Different distances with Garmin versus Strava

grego12

So, I've now done some scientific experimentation and need some input.  I ride with a Garmin Edge 810. I upload the data into strava.  Now, when I load the data into Garmin connect, it shows the ride distance as 83.12Km.  On Strava, the exact same ride load from the same Garmin 810 shows 81.2km.  All other ride data is the same - elevation, time. How is this possible that the same dataset from can give different results for distance?

I know Strava's app overestimates distance versus the Garmin, but here Strava is making the Garmin distance shorter!

pics attached.

post-26786-0-35634700-1420978681_thumb.png

post-26786-0-85581400-1420978684_thumb.png

I upload directly from edge 810 via Bluetooth to android phone with garmin connect. Garmin connect linked to strava. All stats are identical.

In that case check how often your garmin records... Set it to the most possible 0.5 or 1 seconds. If it's only every 5 or 60 etc it makes it very inaccurate, especially on a mtb with turns and twists.

He's only recording on a single device, and 2 different apps are interpreting the data differently - changing data capture settings is not going to fix this

Very interesting....I have just got a garmin watch for running and the distances are identical in connect and strava...but then running has opportunity for more gps points along a route than cycling

Side note:

Notice how different the energy used is as well. I see this when copying across from Strava to Endomondo or the other way.

Edit: looks like that's a Strava issue with kJ almost equal to calories, which it's not.

Edited by paul_ct

In that case check how often your garmin records... Set it to the most possible 0.5 or 1 seconds. If it's only every 5 or 60 etc it makes it very inaccurate, especially on a mtb with turns and twists.

Robojedi, the recording interval is set to 1 second which is the lowest it can go.

last thing I can think ( and this happened to me ) my garmin was set to auto correct elevation on the Garmin connect site , it used my build in barometer to determine the alt or something along those lines. each time I uploaded it changed the altitude of the ride, thereby changing the distance by around 1 to 2 km on a 50 km  ride.

check on the connect site if alt correction is on....

We were doing a ride in Sabie recently and also the Garmin vs Strava phone apps were recording the same distances between riders, the elevation was FAR higher on the phone app than that from the Garmin units... Something like 2,800m vs 3,500m

Just tested another ride with a Garmin 910xt....its distance matches 100% with Strava.   The issue seems specific to the 810...or perhaps my 810 has a problem.