Not sure if we've kicked this off but the season has kicked off. Will Wiggins take out Roubaix? Will Sagan make this his year? Will Spaticus and party boy Boonan show the new guard what flahute is all about? How is Nacer set for MSR? Will GVA actually win anything!?!

After Roubaix was voted one day race of the year and cobbled stage of the tour was voted stage of the year it seems everyone is getting hyped and ready for the kick off of the best time of the cycling season. It's had to hand combat, long races, tough kms, sun, rain, snow and mud (or dust).

Finally, if you love the hard races, the climbs, the cobbles, pave, the sh*tty weather, the pain the beauty and the horror then, just for 1 moment, imagine what might happen if Spartacus, Boonan and Twiggy rolled onto the velodrome together...

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Spring classics[edit]

• Milan – San Remo (Italy) – the first true Classic of the year, its Italian name is La Primavera (the spring), this race is normally held on the Sunday closest to the first day of spring. First run in 1907.

Cobbled classics

Tour of Flanders (Belgium) – Vlaanderens mooiste ("Flanders's most beautiful") is normally raced in early April. First held in 1913. Known in English as the "Tour of Flanders" and in Flemish/Dutch as "de Ronde van Vlaanderen".

Paris–Roubaix (France) – La Reine ("Queen of the Classics") or l'Enfer du Nord ("Hell of the North") is traditionally one week after the Tour of Flanders, and was first raced in 1896.

Ardennes classics

• Amstel Gold Race (the Netherlands) – normally held in mid-April. First run in 1966, it is one of the three "Ardennes Classics."

• La Flèche Wallonne (Belgium) – first run in 1936, Walloon Arrow is traditionally held mid-week between the Amstel Gold and Liège–Bastogne–Liège. Second "Ardennes Classic."

Liège–Bastogne–Liège (Belgium) – held in late April. La Doyenne, the oldest Classic, was first held in 1892. It is the third "Ardennes Classic."

Together, Milan – San Remo, the Cobbled classics and the Ardennes classics form the "Spring Classics", all held in March and April.

Spring classics[edit]

• Milan – San Remo (Italy) – the first true Classic of the year, its Italian name is La Primavera (the spring), this race is normally held on the Sunday closest to the first day of spring. First run in 1907.
Cobbled classics
  • Gent–Wevelgem (Belgium) – the first of the "Spring Classics", first held in 1934.
  • E3 Harelbeke (Belgium) – first held in 1958.
  • Tour of Flanders (Belgium) – Vlaanderens mooiste ("Flanders's most beautiful") is normally raced in early April. First held in 1913. Known in English as the "Tour of Flanders" and in Flemish/Dutch as "de Ronde van Vlaanderen".
  • Paris–Roubaix (France) – La Reine ("Queen of the Classics") or l'Enfer du Nord ("Hell of the North") is traditionally one week after the Tour of Flanders, and was first raced in 1896.
Ardennes classics
  • Amstel Gold Race (the Netherlands) – normally held in mid-April. First run in 1966, it is one of the three "Ardennes Classics."
  • La Flèche Wallonne (Belgium) – first run in 1936, Walloon Arrow is traditionally held mid-week between the Amstel Gold and Liège–Bastogne–Liège. Second "Ardennes Classic."
  • Liège–Bastogne–Liège (Belgium) – held in late April. La Doyenne, the oldest Classic, was first held in 1892. It is the third "Ardennes Classic."

Together, Milan – San Remo, the Cobbled classics and the Ardennes classics form the "Spring Classics", all held in March and April.

Do you have this schedule with their dates? (maybe ad it to the first or second post)

The calendar for the upcoming season with the main races and the semi classics.

28 February - Omloop Het Nieuwsblad
01 March - Kuurne-Bruxelles-Kuurne
22 March - Milan-San Remo
25 March - Dwars door Vlaanderen
27 March - E3 Harelbeke
29 March - Gent - Wevelgem
05 April - Tour of Flanders
07 March - Strade Bianche
08 April - Scheldeprijs
12 April - Paris - Roubaix
15 April - De Brabantse Pijl - La Flèche Brabançonne
19 April - Amstel Gold Race
22 April - La Flèche Wallonne
26 April - Liège - Bastogne - Liège

(anyone else not able to edit their posts on mac running safari?)

My kinda thread baby yeah!!

Let's see how much is shown on Dstv.

Otherwise, I'll be streaming.

Love the one-day races.

Without question, my absolute favourite time of the year.

There are so many contenders this year, we can expect 2015 to be a cracking year for the classics!

My punt for this year: Degenkolb. Watch out for this guy. Barring mishap or injury, I see a monument or 2 behind his name this year.

My hope for this year: to see the new MTN lads make their mark. From what they're saying in the press, it certainly sounds like they are all super energised about their new home. I just hope that translates to the road and they all pull 100% for whoever is strongest on the day.

My kinda thread baby yeah!!

Let's see how much is shown on Dstv.

Otherwise, I'll be streaming.

Love the one-day races.

On the 15th of Jan i sent the following email to Multi-choice in the hope of us being able to watch live racing without having to wait for streaming connections etc,

"Good day

As a premium subscriber who has owned a Drifta previously I would like to make a suggestion. The cycling community of South Africa is extremely joyful over the amount of cycling that your company is broadcasting. For that I would like to thank you. As most of the cycling generally happens during the week while everyone is at work, college or school wouldn’t it be advisable if you dedicate ONE channel to cycling only such as SS1 Is for rugby, SS2 is for Cricket, SS3 football (all of which are predominantly played over the weekend when most subscribers are at home to watch on the tv) and then have that channel available on the Walka. Most avid cyclist are business men who don’t have the luxury of sitting at home every day. They run from business meetings to appointments etc. Now if they could catch a tour or race on the move this will massively improve your Walka sales, not to mention the inclusion of MTN-Quebeka in this years Tour da France is sure to increase your sales if this was made available on the Walka device's."

Alas to date i have not yet had a reply.

On the 15th of Jan i sent the following email to Multi-choice in the hope of us being able to watch live racing without having to wait for streaming connections etc,

"Good day

As a premium subscriber who has owned a Drifta previously I would like to make a suggestion. The cycling community of South Africa is extremely joyful over the amount of cycling that your company is broadcasting. For that I would like to thank you. As most of the cycling generally happens during the week while everyone is at work, college or school wouldn’t it be advisable if you dedicate ONE channel to cycling only such as SS1 Is for rugby, SS2 is for Cricket, SS3 football (all of which are predominantly played over the weekend when most subscribers are at home to watch on the tv) and then have that channel available on the Walka. Most avid cyclist are business men who don’t have the luxury of sitting at home every day. They run from business meetings to appointments etc. Now if they could catch a tour or race on the move this will massively improve your Walka sales, not to mention the inclusion of MTN-Quebeka in this years Tour da France is sure to increase your sales if this was made available on the Walka device's."

Alas to date i have not yet had a reply.

You did it wrong :whistling:  You're supposed to make it sound like their idea, now you're just telling them what to do...

All kidding aside, it would be awesome if they showed the race again in the evenings (I'm still young, can't afford a Walka)