2015 FNB Wines2Whales

JasonS

Can't wait for the weekend. :thumbup:  :clap:

btw, Tires I'm running, Geax Barzo upfront, Geax Saguano at the back, come rain or shine. Will take the Mezcal along as backup.

Flip, if I could, I would ride it again this weekend!

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very possible you did the whole route then, if something was taken out it might have been the new singletrack climb & downhill close to the finish line (think we pretty much destroyed the downhill section there...  :whistling: )

Hamilton Russell climb and mineshaft downhill was out, we came in on the right hand side of the road, everything left of the road we did not ride!!!

Just saw on facebook a friend who came second in mixed said she was blown off bike twice,,rain so hard it hurt and they shortened the race after C batch. At the market at lourensford eating. And erm drinking

People bailed out at water point 2 from the first 4 batches, but the route was not shortend, I started in G and rode the whole route, storm only hit us for an hour or so, after that was very pleasant.

What a crappy day, I have never been so cold in my life, only cycled with a shirt as weather looked ok. Friends of mine started in f, h ,i and down and they missed the black route barrel loop area. Which cut out approx. 35min. This has to be the only time that I got blown off the singletrack into the field.... but what a lovely day at the end.

Re tyre choice: I had Barzo's on front and back. They were the beezneez. I knew that they were working because my riding partner joked about all the mud he was eating from my rear wheel. Only his teeth and eyes were showing at the finish line (I was much the same as we took turns to lead out). We passed riders as if they were looking for parking after losing time at WP 2 trying to get my shifter sorted. Best thing ever as the near the back end there was little or no congestion and the bits that there were some walking, we got a passage through and some loud applause at the more technical sections. The only time I walked yesterday was when my gearing was too heavy for me going up some of the ST sections after WP 2. Never once walked an obstacle.

I don't consider myself a very technically inclined rider, but believe that my technical skills were above par to the "average" rider doing these events. There is a serious gap in the market to upskill riders. 2 things needs to happen though, 1. Riders need to recognise that their skills are lacking, 2. Skills coaching needs more attention with these events and possibly more support from the events to make them more enjoyable for everyone. A video clip every 2 to 3 months from an event is not enough to upskill riders imo. I see riders doing private gym training sessions, cadence, etc. with very little dedicated skills training.

Re tyre choice: I had Barzo's on front and back. They were the beezneez. I knew that they were working because my riding partner joked about all the mud he was eating from my rear wheel. Only his teeth and eyes were showing at the finish line (I was much the same as we took turns to lead out). We passed riders as if they were looking for parking after losing time at WP 2 trying to get my shifter sorted. Best thing ever as the near the back end there was little or no congestion and the bits that there were some walking, we got a passage through and some loud applause at the more technical sections. The only time I walked yesterday was when my gearing was too heavy for me going up some of the ST sections after WP 2. Never once walked an obstacle.

I don't consider myself a very technically inclined rider, but believe that my technical skills were above par to the "average" rider doing these events. There is a serious gap in the market to upskill riders. 2 things needs to happen though, 1. Riders need to recognise that their skills are lacking, 2. Skills coaching needs more attention with these events and possibly more support from the events to make them more enjoyable for everyone. A video clip every 2 to 3 months from an event is not enough to upskill riders imo. I see riders doing private gym training sessions, cadence, etc. with very little dedicated skills training.

Couldn't agree more with you. It was scary to see the lack of skill which seemed to be he norm.

I have a new small Ladies W2W racing jersey that I would like to swop for Mens Medium or Large.

I got a last minute substitution entry.

I have a new small Ladies W2W racing jersey that I would like to swop for Mens Medium or Large.

Why don't you try to swap at the race registration on Thursday? (If you don't come right here). 

They allowed you to swap at the Adventure registration.

You can swap at the race office behind the FNB Chill Lounge. 

I don't consider myself a very technically inclined rider, but believe that my technical skills were above par to the "average" rider doing these events. There is a serious gap in the market to upskill riders. 2 things needs to happen though, 1. Riders need to recognise that their skills are lacking, 2. Skills coaching needs more attention with these events and possibly more support from the events to make them more enjoyable for everyone. A video clip every 2 to 3 months from an event is not enough to upskill riders imo. I see riders doing private gym training sessions, cadence, etc. with very little dedicated skills training.

Check out the topic Skill Levels and Rider Etiquette, I found the exact same problem with the skill levels of the riders this weekend

Check out the topic Skill Levels and Rider Etiquette, I found the exact same problem with the skill levels of the riders this weekend

I don't see it as much of a problem as it is an opportunity. I've got 2 W2W bags and a jacket. I'd much rather get 2 hours with a good technical coach next year if it was up to me.

I don't see it as much of a problem as it is an opportunity. I've got 2 W2W bags and a jacket. I'd much rather get 2 hours with a good technical coach next year if it was up to me.

Ride yourself into a better group to avoid getting stuck behind as you say "unskilled" riders. 

The day the race can be entered by anyone with enough money and a bike, you subject yourself to sharing the trails with all sorts, complaining about it is in vain as you can't force someone to attend a skills clinic. 

The unskilled rider also paid the same entry fee you and I did, and they are entitled to do the race as they see fit and feel comfortable. 

What a crappy day, I have never been so cold in my life, only cycled with a shirt as weather looked ok. Friends of mine started in f, h ,i and down and they missed the black route barrel loop area. Which cut out approx. 35min. This has to be the only time that I got blown off the singletrack into the field.... but what a lovely day at the end.

I blew just before the first water point on day 2, thinking back it was lack of hydration the night before. It was a massive pitty as riders flew past me on climbs to stop at every switchback or root and walk. Day 3 I felt stronger but worried that I might blow again. Did a 5:05 from G, but were not so lucky as your friends and did the whole route

Ride yourself into a better group to avoid getting stuck behind as you say "unskilled" riders. 

The day the race can be entered by anyone with enough money and a bike, you subject yourself to sharing the trails with all sorts, complaining about it is in vain as you can't force someone to attend a skills clinic. 

The unskilled rider also paid the same entry fee you and I did, and they are entitled to do the race as they see fit and feel comfortable. 

Maybe a fair comment, however, being inconsiderate to fellow riders is not cool, I am fairly quick on single track, but am still aware of anyone faster who maybe wants to pass. No probs in doing so, however, slower guys just couldn't care less.

spot on, skilled sections make up less than 2% of most races meaning a fit rider will finish ahead of the skilled guy who enjoys his downhills etc... so as they need to skill up maybe others should get stronger in the flats and hills.