Getting stickers off rims HELP!!l

Brickleberry

Anything with a Benzine ring is to be avoided.... trust me - the one you want to avoid is sold otc in this country as a solvent/dry cleaning solvent - a clear white fluid - you will of course notice that dry cleaners don't use it anymore... worldwide... and it is banned in the EU completely.

Just use a proper mask mask and gloves to be safe.

In some countries Benzine is the name used for gasoline... not the same stuff - I suspect that is the confusing thing from google - there are references with both spellings as a carcinogen.

I can't sniff toluene anymore? :whistling:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paint Stripper............

NO DONT!!!!!!!!!

Or oven cleaner, especially if they anodized

NO DONT!!!!!!!!!

If anybody wants to check something, find the latest copy of

Sittig's Handbook of Toxic and Hazardous Chemicals and Carcinogens

And scratch through that.... probably 5000 pages of stuff you don't want hanging around... I don't own a copy... but you can probably find it in a good medical library.

And if anyone finds in in an ebook - please send me a copy - I would love to have one as a handy searchable reference.

? http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/book/9781437778694 ?

Zippo fluid = benzine more or less......processed a bit to reduce odours and soot formation.

Doesnt seem as strong as pure benzine though....which is why i prefer it... takes a bit longer but worth it in the end

let the wheels stand for a while in the sun / or use a hair dryer to heat it up.

did not read all the replies - so not sure if this was mentioned already

worked 100% for me :thumbup:

Mineral tuprs..... they are available on the shelf at a Spar even.... cheap and will save you all the troubles!

Anything with a Benzine ring is to be avoided.... trust me - the one you want to avoid is sold otc in this country as a solvent/dry cleaning solvent - a clear white fluid - you will of course notice that dry cleaners don't use it anymore... worldwide... and it is banned in the EU completely.

Just use a proper mask mask and gloves to be safe.

In some countries Benzine is the name used for gasoline... not the same stuff - I suspect that is the confusing thing from google - there are references with both spellings as a carcinogen.

V12man, some chemistry revision required.

Benzene (spelt with an 'e' after the 'z') is the carcinogenic cyclic aromatic hydrocarbon. It is bad news. It can be purchased if you know where to go but is not widely available in retail stores.

Commercial white-spirit labelled as Benzine ('i' after 'z') is a petroleum distillate made from crude oil and it contains mostly alkanes which are straight chain hydrocarbons of a somewhat similar nature to the base components of petrol. It can contain a very small amount of benzene and other unpleasant impurities. It is not even vaguely as carcinogenic as benzene but I'm not going to pretend it is safe as houses either.

Google says benzine (petroleum ether) is the main ingredient in some label removers - so there we go.

I am more scared of its flammability than carcinogenicity so I don't use it when something less flammable will do although I have been using it for decades in high altitude camping stoves....nothing better when it is really cold.

I agree with the above.

I was warned about the dangers of laboratory Benzene which I was using to clean camera equipment but that Benzine you can buy at checkers is not even close to being as carcinogenic, they smell quite different as well. If I remember correctly the compounds in benzene form formaldehyde in your lungs or liver which is very toxic. They did say you need to inhale a fair amount even of the Benzene variety for it to become dangerous, important to use protective wear especially if you work with it daily or in large amounts.

• 2 weeks later...

So tried all options posted here and nothing has worked. The stickers are so weak that they break off when trying to peel them even very gently. Most I can get in 1 go is a few mm. Even after hearing with hair dryer. Any ideas on something more powerful?

So tried all options posted here and nothing has worked. The stickers are so weak that they break off when trying to peel them even very gently. Most I can get in 1 go is a few mm. Even after hearing with hair dryer. Any ideas on something more powerful?

Pvc cleaner? Dont know what would happen to the paint though

I wont even ask about MEK which is very good at removing almost anything

MEK is just Acetone with an added methyl group. Acetone  = Propanone and MEK  = Butanone Both are ketones.

Archived