Getting stickers off rims HELP!!l

Brickleberry

And the Big C... it's a known carcinogen - so only use with gloves, prefferably a proper organic fumes mask and out of doors.

That's just great

I've been using benzine for years, no gloves, indoors......never gave it a thought.

Time to change my ways, that's for sure.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to google there are two ways of spelling it.

Benzene is the carcinogenic one.

Benzine is not.

Now to figure out which one we are talking about. I certainly hope mine is benzine.

Benzine is not.

Now to figure out which one we are talking about. I certainly hope mine is benzine.

Damn...............now I have to dig in the stinking bin for my Benzine!

Benzine that you buy in the supermarket is also called white spirit in some markets. It is a petroleum distillate and contains only a very small amount of benzEne.

It will not damage anodizing on rims or epoxy paints commonly used on bikes.

It is highly flammable so I prefer paraffin. You can also get a tar remover used for cleaning bitumen off car bumpers and the like. Get it in car spares places. Safer than benzine and stronger solvent properties than paraffin.

And the Big C... it's a known carcinogen - so only use with gloves, prefferably a proper organic fumes mask and out of doors.

AND AWAY FROM KIDS...... pretty please...

so just asking for a "friend" of mine .... how bad is acetone?

Acetone will remove sticker residues better than anything else ...but it will do a whole lot more besides -

It will dessicate the skin it comes into contact with...the damaged layer will dry out and peel off in a few days.

It will also damage most types of paintwork and likely also the rubber in your tyres.

Also extremely flammable.

It's not carcinogenic but best avoided nonetheless.

Acetone will remove sticker residues better than anything else ...but it will do a whole lot more besides -

It will dessicate the skin it comes into contact with...the damaged layer will dry out and peel off in a few days.

It will also damage most types of paintwork and likely also the rubber in your tyres.

Also extremely flammable.

Best avoided.

I will tell my "friend' ... I have seen him using it to clean disc rotors!

I will tell my "friend' ... I have seen him using it to clean disc rotors!

It works brilliantly for cleaning rotors. I would recommend it for that but remove them from the hubs first.

Acetone is also water soluble so once you have cleaned rotors with it, rinse them off, dry them and back on the bike.

I use White Lightning (Lube) and it works a bomb to remove any stickers. Just wet it properly and wait a few minutes

Try Zippo fluid.... Used it to remove stickers off of my frame and helmet.... Didnt do any damage to the paint or clear coats.... Just keep it very far away from rubber....it will damage your tyres

Turps turps turps!!!

Use this everytime and it takes the gummy stuff off easily! No more elbow grease !!  :thumbup:

Try Zippo fluid.... Used it to remove stickers off of my frame and helmet.... Didnt do any damage to the paint or clear coats.... Just keep it very far away from rubber....it will damage your tyres

Zippo fluid = benzine more or less......processed a bit to reduce odours and soot formation.

Benzine is not.

Anything with a Benzine ring is to be avoided.... trust me - the one you want to avoid is sold otc in this country as a solvent/dry cleaning solvent - a clear white fluid - you will of course notice that dry cleaners don't use it anymore... worldwide... and it is banned in the EU completely.

Just use a proper mask mask and gloves to be safe.

In some countries Benzine is the name used for gasoline... not the same stuff - I suspect that is the confusing thing from google - there are references with both spellings as a carcinogen.

Not good for your skin at all... but it depends on the composition of the acetone - there are a couple apparently - some worse than others.

If anybody wants to check something, find the latest copy of

Sittig's Handbook of Toxic and Hazardous Chemicals and Carcinogens

And scratch through that.... probably 5000 pages of stuff you don't want hanging around... I don't own a copy... but you can probably find it in a good medical library.

And if anyone finds in in an ebook - please send me a copy - I would love to have one as a handy searchable reference.

Archived