Article: Albe Geldenhuys of USN

Squier

All his stock pulled from the shelves, but why would any chemist in south africa do that when USN products bring in big money! Shops like dischem are just as guilty! Check this one .....oxygenated water!!!

Oxygenated H2O?? I thought this must have been photoshopped, because surely even the most ridiculous pitch could not get this product past the first level of bullsh1t detectors at USN HQ?

but no, it's a real thing! thank you to the internet wayback machine, we can wind the clock back to 2009 where this was an actual product!

And i quote, from a highly reputable source (USN.co.za)

http://web.archive.org/web/20090526090614/http://www.usn.co.za/products_drinks_h20.htm

Oxygen enriched water http://web.archive.org/web/20090526090614/http://www.usn.co.za/images/advice_greytright.gif                      

The element OXYGEN is the most fundamentally important ingredient for human life on planet earth. The level of oxygen in our atmosphere has gradually decreased over time. Oxygen is necessary for cellular metabolism, muscle contraction, brain functioning, detoxification, immune system boosting, physical strength, endurance, athletic performance and a multitude of other functions in the human body.

Prolonged exercise depends on an oxygen dependent system to produce ATP (a high-energy phosphate molecule) to act as a fuel for the activity. This oxidative energy system allows Pyruvate, a molecule produced by glycolysis to cycle through the Kreb's cycle and the electron transport chain. In the electron transport chain, energy electrons are dislodged from hydrogen and accepted by oxygen and this process allows ATP to be produced. If oxygen is not readily available during metabolism, these processes cannot occur effectively.

Atmospheric oxygen (a gas) is typically delivered to the body via the lungs. Oxygen enriched water is not a gas, it is an aqueous solution and this solution is absorbed into the bloodstream via gastro-intestinal tract, crossing the gastric membrane (stomach lining). The oxygen enriched water is absorbed and crosses the membrane into the blood stream. Oxygen is then absorbed from the bloodstream by the red blood cells. The red blood cells contain oxygen-binding molecules, called hemoglobin, which binds oxygen and is also able to dramatically increase the oxygen-carrying capacity of blood. Oxygen is also dissolved directly into the blood without being bound to hemoglobin.

Research done in 1967 revealed that oxygen rich water decrease nitrates, increased oxygen levels and enhanced the body's ability to remove toxins. Further studies also showed that oral oxygen is absorbed by diffusion and osmosis through the cells lining the intestinal tract.

Oxygen enriched water is a unique South African bottled water product. Oxygen enrichment of the body promotes general health, well-being and physical performance. Oxygen enriched water is bottled in a specialized process where natural spring water is purified through a reverse osmosis process and then enriched with medical grade oxygen under pressure.

Sourced and Bottled in the Franschhoek Valley

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't use USN for no scientific reasoning or specific reason I just don't use it, just as I don't use many other products.

I hear both sides of the argument and I have my opinion,,no one cares less, my point of this post is I would hate to be the hubsa (MATT) trying to generate income stream from any aspect involved in cycling with all the PROs here who know everything and slate everything

USN if it works or not thousands of sportsman swear by it, and USN sponsor many events and IMHO are clearly one of the strongest brand names around

This is just another thread ripping apart another sector of the sport, AGAIN WHAT I THINK ABOUT USN is totally irrelevant

This is just another thread ripping apart another sector of the sport,

Dips, so if I follow your reasoning - if a company sponsor many events and lots of people swear by their products  we should take everything they say at face value and not ask tough questions about the claims they make on their products?

Dips, so if I follow your reasoning - if a company sponsor many events and lots of people swear by their products  we should take everything they say at face value and not ask tough questions about the claims they make on their products?

successful marketing of the kool-aid, yes? it sounds abit like convincing everyone to like Lance just because he won, DESPITE knowing he cheated.

successful marketing of the kool-aid, yes?

Not at all what I am saying is imagine trying to get companies on board to get strong sponsorship here on the hub, can anyone think of one product that hasn't been ripped apart???

I'm all for asking questions and debating, can any of you think of any product ,company that hasn't been shot down KICKED,FLOGGED TO DEATH THEN FLOGGED SOME MORE around here

My point is not a USN issue

The fact does stand that thousands of sportsman use the product and they would put theirs lives on the fact that it works, yet again the hub has spoken and it is now "FACT"

but Dips, why generalise when the topic is clearly focussed on the brand in question? You getting lost in your own quagmire.

I don't think I am, I am stating what I see here,

a few HUBBERS don't agree or approve of the product now it's fact

HANG EM UP AND BRING OUT THE PITCHFORKS

Not at all what I am saying is imagine trying to get companies on board to get strong sponsorship here on the hub, can anyone think of one product that hasn't been ripped apart???I'm all for asking questions and debating, can any of you think of any product ,company that hasn't been shot down KICKED,FLOGGED TO DEATH THEN FLOGGED SOME MORE around hereMy point is not a USN issueThe fact does stand that thousands of sportsman use the product and they would put theirs lives on the fact that it works, yet again the hub has spoken and it is now "FACT"

Dips, I sort of guess what you are saying, but if USN came back, proved their facts in an independent testing environment, it would be the biggest marketing coup of all time. Asking questions is important - I love the USN vanilla protein shake I have, cos it dissolves properly, tastes great, and I swear it helps me. But as I said on another thread, it may be a placebo effect. And I am more likely to buy it again if I know a company doesn't sell oxygenated dehydrogen oxide, or try to convince me that their CalMag is better than anyone else's because of it's source, when we all know both Calcium and Magnesium were created in a supernova somewhere in the Crab Nebula.

I don't use USN for no scientific reasoning or specific reason I just don't use it, just as I don't use many other products.

I hear both sides of the argument and I have my opinion,,no one cares less, my point of this post is I would hate to be the hubsa (MATT) trying to generate income stream from any aspect involved in cycling with all the PROs here who know everything and slate everything

USN if it works or not thousands of sportsman swear by it, and USN sponsor many events and IMHO are clearly one of the strongest brand names around

This is just another thread ripping apart another sector of the sport, AGAIN WHAT I THINK ABOUT USN is totally irrelevant

I have no horse in this race, but you are correct.

That piece in black, yes it can't ring more true and after the "cracked frame" drama last week it dealt even a greater blow to his chances of getting brands and suppliers on board.

And oh man alive, how glad am I that I did not partake in that thread, not even one comment.

Dips, I sort of guess what you are saying, but if USN came back, proved their facts in an independent testing environment, it would be the biggest marketing coup of all time. Asking questions is important - I love the USN vanilla protein shake I have, cos it dissolves properly, tastes great, and I swear it helps me. But as I said on another thread, it may be a placebo effect. And I am more likely to buy it again if I know a company doesn't sell oxygenated dehydrogen oxide, or try to convince me that their CalMag is better than anyone else's because of it's source, when we all know both Calcium and Magnesium were created in a supernova somewhere in the Crab Nebula.

Agreed, I have not followed the whole drama around what has and hasn't been tested, I have never claimed it works or doesn't work I too am more skeptical when absurd products that clearly are bull are released, but that's not my point

but I'll rather stop generalizing there;)

End of the day prove me wrong that the hub won't slate any product into the ground

Agreed, I have not followed the whole drama around what has and hasn't been tested, I have never claimed it works or doesn't work I too am more skeptical when absurd products that clearly are bull are released, but that's not my pointbut I'll rather stop generalizing there;)End of the day prove me wrong that the hub won't slate any product into the ground

I would so love to disagree with you, but I really can't. If there were only mature, rational criticism on here, I'd disagree. But...

I would so love to disagree with you, but I really can't. If there were only mature, rational criticism on here, I'd disagree. But...

Again I don't say blindly follow, but vaaaaark it's getting OLD

Again I don't say blindly follow, but vaaaaark it's getting OLD

You are sounding rational and reasonable... Eish, is that four sets of hooves? :) Sorry, HOOVES!

I have no horse in this race, but you are correct.

That piece in black, yes it can't ring more true and after the "cracked frame" drama last week it dealt even a greater blow to his chances of getting brands and suppliers on board.

And oh man alive, how glad am I that I did not partake in that thread, not even one comment.

I noticed that! I was wondering why. I am sure you had an opinion either way. Did you just sense the s..tstorm coming?

Not sure why USN is getting hammered here. I'm old enough to remember paying a fortune for imported products like EAS then USN started offering similar products at much lower prices. Pretty much the same as we have now if you compare Vooma with imported gels. Roughly half the price and same benefit as far as I am concerned. If the sages here want a debate as to the benefits (or not) of supplements then do some research. Theres loads of it published.

Archived