Cycling On Antibiotics

Rest is part of training as well,take your time to get back on the bike.Take a long term view and not short term!

Strongs with the recovery

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all!

Thanks so much for all your input. I definitely think I'm going to rest up this week. Especially as I am feeling utter atrocious this morning and can't see myself being in any state to ride this weekend. 

Do think it will be good to may take a week off bike anyway. 

Thanks!

Just ring up the doc. Get hold of V12man. He will give you an informed opinion

I don't believe you are in any danger, however just PM me the details of the AB you have been prescribed - just want to check it is not a quinolone derivative or something odd (in which case please avoid heavy training)

My father is a maxilo-facial surgeon now semi retired - his advice will be to rinse your mouth with salt water every 2 hours as well - this will help keep any infection away - and for some reason seems to help with the pain.

I remember having mine out when I was in the SAMS... not much fun....

I rode 94.7 on Anti-Biotics. (was on Day 5 of 7)

From A Bee Sting that got infected the weekend before the race.

I suffered from Higher than usual Heart Rate from the Start PEN.

I played it by ear and see how it went and how far I could push...

I was nowhere near my Best and just kept my heart rate below Zone 5 the entire Race.

Also, I think bc I rode with Anti-Biotics, I went through a patch of fitness decrease in the weeks after. Felt terrible on the bike.

I just felt something wasn't right esp with my heart rate.

That's just my experience...

I suggest REST mate...

Like V12man said.  :thumbup:

It helps if you say what Antibiotic it is. 

Just saying antibiotic is like saying car or bicycle or "alcoholic beverage" 

Quinolone derivatives (Avalon/Factive) no training advised.  (unlikely to be prescribed)

Augmentin/Flagyl/Dalacin C (most used in dental procedures) unlikely to be a problem. 

They AB I was given is called Zoxil 500. After reading the little pamphlet with it, it seems that it contains Amoxycillin. Anyone know much about this?

Fairly standard.

It is one of the safer more commonly used 1st line antibiotic.  

Augmentin without the Clavulanic acid part. 

Difficult to say as history of your "tooth indecent" it not known. 

If you don't feel sick  or was sick and feverish before the procedure you should be OK. 

Diarrhea is most common side affect.... watch for dehydration!

But the antibiotic (Amoxycillin) itself is not a source of to much concern. 

More so the presence of infection or not. 

Was the antibiotic given because of existing infection or to prevent infection after extraction . .

Was given to prevent infection. I haven't actually be sick in about 2 years. Pride myself on being healthy, so the mere fact I am on antibiotics is rather distressing for me. 

They AB I was given is called Zoxil 500. After reading the little pamphlet with it, it seems that it contains Amoxycillin. Anyone know much about this?

Should be fine - carry on.

Should be fine - carry on.

Haha. Thanks a lot. I really appreciate it. Will probably wait until next weekend Monday before I ride again, but will assess it all as I go. 

Was given to prevent infection. I haven't actually be sick in about 2 years. Pride myself on being healthy, so the mere fact I am on antibiotics is rather distressing for me. 

Follow your doctors orders... you don't want an infection in your jaw....

(of course just because you are taking an ab does not mean you won't get one, but the risk is considerably lower)

And if you are concerned - go and buy some pro-biotics and take them too - won't hurt. :) but it will reduce any upset stomach you might have as a result of the ab

cheque is in the mail :whistling:

Just fax it to me.... I left my phone at home, need to see you you are doing too.

I would caution against riding - finish the course and get back on track as soon as you are done! Albeit with some added gees  :thumbup:

Archived