properly again. Since then, no problem at all... 

so who has got sports streaming working on the roku? I watch ITV through Filmon TV but that requires me connecting my Laptop to my TV or watching on the desktop which is not ideal. I did a brief search for a browser app recently...maybe i need to revisit that

Did you find anything, i initially used the roku as a wireless projetor/display connected through my laptop which is then basically the same as plugging it in as a second monitor. It also does the sound form what i could remember. the only issues i had was since i upgraded to win 10 on my laptop it does not connect any more.

Did you find anything, i initially used the roku as a wireless projetor/display connected through my laptop which is then basically the same as plugging it in as a second monitor. It also does the sound form what i could remember. the only issues i had was since i upgraded to win 10 on my laptop it does not connect any more.

no...but I didnt look very hard either

I disconnected some time ago and got a VERY strange call from someone purporting to be speaking on behalf of DSTV. Asked me if I had disconnected and whether I was planning on reconnecting. In the middle of her question, muttered "calls are recorded". When I replied by saying that I wasn't planning on joining DSTV, said "Thanks for you time" and unceremoniously cut the call.

Anybody else had a similar call?

I find it amazing that they over pay for content and piss money against the wall on almost every sporting event they cover and then put out this PR about how much they spend on content. R6 billion on the EPL? Who else was bidding?

for those of us still with the ol delta 9000...got this today

Digital migration and what this means for you as an M-Net terrestrial customer

Television in South Africa will be taking a major step forward by moving from analogue to digital transmission. The Minister of Communications made it official on 1 February, which means South Africa we'll be joining the rest of the world in going digital.

Today we announced the launch of our new digital television service, GOtv. The benefits of going digital include more channels, a crystal clear picture and great sound quality.

As an M-Net terrestrial customer, you'll need to switch over to a digital television service at some stage. You don't have to do anything right now as currently both analogue and digital signals are running at the same time.

You'll keep getting your M-Net terrestrial service until this signal gets switched off. Closer to the cut-off time, we'll be in touch to guide you on what you need to do and how you need to do it. We only expect the switch off to be a year or more from now.

If you want to know a bit more about digital migration and digital television, please go to mnetcorporate.co.za or DStv.com or email us terrestrial@mnet.co.za

Thank you for your loyal support over the years - we look forward to bringing you the best in local and international entertainment.

Yolisa Phahle
CEO: M-Net

I disconnected some time ago and got a VERY strange call from someone purporting to be speaking on behalf of DSTV. Asked me if I had disconnected and whether I was planning on reconnecting. In the middle of her question, muttered "calls are recorded". When I replied by saying that I wasn't planning on joining DSTV, said "Thanks for you time" and unceremoniously cut the call.

Anybody else had a similar call?

Yup... Got the same call with the same attitude.

Finally severed the dstv umbilical. Very happy about it. Uncapped & Netflix is the way to go.

Happy with my unccapped /netflix setup with apple TV

Edited by NISI

Happy with my unccapped /netflix setup with apple TV

Very. I do not watch a lot of tv (about an hour a night). Did not bother with the US Netflix setup as the SA store has more than enough content to satisfy my 1hr need. I have a 8mbps line and do not get any buffering when watching full HD with 5.1 sound.

Not using the appletv app anymore though. I have a LG smarttv with the smarttv app. Lets me browse on my ipad Netflix app and then directly stream to the tv if connected to the same wireless network.

Used the appletv app before they launched the smarttv app. The interface is much slicker. I just prefer the browsing on ipad/streaming to tv feature of the LG app more. The LG tv app has a very 90's feel to it.

Enjoy the radio feature on the appletv. Lots more options than the DMX dstv thingy. Pity they made the iRadio option a paid service. On the US itunes account it's $9.99pm. Do believe that it is R60pm if on the SA store. 

Was in Spain for business last week. Managed to watch Netflix on the ipad whilst I was there since Spanish telly is very Spanish. They had more content than the SA Netflix. Was not aware that you can "roam" with your Netflix account which is pretty cool. Will be interesting to see what the DRC has to offer next week... Not holding my breath though...

• 2 weeks later...

Finally severed the dstv umbilical. Very happy about it. Uncapped & Netflix is the way to go.

I'm very dissapointed with Netflix SA though... Is showmax any better ? 

I use this every single day. The best one is @classicalradio_ on @TuneIn. http://tun.in/sflUT - nonstop classical with no talking...

Yeah I use Tune In also... very handy site

Edited by PietSw