loadshedding

Matchstix

that sounds like something like 500W of power? (150W for each PC power supply and monitor, plus another 150W for the NAS - I'm guessing here). Guessing again, a 3A to 5A  current. 

Working conservatively, what you're looking for is 5A x 5h = 25Ah of battery to run this. This is too much for one of those little UPS units - they are typically 7Ah to 10Ah batteries. Also they're typically not designed for cycling duty so after a few months they are fried. so R1,000 (X3), replaced once a year.

A lithium battery solution like this would be a lot better. https://flexopower.co.za/products/lithium444-portable-power-pack-by-flexopower - that would give you 10h (based on my calculation above), and being lithium it would last a lot more cycles. R9,000 should give you a multi year solution.

If I've got the math wrong please let me know :)

The math is 50hrs @ 60 cycles and lots of "W"hats over my head ... have a couple of quotes for solutions coming in ... so will see how this rolls.

Thanks for the info!

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Although it pisses me off to have loadshedding over the weekend, I do feel it is a good sign that someone is thinking a little bit.

My guess is that top management is seeing that keeping the lights on at all cost is not going to be affordable in the medium term. Thus the very expensive open cycle gas turbines and diesel generators are given a break over weekend to save cost but in the week when productivity is affected they don't loadshed.

I started getting this feeling when they were able to suspend loadshedding during peak traffic. Which means that they have spare capacity when needed, they just choose not to use it 24/7

Having being out the country now for just over a year I had forgotten a lot of the small nuances and challenges that loadshedding brings. Having a mate from Cape Town spend the weekend with me and talking about it made me sad.

that sounds like something like 500W of power? (150W for each PC power supply and monitor, plus another 150W for the NAS - I'm guessing here). Guessing again, a 3A to 5A  current. 

Working conservatively, what you're looking for is 5A x 5h = 25Ah of battery to run this. This is too much for one of those little UPS units - they are typically 7Ah to 10Ah batteries. Also they're typically not designed for cycling duty so after a few months they are fried. so R1,000 (X3), replaced once a year.

A lithium battery solution like this would be a lot better. https://flexopower.co.za/products/lithium444-portable-power-pack-by-flexopower - that would give you 10h (based on my calculation above), and being lithium it would last a lot more cycles. R9,000 should give you a multi year solution.

If I've got the math wrong please let me know :)

Looks like t runs on Li-Po which would be pretty far from my first choice for storage. LiFEPo4 is a lot better for cycling and doesnt end up bloating like Li-Po.

• 1 month later...

Apparently the demand will drop by anything between 6000MW to 9000MW.

Time to catch up on that long discussed Maintenance Backlog. But will they...?

Apparently the demand will drop by anything between 6000MW to 9000MW.

Time to catch up on that long discussed Maintenance Backlog. But will they...?

Its down 6000MW since last night already.

Apparently there is a shortage of parts in the country due to corona but the maintenance that can be done will go ahead.

• 4 months later...

What a stupid thing to say Sep 2021, like they've been able to plan even one day ahead accurately...